Mini-Challenge #93 -- High Dynamic Range Imaging

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited May 1, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini-Challenge #93

Your theme is: High Dynamic Range Imaging

As a landscape and nature photographer, this past year I have been taking more and more photos utilizing multiple exposures merged in post-processing into a single 32-bit image.

I want to see 3 of your HDR images. Theme and subject matter are not as important. I want to see prime examples of the technique. For extra credit, also, consider posting one of the single exposures (the average exposure) to show what the processing did for the picture.

If HDR processing is something you already use, then post your best three. If it is something new to you, here's a tutorial for how to do it in Photoshop (as well as a good overview of the technique):

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/HDR_ps/hdr-ps.htm

If you do not have Photoshop, here is a link to download a trial version of Photomatix Pro (which I believe generally works better then PS for this purpose anyway). I believe the trial version leaves a watermark on the final image, but I will look beyond the watermark for the purposes of judging, especially seeing you're trying something new:

http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html

This is a tutorial on using Photomatix for HDR processing:

http://abduzeedo.com/how-create-hdr-photos-hdrphotomatix-tutorial

Probably the best known HDR photographer working right now is smugmug's own Trey Ratcliff:

http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/Portfolio-The-Best/your-favorites/10668747_AuyBk#742619174_op5RY

Here's his tutorial:

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

I favor using HDR processing to keep scenes more natural looking. Some HDR photographs you see (e.g., some of Trey's) have an obvious, super-saturated, blown-out HDR look to them. And they stand on their own. But I prefer photographs that are processed to better reveal what my eyes actually saw. That make up for the weakness of cameras that have to expose for only a single part of a scene (whereas our eyes can fluidly guide around a scene and expose for multiple regions at a time).

The challenge starts April 7, 2010 and ends APRIL 21, 2010 at midnight (EDT).

Thanks and good luck!

Here are some samples (I will post average exposures later, when I can go back and find them!):

827259640_D8uEd-L.jpg

727144846_77YXF-L.jpg

683452331_FzAgE-L.jpg

761898338_oXP8d-L.jpg

601440506_zGNCM-L.jpg

652354172_b8YPm-L.jpg

===============================
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Golden Gate Sunrise
    802661146_HP6oK-L.jpg

Race Ready
    804136757_F3U2d-L.jpg

Baker Beach Sunset
    812291762_A7Bbi-XL.jpg
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 7, 2010
    1. Under the Rainbow....
    800532337_yUuZb-L-1.jpg

2. The Birds..
    793883828_qDnZR-L.jpg

3. Clearing Storm...
    620568144_bCTmr-L.jpg
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Kyle, loving the Golden Gate Bridge. And Joyce, I remember marveling at your rainbow. Nice job!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Beautiful stuff everyone.
    GH, your first image wtih the trees is something special. So good!

Here's a link to a recent hunting expedition at the Getty. The images containing people were not HDR.

http://paulfrocchi.smugmug.com/2010/Light-and-LIne-Hunting-at-the/11717731_U5nNV#827073176_Ff7oe
    edited April 7, 2010
    Froch wrote:

Here's a link to a recent hunting expedition at the Getty. The images containing people were not HDR.

Paul, those are great. Dump a couple of them in here for the challenge!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 7, 2010
    Thanks Greg!
    They're outside the challenge date. I have new glass coming Friday, so hope to get out and shoot this weekend.
    But once I have something, I should post here? There isn't a gallery, correct?
    edited April 7, 2010
    Froch wrote:
    Thanks Greg!
    They're outside the challenge date.

No dates on the Mini-Challenges! No gallery. No EXIF data. Just post them in the thread.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 7, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    No dates on the Mini-Challenges! No gallery. No EXIF data. Just post them in the thread.
    great
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Mono Lake Tufas at Sunrise:

570847333_HRXa7-XL.jpg

Guarding the City:

618618637_NzhmC-L.jpg

Arches:

492468355_aJbs2-XL.jpg
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited April 8, 2010
    GG from FtPoint
    664519254_ye2Yu-M-1.jpg

WDisneyMusic
    692943220_3ZSLw-M-1.jpg

Getty
    827033923_PPNPr-M.jpg

UnionStation
    699556059_Loy9Q-M-1.jpg
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Ineligible but want to share anyway
    I do not want these to count towards judging. Since I have recently been experimenting more with HDR in the last few months I thought I would at least put my three in for fun.

Hatley Castle
    821493729_FLpSx-L.jpg

Inside Stone
    828127785_HP3H6-L-1.jpg

Waiting for Gas
    828073504_CFRNG-L-1.jpg

I guess HDR is out for the regular DSS rounds now rolleyes1.gif

Note: I think it was nightpixels that inspired my HDR adventures as of late. His work is quite bold and flavorful. (see post #10) clap.gif
    edited April 8, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Note: I think it was nightpixels that inspired my HDR adventures as of late. His work is quite bold and flavorful. (see post #10) clap.gif

Thanks! I have a love-hate relationship with HDR. I love the HDR images that are not immediately recognizable as HDRs. One thing that turns me off about HDR is when people go way overboard with it to a point that their images don't look like a photograph anymore, but just an illustration/drawing. There is a fine-line between those 2. It can be quite tempting, especially in the beginning, to fall on the side where the images don't look like photographs anymore.
    Allen Parseghian

edited April 8, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    I guess HDR is out for the regular DSS rounds now rolleyes1.gif

I hope you still do it. In the regular DSS, people would be forced to do it in the time period. And to try it if they haven't.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 8, 2010
    I love the HDR images that are not immediately recognizable as HDRs. One thing that turns me off about HDR is when people go way overboard with it to a point that their images don't look like a photograph anymore, but just an illustration/drawing. There is a fine-line between those 2. It can be quite tempting, especially in the beginning, to fall on the side where the images don't look like photographs anymore.

I completely agree. I push the sliders around until I lose that illustration look.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 8, 2010
    Thanks! I have a love-hate relationship with HDR. I love the HDR images that are not immediately recognizable as HDRs. One thing that turns me off about HDR is when people go way overboard with it to a point that their images don't look like a photograph anymore, but just an illustration/drawing. There is a fine-line between those 2. It can be quite tempting, especially in the beginning, to fall on the side where the images don't look like photographs anymore.

Although I've seen some VERY SPECIAL images that use the technique to generate an effect, I'm in your camp Allen. I work towards using the technique with the hope to show a wider dynamic range of brightness.
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I'm wondering what software people are using for these. The only ones that I know are photomatrix and photoshop. Any other ones that you guys use?
    edited April 8, 2010
    There are several other options out there, but PS and Photomatix are the primary ones used. There is a new option called HDR PhotoPro that has received some positive reviews. Looks to have a nicer interface then Photomatix. I just recently downloaded a trial version and my initial impression is that it doesn't work as well for me as Photomatix, but I don't know if that is just a matter of familiarity right now. I think PS, by default, creates a more natural looking image than Photomatix. But PS is really, really slow in loading 7 or 9 exposures, and gives you less tonemapping control.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Ok. I use Photomatrix and like it. It seems to be the most used software. Next time I shoot HDR, I'll run it through Photoshop to see what it looks like.
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Photomatix and PS7
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I've tried various HDR techniques over the last year or so. I have gravitated towards a more natural look lately. Here are three of mine.

#1 View from the Boston Public Gardens Towards Copley Square

831110364_sEuAz-L.jpg

This is a Photomatix HDR but post processed in Photoshop to adjust the contrast and blend in more natural features in the sky

#2 Providence Waterfires

663883592_ukHUd-L.jpg

#3 Jordan Pond Blend

679681430_J79Vo-L.jpg

This is a two exposure blending using masking techniques in Photoshop
    edited April 8, 2010
    It looks like Photoshop CS5 is going to have some new built-in HDR functionality (see before and after):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=161171&id=6147239684&ref=mf

Just for the record, I am not too crazy about the way the picture shown in the page I have linked to is processed.
    Allen Parseghian

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 8, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    Kyle, loving the Golden Gate Bridge. And Joyce, I remember marveling at your rainbow. Nice job!

thank you so much!

Really lovely work everyone!
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    A shot I took near Multnomah when I first moved up to Oregon.

gorge.jpg

Aspen in October that I shot near Reno, up Mt. Rose freeway.

aspen3.jpg

A beach in Big Sur. Not quite satisfied with this, I didn't have a tripod with me.

bigsur.jpg
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
    edited April 9, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    I'm wondering what software people are using for these. The only ones that I know are photomatrix and photoshop. Any other ones that you guys use?

Photomatix, PSCS3
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2010
    USS Arizona's Anchor
    283234710_CzpGh-L.jpg

Volcano
    790289593_mtGok-L.jpg
  • bf2015bf2015 Registered Users Posts: 523 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    1. Morning Light

833529209_dpU43-XL.jpg

2. 14 Shot HDR Pan

654335235_X6tYv-XL.jpg

3. 16 Shot HDR Pan (210mm)

759939457_GcwGx-XL.jpg
    edited April 11, 2010
    Excellent!

Anyone trying this out for the first time?
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 13, 2010
    I want to bump this thread back up by sharing another example from this past weekend:

832643932_wZ6tz-M.jpg

Fenway Park
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Wow! There are some really beautiful HDRs in this thread. I don't have many to chose from, but thought I would share three of my favorites shot with a Pentax K7 with in-camera HDR.

819088988_apUZL-L.jpg

819106147_96iWB-L.jpg

819107955_ipW2J-XL.jpg
    edited April 13, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    I want to bump this thread back up by sharing another example from this past weekend:

832643932_wZ6tz-160x160.jpg

Fenway Park
    Is it cool to add a couple more Greg? I shot some Disney stuff this past weekend that I really like.

** sorry to have been so rude..... GREAT IMAGE of Fenway! I love the wide perspective and how the dyn/rang defines the seats. Nicely captured and processed.