Options

Bulk keywording bug - still missing commas

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited April 11, 2010 in Bug Reporting
I just used the bulk keyword tool to add a two-word keyword. Worked fine. Then I used the tool again to add another keyword to the same images. The keyword appeared, but no separator was added between the first and second keywords.

Tested in two different browsers.

Please fix this tool once and for all!

EDIT: When I went back into the tool after fixing the first issue, I found another old problem that has come back. Both of these apparently only affect images that have a single keyword in them...

A two-word keyword, when alone as the only keyword, got a comma right down the middle of it, separating the two words. I thought that was fixed months ago.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    pilotdave wrote:
    I just used the bulk keyword tool to add a two-word keyword. Worked fine. Then I used the tool again to add another keyword to the same images. The keyword appeared, but no separator was added between the first and second keywords.

EDIT: When I went back into the tool after fixing the first issue, I found another old problem that has come back. Both of these apparently only affect images that have a single keyword in them...

A two-word keyword, when alone as the only keyword, got a comma right down the middle of it, separating the two words. I thought that was fixed months ago.

Dave

I'm curious how you add them - I add a word plus comma space, as in:

[php]feather-hunting, [/php]

I'm reading your comment to indicate, did you think the commas would automatically insert themselves?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    pilotdave wrote:

Dave
    I'm with you. The bulk keywording tool has always been messed up in this regard. When you add a new keyword to a bunch of images, it should handle separators automatically.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2010
    ChancyRat wrote:
    I'm curious how you add them - I add a word plus comma space, as in:

[php]feather-hunting, [/php]

I'm reading your comment to indicate, did you think the commas would automatically insert themselves?

The commas do normally insert themselves. That's the way it's supposed to work. Your way will not always work... if you add a two-word keyword to an image with a comma, then save and re-enter the bulk keywording tool, you'll see your comma is gone. You can add a comma before your next keyword, but we shouldn't have to think so hard.

These problems were all caused when they modified the keyword tool to allow foreign characters. I thought all these issues had been fixed... I've had no problems for a while. Then suddenly, it's back.

Dave
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2010
    pilotdave wrote:
    The commas do normally insert themselves. That's the way it's supposed to work. Your way will not always work... if you add a two-word keyword to an image with a comma, then save and re-enter the bulk keywording tool, you'll see your comma is gone. You can add a comma before your next keyword, but we shouldn't have to think so hard.

These problems were all caused when they modified the keyword tool to allow foreign characters. I thought all these issues had been fixed... I've had no problems for a while. Then suddenly, it's back.

Dave

Oddly, I have not had that problem. I just tested 3 different times, adding (one at a time) a 3-word keyword (plus comma space) and two, 2-word keywords (each plus comma space), and each one took just fine.

I also tried it without adding the space after the comma (which I believe matches what you tried?), and that took as well.

The tricky part for me was removing them. If I removed:

feather hunting,
    [with or without a space after the comma]

the result would botch, combining two keywords that should not be combined.

If, on the other hand, I removed:

feather hunting [no comma or comma+space]

the result was clean. Whether I removed a (multi-word) keyword between two keywords, or as the last one, the remaining keywords were separated and comma'd properly.

I don't know how to explain that it works for me but not you. My keywords have no special characters and no numerals.

I guess I have not been bothered by adding the comma+space, including for the last keyword, because I'm an old typist from another time where one always ended a sentence with period space space. :)

EDIT! WAIT! Maybe I mis-read your method. With my method, I have always entered the keywords in the bulk keyword area. Will test entering it on a single photo now... RESULTS ARE IN: No, it still worked for me, adding a 3-word keyword (with a comma but with or without a space) worked. Adding a keyword with no comma added the keyword but no comma. So again i don't know how to explain the difference we are having.
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2010
    ChancyRat wrote:
    Oddly, I have not had that problem. I just tested 3 different times, adding (one at a time) a 3-word keyword (plus comma space) and two, 2-word keywords (each plus comma space), and each one took just fine.

I also tried it without adding the space after the comma (which I believe matches what you tried?), and that took as well.

The tricky part for me was removing them. If I removed:

feather hunting,
    [with or without a space after the comma]

the result would botch, combining two keywords that should not be combined.

If, on the other hand, I removed:

feather hunting [no comma or comma+space]

the result was clean. Whether I removed a (multi-word) keyword between two keywords, or as the last one, the remaining keywords were separated and comma'd properly.

I don't know how to explain that it works for me but not you. My keywords have no special characters and no numerals.

I guess I have not been bothered by adding the comma+space, including for the last keyword, because I'm an old typist from another time where one always ended a sentence with period space space. :)

EDIT! WAIT! Maybe I mis-read your method. With my method, I have always entered the keywords in the bulk keyword area. Will test entering it on a single photo now... RESULTS ARE IN: No, it still worked for me, adding a 3-word keyword (with a comma but with or without a space) worked. Adding a keyword with no comma added the keyword but no comma. So again i don't know how to explain the difference we are having.

It's easily repeatable.

Open the bulk keywording tool and select an image with no keywords (so it's highlighted in red).

Go up to the top and add a two-word keyword with no separator. Apply it to selected photos and hit preview.

Type in another keyword (single or multi-word) and hit preview.

Go down and look at the keywords that have been entered for that image. They will not be separated with a comma.

It works equally poorly if you put quotes around the multi-word keyword.

Also, the behavior does not match smugmug's keywording help page: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags .

Dave
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    It's easily repeatable.

Open the bulk keywording tool and select an image with no keywords (so it's highlighted in red).

Go up to the top and add a two-word keyword with no separator. Apply it to selected photos and hit preview.

Go down and look at the keywords that have been entered for that image. They will not be separated with a comma.

Also, the behavior does not match smugmug's keywording help page: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags .

15524779-Ti.gif

I have experienced this same problem! Very annoying!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    pilotdave wrote:
    It's easily repeatable.

Dave

I did exactly what you suggested, but again, it has worked for me. I tried four different sample adds. I went to the keyword page and found the new ones and could click them and see the proper group.

You said,
    , but I notice on the gallery page, in plain view mode, none of the keywords show any comma between them, but whether I click to edit them on a single photo, or go to the bulk keyword page to edit them, the commas are there.

I also had no problem removing them.

So why is this happening? Do any of these matter:
    - I have no numerals or special characters
    - all my words are lower-case
    - I am using Firefox (though not the latest version)
    - the test gallery is in smugmug style
    - Other?
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 8, 2010
    Things have changed with the keywords. It used to be mandatory that you used a comma separator. Now, and in the past still have to enclose the mutli word keywords in quotes. For single words, the system is supposed to be able to handle spaces, commas, and semi colons, I think. I will get our Keyword programmer to take a look.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Things have changed with the keywords. It used to be mandatory that you used a comma separator. Now, and in the past still have to enclose the mutli word keywords in quotes. For single words, the system is supposed to be able to handle spaces, commas, and semi colons, I think. I will get our Keyword programmer to take a look.

Doc-o-Mugster, I routinely add multi-keyword keywords without enclosing in quotes. My method is to add them *with comma space* but in testing pilotdave's problem I was even able to add a multi-keyword keyword without the comma and it "took" as one keyword.

How is that possible? And, please don't change the system except for getting pilotdave's effort to work the same way. :D
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 11, 2010
    I've fixed pilotdave's issue internally...it needs to go through testing, but hopefully it will go out in this week's release.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos