Options

Male photogs what do you wear?

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited April 11, 2010 in Weddings
Do you guys own/rent a tux, do your wear a suit, do you go casual?

Im sure the answer is depends on the wedding right lol.

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    A pink thong rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    I will show up in a suit.......but before the first 30 minutes are up I have stripped down to just my vest shirt and tie...........very comforable shoes are a must....especially for a diabetic.

My vests are full vests that I have made by local tailors.....I supply the material and get a vest back in a week or 2.

Even at the most formal wedding I am down to the vest in short order but I have a chronic sweating problem.....My internal furnace runs hot and my normal temp instead of 98.6 is a little over 99 degrees.........I live in shorts and tee shirts year around and sandals or "tennis" shoes.................have not used a furnace in my home in over 15yrs......that is how HOT Natured I am.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    For me I dress like I am going to play golf at a nice country club.
    You are working not going to a wedding.
    If I had to wear a suit or tux I would not take the wedding...that's just not me....

I spend to much time sitting on the ground and crawling over stuff to wear anything suitlike.
    Just my take on it..
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    I second the thong!

I dress like I was going on a little more formal of a date.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    Black. comfortable black loafers, black slacks, black button up shirt. Helps me blend into the background, I'm not there to participate, i'm there to document.
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    In all seriousness...I wear darker colored clothing. Dress shirt, dress pants. Like Zoomer, on the ground, up on chairs, laying under stuff...but we're there to work, so I like to dress "blending" in with the crowd. The pink thong has proven to be a bit much for most so decided to leave it home :D:D:D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    In all seriousness...I wear darker colored clothing. Dress shirt, dress pants. Like Zoomer, on the ground, up on chairs, laying under stuff...but we're there to work, so I like to dress "blending" in with the crowd. The pink thong has proven to be a bit much for most so decided to leave it home :D:D:D
    rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2010
    I own a tux...I will wear it IF and only if I am requested to specifically or if I know it is a REAL black tie wedding (starts after 6pm). I also have a nice black suit which can pass for a tux at a "not really black tie" wedding, that is a wedding where at least 1 guest is not wearing a tux. So yeah, my basic principle is to dress better than what I anticipate being the most casually dressed guest. Usually this does not include a jacket or tie, but I keep both in a garment bag in my car. I hate ties and I avoid them whenever possible, but I still don't want to look like a bum. My normal outfit is a french cuff shirt black or white and black pants. I wear Clarks slipons...most comfortable, lightest, semi dressy, near athletic soled shoe I've ever tried on.
  • Options
    SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I'd like to blend in and disappear to the background during parties and weddings. My style is more PJ, so not being noticed is good. This means for one wedding wearing a suit, and for another more casual.
    This might sound silly, but I never wear something that makes noise. There is nothing more humiliating than squeaky shoes during a ceremony...mwink.gif
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Drives me crazy when a photographer is way under dressed for an event. I've seen too many dressed like they are going fishing! I would say slacks and a button down would be appropriate. Many wedding professionals (photographers, caterers, florists, musicians, coordinators, etc.) opt for the all black look.

I wear a dress or skirt that's long enough and with a modest neckline and dressy flats or low heels. I like to look stylish, even when I'm working. I don't think I've ever worn a pink thong.

Caroline
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    Yeah, it all depends on what the guests are expected to wear. I too own a tux and a couple suits. I've never had to wear the tux as the photographer before - but I have one! Dark colors are usually good. Please, do not wear a dorky photographer's vest. I cant stand it when photographer's wear those. Agree with the comfortable shoes. I also run hot, but I dont think I'm diabetic... yet...

Like others have said. The goal is to not stand out. Ask the bride what you should wear if you're not sure. But, just in case, keep that pink thong handy just in case. rolleyes1.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Thanks for all the tips guys... Im definently leaning more towards black and comfortable, but will double check with the bride and groom to make sure its not strict black tie. Im second shooting this wedding with a partner and he told me I need to get a suit... But being jammed up in a coat all day doesnt sound comfortable to me!.... Definently no on the vest!...

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Yeah, it all depends on what the guests are expected to wear. I too own a tux and a couple suits. I've never had to wear the tux as the photographer before - but I have one! Dark colors are usually good. Please, do not wear a dorky photographer's vest. I cant stand it when photographer's wear those. Agree with the comfortable shoes. I also run hot, but I dont think I'm diabetic... yet...

Like others have said. The goal is to not stand out. Ask the bride what you should wear if you're not sure. But, just in case, keep that pink thong handy just in case. rolleyes1.gif

I love my photographer's pocket protector! Just kidding!

I really keep it simple, I wear my button down dark blue shirt and tan khakis with dress loafers.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    johnmirelesjohnmireles Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    For me it depends on the wedding and the time of year. For most of my weddings, I wear a suit. I have a rack of suits, shirts and ties so I can wear something season appropriate. In the summer, a light tan suit with a brown or pink tie. In the spring, black with pin-stripes, a green shirt and green tie. Fall means fall colors like orange or reds.

I like walking in like well-dressed guest. Usually, my colors match the bride's florals so I look like I belong. I tend to shoot fairly high-end affairs so it's important for me to look good.

When it's in the middle of summer and it's hot, I'll wear black pants and black polo shirt. If it's a more formal affair, I'll go with the suit. One thing I rarely do if I'm wearing a suit is take off my coat. Sometimes if I'm doing a lot of running around it comes off. I always keep my tie on and I never loosen it until I get in the car to go home.

Even for black tie events, I don't wear a tux. The only photographrs I see wearing tuxes are usually the cheesy cheap guys from yesteryear. I think logo wear is fine for the guys at the quickie lube shop, but not for a wedding.

My philosophy is that I want to look great and project a sense of high-value. People pay a lot of money for me to show up at their wedding so I want to look the part. Looking good also gives people confidence in my abilities.

John
  • Options
    astrostuastrostu Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    What the guests are expected to wear.

I also have it on the cover info sheet of my contract where the couple is supposed to fill in the attire. You know -- casual, dress, Indian, tux, wookie, etc.

Body: Canon 350D, Canon 7D
    Lenses: Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-4.5, Quantaray 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, Quantaray 600-1000mm f/9.6-16
    Flashes: Canon 430EX, Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    I've only been second shooter at weddings, never the primary, but...

As second shooter I wear a black suit with a white shirt and a black tux vest. My primary always wears a tux to any formal wedding. He started out wearing a nice suit, but later upgraded to a good quality tux that can take the pounding a wedding photog will give it. The feedback he's gotten from his clients on his appearance has been unanimously excellent. For more casual weddings, he has worn dress slacks with a button-down shirt and tie; he's never gone less formal than that. He always checks on appropriate dress level with the clients in advance.

I have attended many formal weddings as a guest, where the photographer or videographer were dressed in dark polo shirts, and I thought they stuck out more than anyone else, despite the dark colors. Blending is not just about color, and not just about style, it's about both; a tux at a casual wedding is as inappropriate as a Van Halen t-shirt at a formal wedding.

If you're going to shoot weddings, you need to be prepared for all levels of dress from casual to full formal, and ask the clients ahead of time how they would prefer you to dress.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2010
    Im almost starting to think a buttoned jacket would be a restraint in getting down and dirty with some photos... Bending over with one of those things on just seems like it would be restrictive?

• Options
    edited April 6, 2010
    I usually take the jacket off. Especially if I'm getting down on the ground.
    Jer
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    I'm not a dude and this is a dude thread, but I have started to ask "I was thinking about wearing/I usually wear something like ____. Do you think that would work?" when meeting with the bride.

And then I make a note because I'm forgetful :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2010
    astrostu wrote:
    You know -- casual, dress, Indian, tux, wookie, etc.

rolleyes1.gif wookie rolleyes1.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Kevin CTMPKevin CTMP Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I wear all black...black shirt, shoes, pants, and black and silver tie, that way no attention is drawn to myself. Never a jacket, too hot, and i move around too much. If I don't wear black I will usually try to match the bridal party, I leave the decision up to the bride :) thats always a safe bet :) I will only wear a tux if the event is formal, and if that is the case, the bride and groom are responsible for the rental fee.
  • Options
    SMSSMS Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2010
    Just Blend In
    JayClark79 wrote:
    Do you guys own/rent a tux, do your wear a suit, do you go casual?

Im sure the answer is depends on the wedding right lol.
    Wear dark clothing, not the bright flower polka dot shirt your aunt gave you, dark clothing will allow you to move without being picked up by everyone. You want everyone to watch the bride & groom and not you. Black dress pants, black cotton button up shirt w/o a tie, black shoes and black belt.... Did I say BLACK :D. I attached a photo a guest took during a wedding of my outfit. If it is an after 6 evening wedding step it up a level and put on a jacket and a tie. Just my 2 cents.... You will do fine.. Good Luck
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    SMS wrote:
    Wear dark clothing, not the bright flower polka dot shirt your aunt gave you, dark clothing will allow you to move without being picked up by everyone. You want everyone to watch the bride & groom and not you. Black dress pants, black cotton button up shirt w/o a tie, black shoes and black belt.... Did I say BLACK :D. I attached a photo a guest took during a wedding of my outfit. If it is an after 6 evening wedding step it up a level and put on a jacket and a tie. Just my 2 cents.... You will do fine.. Good Luck

is that a monopod? eek7.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    SMSSMS Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2010
    Monopod it is
    is that a monopod? eek7.gif

It is a manfrotto mono pod, one of their larger ones. The very very low res png file twisted the big block pixels on the angle and it looks like a ribbon. Twisted!!!!
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    I have now shot one wedding, and I was required to wear jeans, a Red Sox jersey and cap. It was fun.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    I have now shot one wedding, and I was required to wear jeans, a Red Sox jersey and cap. It was fun.

At my wedding on May 8th I have to wear chucks... its gonna be awesome!
    --
    Yeah, the pixelation makes it look like a ribbon. But I can pick a manfrotto out of a pic anyday!
    Jer
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:

I'm disappointed, Swartzy rolleyes1.gif Geez - some people just have NO sense of fun. Can't you just wear a black one instead?!

~ducks and runs~ rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Form follows function for me. Range of movement, darker colors unless it is a mid-summer outdoor, won't break the bank if I trash them, layers are important in iffy/changing weather, rubber sole shoes, undershirt to tame the sweat. I also keep a couple of bandannas in my case to use as a headband and/or wipe my face when it gets really hot... can't shoot with sweat in my eyes!

Usually I wear slacks and a button up shirt. I have a few pairs of Johnston and Murphy shoes that are worth their weight in gold. Dead of summer I usually go with a silk short sleeve shirt. People know you are there working and in most cases want to see you working hard. Sweat is a result of that! I usually keep an extra shirt in the car in case I need to change, but an undershirt helps a lot and pasta is a far bigger enemy for me.

I have a closet full of suits but they stay there when I'm working. If somebody ever requested a suit I would happily oblige and for true black tie if they wanted me in a tux I would rent one with a neck 3 sizes to big to let the steam escape and add $150 to cover it... NBD. I get people asking me what I wear but never yet a request or complaint.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes