Options

Home Again

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited April 12, 2010 in People
My oldest daughter spent the week at home for Easter break. We didnt do easter dress pics of our girls, but she did want a few for her facebook page. In any event, it gave me a chance to do some pp experimentation.

Heres a few...

1-
832645241_YdQj5-L.jpg
2- This ended up too dark, but I do like the conversion when boosted like the last few shots here.
832645627_4i4UH-L.jpg
3-
832645870_t92B4-L.jpg
4-
832646306_D24Ye-L.jpg
5- These last three are my faves...I am liking the 50mm F1.4 more and more.
832647792_kFyRv-L.jpg
6-
832647567_bU7A9-L.jpg
7-
832647181_ci3aj-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Wow! I'm loving 1,3,4,5 and 6! Such a pretty girl! My absolute top pick is #4! So classy and beautiful! Gorgeous shots.clap.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    #5 FTW!!!clap.gif

One of your best. I love the PP and the crop. superb portrait!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    #4 for me... but stunners, every single one.

At first I wasn't a fan of your conversion on #2, but in conjunction with the last few... it makes it work.

Purdy!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    I obviously have nothing to add. You nailed them, she's incredibly gorgeous and your processing is sweet. The first one takes my breath away.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    +1 on #1...., but really just wonderful images!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    Great work. The 50mm 1.4 is just "butta". :D (that's "butter" with a cheesy Northern accent)
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    bowdown.gif
    The photos are beautiful. The subject is amazing. The pp is the icing on the cake!

Again.... bowdown.gif
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Wow! I'm loving 1,3,4,5 and 6! Such a pretty girl! My absolute top pick is #4! So classy and beautiful! Gorgeous shots.clap.gif

Thanks Kelly!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Mitchell wrote:
    #5 FTW!!!clap.gif

One of your best. I love the PP and the crop. superb portrait!

One of my best?

IDK about that!rolleyes1.gif

5, 6 and 7 were all existing light.....in our backyard....the rest used an OCF and umbrella.

I had a couple cool ones where the sun was backlighing her and some dapple was serving as a hairlight. It was an interesting effect. Maybe Ill post one of them this week if I get a chance.

I was all set to go to Orlando....and hit the parks this summer, but my older daughter wanted to go study in England for the summer and my youngest is thinking of starting college this summer. So......we will be sticking with Destin again for a week. Things are crazy when ur kids get older. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for weighing in.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    #4 for me... but stunners, every single one.

At first I wasn't a fan of your conversion on #2, but in conjunction with the last few... it makes it work.

Purdy!

Im not a fan of the look of #2......but it grew on me with the others.

TRA Old School sumthin or other....ne_nau.gif

Does "purdy" mean it's purdy good?...or what?

I thought all the rednecks lived down this way...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    I obviously have nothing to add. You nailed them, she's incredibly gorgeous and your processing is sweet. The first one takes my breath away.

Thanks Fred....

Oh wait...Im all screwed up!!!:D

Seriously, I appreciate the kind remarks.

#1 seems a tad bright to me...and it really killed me not to go really warm with it....cause you know I wanna!eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    +1 on #1...., but really just wonderful images!

Thanks Andrew.

PS. Theres a CTB involved in the ones that utilized flash.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    SO lovely. She's gorgeous. The light and the comps and the processing...just stunning.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Great work. The 50mm 1.4 is just "butta". :D (that's "butter" with a cheesy Northern accent)

Its sharp enough to draw blood at F4, but that isn't my preference. Id rather use F2.....but you gotta choose your spots....and be VEEEERY careful. Things get mighty thin at F2 on a frame filler like the last few.

The others (I think) were shot with the 70-200 F2.8IS.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Wachel wrote:
    bowdown.gif
    The photos are beautiful. The subject is amazing. The pp is the icing on the cake!

Again.... bowdown.gif

thumb.gif I appreciate that!!!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    SO lovely. She's gorgeous. The light and the comps and the processing...just stunning.

Hey Elaine...thank you....

I was thinking about you the other day...wondering what you have been up to. Shoot anything lately? How's the family?ne_nau.gif

I gotta tell you . This girl sends me texts from 2 hours away telling me shes coming home in a few weeks and wants her photo taken.....and I nearly have to BEG her younger sis to sit in front of the camera. Funny how they are so un-alike in that regard.

But get this...my youngest is begging me to assist for a few senior shoots I am doing this week. I know she wants to earn some cash, but seriously...I can't figure them out.headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

She had a prom tonight...and Im trying to upload those shots....so we got some of her this weekend too!mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    Heres a SOOC (basically) shot with the sun on her back and some dappled light as a hairlight. 45 in umbrella camera left with the 580 shooting through.

833480148_Et3eQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hey Elaine...thank you....

I was thinking about you the other day...wondering what you have been up to. Shoot anything lately? How's the family?ne_nau.gif

I gotta tell you . This girl sends me texts from 2 hours away telling me shes coming home in a few weeks and wants her photo taken.....and I nearly have to BEG her younger sis to sit in front of the camera. Funny how they are so un-alike in that regard.

But get this...my youngest is begging me to assist for a few senior shoots I am doing this week. I know she wants to earn some cash, but seriously...I can't figure them out.headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

She had a prom tonight...and Im trying to upload those shots....so we got some of her this weekend too!mwink.gif

Hey, Jeff! Kids are funny. Maybe your youngest will take after you and become the photographer? At least your older daughter has provided you lots of practice...makes getting those shots of your youngest a bit easier...maybe.

I've reached a strange point of burn-out. It sounds completely selfish, and it's not like I've had a booming business or anything, but I'm tired of shooting (and editing) for anyone else. Life has become a bit more crazy lately, so I'm trying to finish up some projects (big edits and an album) and then just shoot for fun for me and my family for now. And I want to get some family albums made as well. Anywhoo...I'm still shooting, but I'm trying to be very choosy about what I shoot and when. Here's a link to a recent fave of my boy. I haven't posted for awhile because I don't often have the time to spend commenting on other posts and I don't want to just post for my own gratification. I do check in for some inspiration, though, and your posts are included in that!
    Elaine

• Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    Hey, Jeff! Kids are funny. Maybe your youngest will take after you and become the photographer? At least your older daughter has provided you lots of practice...makes getting those shots of your youngest a bit easier...maybe.

I've reached a strange point of burn-out. It sounds completely selfish, and it's not like I've had a booming business or anything, but I'm tired of shooting (and editing) for anyone else. Life has become a bit more crazy lately, so I'm trying to finish up some projects (big edits and an album) and then just shoot for fun for me and my family for now. And I want to get some family albums made as well. Anywhoo...I'm still shooting, but I'm trying to be very choosy about what I shoot and when. Here's a link to a recent fave of my boy. I haven't posted for awhile because I don't often have the time to spend commenting on other posts and I don't want to just post for my own gratification. I do check in for some inspiration, though, and your posts are included in that!

Elaine that's a GREAT looking photograph and I really like th contrasty conversion.thumb.gif

I too have little time to spend HERE. I am trying to spend some quality time with my aging father-in-law, and the kids really keep us busy as well. I too am burnt out in some aspects. I am thinking of NOT quoting for any weddings...EVER. Yet I really enjoy doing E-sessions.ne_nau.gif

Luckily ( I guess) even my senior business is slow this year....which although I hate taking the hit on business it has helped some with the burn-out. I blame the hit on business partly on the economy...but there is also a senior girl at the high school nearest me shooting senior pics for $50......$75 edited. I cant go there....and there are others shooting for even less than that.headscratch.gif

I can't compete with that....and dont wanna.

You and I have covered this topic before...."what got you started in this anyway?".....put THAT in your viewfinder and shoot it!:D
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Elaine that's a GREAT looking photograph and I really like th contrasty conversion.thumb.gif

I too have little time to spend HERE. I am trying to spend some quality time with my aging father-in-law, and the kids really keep us busy as well. I too am burnt out in some aspects. I am thinking of NOT quoting for any weddings...EVER. Yet I really enjoy doing E-sessions.ne_nau.gif

Luckily ( I guess) even my senior business is slow this year....which although I hate taking the hit on business it has helped some with the burn-out. I blame the hit on business partly on the economy...but there is also a senior girl at the high school nearest me shooting senior pics for $50......$75 edited. I cant go there....and there are others shooting for even less than that.headscratch.gif

I can't compete with that....and dont wanna.

You and I have covered this topic before...."what got you started in this anyway?".....put THAT in your viewfinder and shoot it!:D

Thanks, Jeff! Yep, I've been thinking often of that thought..."what got you started in this anyway?"...and aiming at that.

Wow...$75 for edited senior pics. I wouldn't want to compete with that either. I even tried...once. Well, not really, but I did give someone a "favor" quote for $100 with $25 going towards prints for senior shots...and I never heard anything back. Oh well. I think I'm just not cut out for this business. So, I'll keep it for pleasure. Unfortunately, pleasure does not help pay for new goodies...like that 135 f/2 I'm still pining after! rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

ahem, Mr. Jeff, there's somebody that lives RIGHT down the street that would LOVE some wedding practice. :D I'm not naming names or anything, but she's a HUGE fan of your work.

REALLY???!!! Do I wanna know who this is, because it DEFINITELY isn't me, we're WAY over that.

But the second question is "Is she any good?" or has it gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if they're *good* as long as they get the job done?
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    ahem, Mr. Jeff, there's somebody that lives RIGHT down the street that would LOVE some wedding practice. :D I'm not naming names or anything, but she's a HUGE fan of your work.

REALLY???!!! Do I wanna know who this is, because it DEFINITELY isn't me, we're WAY over that.

But the second question is "Is she any good?" or has it gotten to the point where it doesn't matter if they're *good* as long as they get the job done?

Is she....they any good? Heck if I know...I havent seen photos.ne_nau.gif

Ive met a lot of photogs while out shooting and traded biz cards....I havent seen anything yet that makes me want to rush out and change what I am doing though.rolleyes1.gif

...and no...I wasnt referring to you...a mother whom I had spent time with on a consult emailed me to say they were taking another route. In a quest to determine if my salesmanship...or lack of had broken the deal she said no....she had no negative comments but that a photographer in Lafayette had offered to shoot them for free.