Lenses, umbrellas and lights, oh my!

FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited April 14, 2010 in Accessories
Two things.

1. Last week my son had his baseball pictures in the school gym. The setup was a silver umbrella on a stand with a continuous lighting source, which looked like one of those alien bees things, then when she took a shot a flash appeared to go off from the same stand, I didn't see a flash source, but I was wondering if anyone knows what she could've been using.

2. So I am in the market for a wide angle lens, an 18-55 lens, (I have a tamron right now, but it's not my favorite) and possibly an umbrella and light. I have a Nikon D80. I plan on purchasing them from B&H, probably this Sunday. Someone suggested the Tokina, I want to say it was 16-105 and it was 2.8, I think. Any thoughts on any lenses?

TIA
Flickr My, not quite there yet, website

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited April 12, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    Two things.

1. Last week my son had his baseball pictures in the school gym. The setup was a silver umbrella on a stand with a continuous lighting source, which looked like one of those alien bees things, then when she took a shot a flash appeared to go off from the same stand, I didn't see a flash source, but I was wondering if anyone knows what she could've been using.

Studio strobe lights commonly have a "modeling light" and separate flash. The modeling light is enough to show how the light will work with the subject but it is the separate flash that provides the actual exposure lighting. They are both located on the same housing so they both seem to come from the same source.
    Fstoplife wrote:
    ... 2. So I am in the market for a wide angle lens, an 18-55 lens, (I have a tamron right now, but it's not my favorite) and possibly an umbrella and light. I have a Nikon D80. I plan on purchasing them from B&H, probably this Sunday. Someone suggested the Tokina, I want to say it was 16-105 and it was 2.8, I think. Any thoughts on any lenses?

TIA

On a Nikon D80 a zoom of focal length 18-55mm-ish range is called a "standard" zoom lens. It provides an almost twice "normal" field of view through a moderate telephoto.

I am not aware of a Tokina with a range of 16-108mm with an aperture of f2.8, but that would probably be a desirable range although pretty heavy.

I would recommend the Tamron SP 17-50mm, f2.8 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) as a very good standard zoom lens with a reasonable cost.

There is a Tokina 16-50mm, f2.8 Aspheric ATX Pro DX available for Nikon mount but I think I would recommend the Tamron first.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    Two things.

2. So I am in the market for a wide angle lens, an 18-55 lens, (I have a tamron right now, but it's not my favorite) and possibly an umbrella and light. I have a Nikon D80. I plan on purchasing them from B&H, probably this Sunday. Someone suggested the Tokina, I want to say it was 16-105 and it was 2.8, I think. Any thoughts on any lenses?

TIA

1. Assuming she was actually using alien bees, the flash came from the flashtube on the monolight (monolight = alien bee). Monolights have two bulbs on them. A model light (the continuous light you saw) which gives a sneak peak at what it will look like. And a Flash tube, which makes the big flash you saw. Here is a picture of an alien bee.
    34104d1241801704-alien-bee-strobes-jdg08634.jpg the flash tube is the circular bulb that surrounds the model light.

2. I would recommend the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for an actual dedicated wide angle lens, but, it sounds like you want a more standard length... in that case any of the 17-50/55 2.8's on the market would work perfectly. If you have the cash, go for the Nikkor version, if not I would say promaster, tamron, or sigma would be suitable. But, more importantly, are you wanting this lens to get into portraits? You'll have to be careful on the both ends because of distortion. I know on my old Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, its sweet, no distortion, spot was around 24mm when I had it.
    Jer
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Thats exactly what it looked like!! Thank you!!!

I do tons of portraits, so yes the least amount of distortion would be awesome. I am going to go to BH on my lunch break tomorrow and check some out, then do some research and see what I want to do. I really like the Nikon lenses and I try to stick with them. My 18-55 is a Tamron and I just don't feel like it's up to par with my 50mm, that's why I want to replace it. I am going to look into the 17-50. I really don't use the 18-55 but I like having something in that range. I really adore my nifty fifty.

~This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.~
    edited April 13, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    Thats exactly what it looked like!! Thank you!!!

I do tons of portraits, so yes the least amount of distortion would be awesome. I am going to go to BH on my lunch break tomorrow and check some out, then do some research and see what I want to do. I really like the Nikon lenses and I try to stick with them. My 18-55 is a Tamron and I just don't feel like it's up to par with my 50mm, that's why I want to replace it. I am going to look into the 17-50. I really don't use the 18-55 but I like having something in that range. I really adore my nifty fifty.

I know it doesn't seem like a huge difference between the 18-55 and 17-50, but its HUGE! The constant f/2.8 aperture and high quality glass make it worth it. Its my favorite focal length. I'm waiting till I have enough cash saved up to get the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 (equivalent to the 17-50 for my full frame D700). When I had my D300 and nikkor 17-55 2.8, it never left my camera body. It was pretty much the only lens I would use. Same thing when I shot Canon, I had a promaster 17-50 2.8 that never left my camera.

I too have a 50mm, but I have the f/1.4G version, and I'm assuming you have the 1.8D one. If you like your 50mm, check out the Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G while you're at BH tomorrow. Its worth the extra cash IMO.
    Jer
  • FstoplifeFstoplife Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    What do you think of the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens? That's just at the tail end of wide angle right? There is one that is 28mm f/2 that's probably a little wider. I think I am going to go with a prime lens. These lenses have gotten such great reviews!

These are the two wide angles:
    Wide Angle AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

Wide Angle AF Nikkor 35mm f/2.0D Autofocus Lens

I also found a Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens for Digital Cameras.

What are your thoughts on these lenses??

edited April 13, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    What do you think of the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens? That's just at the tail end of wide angle right? There is one that is 28mm f/2 that's probably a little wider. I think I am going to go with a prime lens. These lenses have gotten such great reviews!

Haven't personally used one, but I have heard good things about the 35 1.8. On a D80 it wont be very wide. Because its equivalent to like a 56mm on full frame. But, I think it would work nicely as a portrait lens.
    Jer
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Fstoplife wrote:
    Two things.

Jeremy did a good job answering your question.....

Fstoplife wrote:

TIA

I shoot Sigma........for a DX camera and I have not checked your camera to see if these lenses will work but I suggest you do,,,,,,for a nice wide to med tele.....I will suggest the Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4....reviews say it is a very worth while lens..........my other suggestion is the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 a tack sharp lens that I have used for several years for portraits and weddings...again you need to make sure these lenses will work on your Nikon.......My model is the one B&H has for around $600...but there is a newer model that sells for $899.....if you do not need the HSM then get the less expensive one.....I love my Sigma's.....................I would run away as fast as I can from ProMaster......that stuff has absolutely no quality, really doesn't even make good paper weights.

Alien Bee lights are only sold from the Manufacturer( Alien Bees) in the U.S. and I would go with the PLM system that is offered at the Bee website if it is order able .....it sold so quickly that it has been a bask order item for a long time........or for regular umbrellas or Brolly boxes go to ebay,,,,,....the PLM system can be converted to Brolly Boxes with a cover added on..................it is quite the system
    Not knowing your intentions with the lights and all I cannot actually recommendation on light or umbrella except to say as I was told buy the most powerful light you can afford (AB 1600 if possible but I would go nothing less than the AB 800).......the 42" PLM is the smallest offered and if I was buying standard umbrellas or brolly boxes then I will suggest 64 - 86 inch ones.......unfortunately the 64 and 86" PLM's are still on B.O. ........you will not find a company that values their customers like Alien Bee (the Paul C Buff / White Lightning / Alien Bee Companies).....many on here can attest to Paul Peoples genuine custome care .......customer care after the purchase is second to none.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 13, 2010
    Yeah, Paul C Buff has wonderful customer service. Its one of the only companies I know of that an actual person answers the phone right away instead of it going through automated messages. And their customer service reps actually know what they're doing!
    Jer
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    I would use a shoot though umbrella instead of a bounce. Simply because this blog post makes sense.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures