Options

Advice sought on photo prep for uploading

oomhowardoomhoward Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited July 21, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I am a new user (still in free trial status) and need advice on how best to get photos ready to upload. I have about 75 high-res jpgs shot with a D-SLR in Adobe 98 color space. I was thinking about the following work flow: 1) open file in Photoshop, 2) convert to sRGB color space, 3) crop, 4) color correct, 3) resize to web-friendly dimensions, and, finally, 4) sharpen. My two issues are how to automate this to save time and how to avoid unnecessary jpg saves to preserve image quality. I thought about creating an action to open all 75 photos in Photoshop at once and convert the color space. I would then address each picture individually, cropping and color correcting, and would finish by running another action I would create to re-size, apply modest sharpening, and save. Does this seem like a good approach? Thanks.

Howard

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    you do not need to crop or resize, smugmug allows unlimited storage. srgb for sure, and sharpen lightly, as smugmug provides a small amount of sharpening on size Med and Lg
  • Options
    oomhowardoomhoward Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    you do not need to crop or resize, smugmug allows unlimited storage. srgb for sure, and sharpen lightly, as smugmug provides a small amount of sharpening on size Med and Lg
    Wait a minute! I initially tried to upload all 75 files and got an error message stating that some size limitation was exceeded (I don't recall the specifics). I assumed this meant that my proposed gallery was too large for SmugMug. Might it have been only that my batch of files was too large to upload in one go? If so, I could just upload in several smaller batches.
  • Options
    kkidfallkkidfall Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    oomhoward wrote:
    Wait a minute! I initially tried to upload all 75 files and got an error message stating that some size limitation was exceeded (I don't recall the specifics). I assumed this meant that my proposed gallery was too large for SmugMug. Might it have been only that my batch of files was too large to upload in one go? If so, I could just upload in several smaller batches.
    Yes this is the case, if you use smugmugs uploader you can only upload so much at once. If you use sendtosmugmug or starexplorer youcan upload as many as you want at once.

chris
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 21, 2005
    In case you need links and references, SendToSmugmug is simple, unlimited and was just featured on the cover of PC World Magazine. It's the preference of consumers whose needs are simple. But you need Windows XP for it.

Star Explorer is powerful with many more options and is the favorite of pros. It has good support from Nik, on this forum, who is amazingly responsive.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 21, 2005
    By the way, Adobe 98 isn't a good intermetiate color space if your work is just bound for display on the Internet or printing from commercial printers. Counterintuitively, it has fewer colors available for those applications.

Here's why:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm

It is, however, good for ink jet prints if you have colors in your photo that you want to precisely represent that are outside the gamut of sRGB, such as the pure cyan in HP's original logo.

Thanks,
    Baldy
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thanks for the reference, Chris!
    Baldy wrote:
    In case you need links and references, SendToSmugmug is simple, unlimited and was just featured on the cover of PC World Magazine. It's the preference of consumers whose needs are simple. But you need Windows XP for it.

Star Explorer is powerful with many more options and is the favorite of pros. It has good support from Nik, on this forum, who is amazingly responsive.
    Wow, my sincere congrats to shahineo

awesome!clap.gif

I would like to add that S*E has similar shell integration functionality as S2S, which allows you to send files directly from your Windows Explorer.

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Thanks for that link Baldy, it was very good.
    Nice plug Nikolai. now that I actually have a computer that works I'll have to get your software.
    Nick
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto