Options

Suggestions for remote wireless release?

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited April 14, 2010 in Accessories
I bought a eBay wireless remote release, it was cheap $40, but used a CR123 battery, which I didn't like. Shortly after it died, not sure why but didn't inspire any confidence with me. :)

So I'm wondering what is a suggested method for wireless remote release for a camera? I have a few pocketwizards but would need to buy one more if I wanted to add one as a transmitter. I was thinking I could buy something for under a $100? Another pocketwizard would cost me $180 plus the Canon cable.

Did see there are some highly recommended eBay triggers but have not figured out if anyone them allowed hook up to the remote camera.

Thanks
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments

• Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    I bought a eBay wireless remote release, it was cheap $40, but used a CR123 battery, which I didn't like. Shortly after it died, not sure why but didn't inspire any confidence with me. :)

So I'm wondering what is a suggested method for wireless remote release for a camera? I have a few pocketwizards but would need to buy one more if I wanted to add one as a transmitter. I was thinking I could buy something for under a $100? Another pocketwizard would cost me $180 plus the Canon cable.

Did see there are some highly recommended eBay triggers but have not figured out if anyone them allowed hook up to the remote camera.

Thanks

Did you see the posting from TeamSpeed of this

<!-- icon and title --> FS: 3 Canon E1 Handstraps & 4 Wireless Remotes (US)
    <hr style="color: rgb(87, 87, 87);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> 1) I have 3 brand-new E1 handstraps for sale, $22 shipped in the US.

Directions for installation usually come with your grip, but I also have a photocopy of the directions at this link as well.

http://teamspeed.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=397989

47bcdbbd09e86_52580b.jpg

2) I have 2 Phottix brand-new Plato 2.4ghz shutter remotes for sale for the N3 connector (all Canon models except the Rebel line). These also double as wired remotes, and you can also purchase cables in the future to use on Nikons or Rebels. They use AAA batteries (2 each) also, making for easy battery replacements, or a perfect use for those Eneloops.

Asking $40 shipped and paypaled

http://teamspeed.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4792721

The whole thread is here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=163110 in the "kitchen sink" section of the Flea Market
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    thanks! I made a purchase, that's the same brand I have now but heard the newer versions are a bit more solid.
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010

Thanks

I found some Phottix releases on eBay, found one for my Nikon D300, have used it for the past year or so with zero problems; a neat feature is that both the remote and the sensor use AAA batteries, also it can be configured as a wired remote.

HTH -

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote:
    I found some Phottix releases on eBay, found one for my Nikon D300, have used it for the past year or so with zero problems; a neat feature is that both the remote and the sensor use AAA batteries, also it can be configured as a wired remote.

HTH -

- Wil

That's what I am looking for, using standard batteries, not the CR123 and button sizes.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Hmmm . . . my Photix remote for the D300 uses a #23A 12v battery in the receiver.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Icebear wrote:
    Hmmm . . . my Photix remote for the D300 uses a #23A 12v battery in the receiver.

Phottix is a brand they make several different models — which use different size batteries. More and more of the newer models seem to be going to the AAA batteries. So, you can find different models that are made for the same camera and those different models may well use different size batteries.
    Jane B.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    CR123, just use a piece of business card on the battery post when not in use. I am still using the same battery that came with my unit, for about 4 months, still works as it did new.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    All of my ebay remote triggers (shutter trigger and flash triggers) use AAA's.............only way to shoot.....and all triggers are RF not IR......could not get me to use IR triggers at allmwink.gifwink
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    All of my ebay remote triggers (shutter trigger and flash triggers) use AAA's.............only way to shoot.....and all triggers are RF not IR......could not get me to use IR triggers at allmwink.gifwink

The RF-602 does use the CR123 for the transmitter...
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    I got the new remote, going to test it out this weekend. So far it looks much better and allows for bulb setting. :)

I'm not sure if my old remote was broken or just needed new batteries, either way I have access to AAA but CR123's are harder to find for a decent price.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2010
    time2smile wrote:
    The RF-602 does use the CR123 for the transmitter...

oo only my sekonic L558 lightmeter & my Nikon f70 uses those and luckily the drain so minimal, with the L558 that it lasts over a year......I change it when it hits approx 20% power left.........I would not use a trigger of any sort with those.....for me if it doesn't run on a standard 3a or 2a batt it will fail me as soon as I am out of the selling area..........I know my nikon f70 uses 2 of those and I had a terrible experience on a trail on Snezka (tallest mountain in Czech Republic).....had put 2 new ones in just as I left the USA.......5 days later totally dead....spare batts are in Hostel 25 miles away.....so I am in a ski town lots of film stores.....all sorts of duracell batts but I wasn't finding any 123's......I was pissed at Nikon for building a camera that couldn't run off 2a batts.....finally one little tiny shop had 1 pack of 2 left and then the dang CC machine refused my visa card.....turned out the girl was inputting the last 4 digits wrong........I missed tons of great landscapes and people shots on the trail that day......I carried 2 - 2paks from then on and a 2-10 paks of AA and the only batts I changed for the nest 3 weeks was the 2A batts for the flashes.............as a matter of a fact I still had 1 - 2pk of 123's from that trip until a couple of days a go when I recycled them as they were dead and i bought 1 for the L558.......................

Batts just cannot be trusted.....none of them.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Frustrated in Canada
    So - I bought a set of Cameron RF Trigger / Receivers from our local camera store (45 miles away). Got home, batteries in (you know - the expensive ones), and pushed the test button. Nothing. Phone call to the camera store - several hours and a $16 courier charge on top of the $16 price I received a hot shoe PC cord. Hooked it to the receiver / flash (Canon 580 EXII). Put the transmitter on my camera (Canon 40D) hotshoe. Pushed the test button and voilà - flash fired. Yay. Then pushed shutter button. Flash did not fire. :cry

Long story short - 4 days later (today), after spending hours on the phone with the store, I drove the 45 miles and returned the whole kit and kaboodle and got my money back. They had NO ALTERNATIVES but could order in either Pocket Wizards (kaching) or Cactus Wizards.

Came home looked up the Cactus Wizards on-line. Buying through the US I could buy them for $39 US. Since our money is about par, that's not an issue. Even paying duty when they come across the border AND shipping it shouldn't be too bad - maybe $50 or so? The local camera shop wants $139 for the same thing. Snarl.

And they wonder why we cross border shop????????

So my question is - are Cactus Wizards any good (V.4)??

Thanks.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    oo only my sekonic L558 lightmeter & my Nikon f70 uses those and luckily the drain so minimal, with the L558 that it lasts over a year......I change it when it hits approx 20% power left.........I would not use a trigger of any sort with those.....for me if it doesn't run on a standard 3a or 2a batt it will fail me as soon as I am out of the selling area..........I know my nikon f70 uses 2 of those and I had a terrible experience on a trail on Snezka (tallest mountain in Czech Republic).....had put 2 new ones in just as I left the USA.......5 days later totally dead....spare batts are in Hostel 25 miles away.....so I am in a ski town lots of film stores.....all sorts of duracell batts but I wasn't finding any 123's......I was pissed at Nikon for building a camera that couldn't run off 2a batts.....finally one little tiny shop had 1 pack of 2 left and then the dang CC machine refused my visa card.....turned out the girl was inputting the last 4 digits wrong........I missed tons of great landscapes and people shots on the trail that day......I carried 2 - 2paks from then on and a 2-10 paks of AA and the only batts I changed for the nest 3 weeks was the 2A batts for the flashes.............as a matter of a fact I still had 1 - 2pk of 123's from that trip until a couple of days a go when I recycled them as they were dead and i bought 1 for the L558.......................

Batts just cannot be trusted.....none of them.......

Art,

Thats a real head turner for the 123's. I guess i was lucky with mine, I now have two transmitters so I can do the shutter and flash properly. I still stand behind the RF-602 units even with the batteries. I had one transmitter for 6 months now and it still works great, of course I'm not a pro and don't use them heavily, and I insulated the contacts when it is on the shelf..

thanks
    ted
    Ted....
    Nikon
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote:
    So - I bought a set of Cameron RF Trigger / Receivers from our local camera store (45 miles away). Got home, batteries in (you know - the expensive ones), and pushed the test button. Nothing. Phone call to the camera store - several hours and a $16 courier charge on top of the $16 price I received a hot shoe PC cord. Hooked it to the receiver / flash (Canon 580 EXII). Put the transmitter on my camera (Canon 40D) hotshoe. Pushed the test button and voilà - flash fired. Yay. Then pushed shutter button. Flash did not fire. :cry

Long story short - 4 days later (today), after spending hours on the phone with the store, I drove the 45 miles and returned the whole kit and kaboodle and got my money back. They had NO ALTERNATIVES but could order in either Pocket Wizards (kaching) or Cactus Wizards.

Came home looked up the Cactus Wizards on-line. Buying through the US I could buy them for $39 US. Since our money is about par, that's not an issue. Even paying duty when they come across the border AND shipping it shouldn't be too bad - maybe $50 or so? The local camera shop wants $139 for the same thing. Snarl.

And they wonder why we cross border shop????????

So my question is - are Cactus Wizards any good (V.4)??

Thanks.

Snowgirl here is a link to the reseller and trigger I have been using for over a year ( http://tinyurl.com/y3bs6ff ) ....the triggers run on AAA batts the transmitter is a buttton batter I think as I have never opened it up to see................

• Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    Snowgirl here is a link to the reseller and trigger I have been using for over a year ( http://tinyurl.com/y3bs6ff ) ....the triggers run on AAA batts the transmitter is a buttton batter I think as I have never opened it up to see................

Thanks Art!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada