Options

HDR Photography

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited April 16, 2010 in Finishing School
Is it any way possible at all to do hdr photography in photoshop elements? It looks like it's merging more than one photos with different exposures, but there's not an HDR function in there. Also, i have GIMP, which I haven't used a lot because i'm still learning, but I HAVE to learn how to do that HDR!!!

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 15, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Is it any way possible at all to do hdr photography in photoshop elements? It looks like it's merging more than one photos with different exposures, but there's not an HDR function in there. Also, i have GIMP, which I haven't used a lot because i'm still learning, but I HAVE to learn how to do that HDR!!!

Doubtful. HDR generally takes two steps: merging and tone-mapping. I don't know about Elements, but CS3 can merge. However, it's terrible at tone-mapping, which is where all the magic takes place. You get to play with curves, and that's about it. I'm sure Elements is just as bad or worse at it.
  • Options
    theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    lilmomma,

Here are some HDR freebies worth a try:

Qtpfsgui - An open source graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging.

Picturenaut - Born in the German photo community. It has been in the works for almost two years, with consistent improvements according to user feedback. That's why the first official release is already Version 2.1, marking a new milestone in making high quality HDR Imaging accessible and easy.
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    theNOIZ wrote:
    lilmomma,

Here are some HDR freebies worth a try:

Qtpfsgui - An open source graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging.

Picturenaut - Born in the German photo community. It has been in the works for almost two years, with consistent improvements according to user feedback. That's why the first official release is already Version 2.1, marking a new milestone in making high quality HDR Imaging accessible and easy.

Is picturenaut pretty simple to use? Also, what does bracketed mean? I saw this question in the faq's- "If you want to create an HDRI out of bracketed RAW files, you need to develop them in a RAW converter first."

thanks!
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Is picturenaut pretty simple to use? Also, what does bracketed mean? I saw this question in the faq's- "If you want to create an HDRI out of bracketed RAW files, you need to develop them in a RAW converter first."

thanks!

Bracketed files are images taken one after another with exposure set low, normal, high (or some combination thereof). Check the manual on your camera to see if there's a bracketing option for taking photos.
    //Leah
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    If you're really serious about getting into HDR photography, then you should pick up the book "The Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Digital Photography" by Ferrell McCollough. Also, you may want look into the standalone Photomatix Pro software. I believe that they have a free trial. Also, the software is kind of confusing to begin with but it is very powerful. Once you've read McCollough's book, he takes all the confusion out of using Photomatix.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    OhiohikerOhiohiker Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Try the Stuck in Customs tutorial
    Trey Ratcliff has an excellent HDR tutorial on his Stuck in Customs. He covers capturing your images and tone mapping them in Photomatix. I use Qtpfsgui and like it quite well and the price is right.
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2009
    For me, HDR didn't really start coming together until I started using Photomatix, it was the easiest one with the best results, IMHO.
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited January 25, 2010
    theNOIZ wrote:
    ... Here are some HDR freebies worth a try:

Just a note that "Qtpfsgui" is now "Luminance HDR" and the beta version is out and many users say it is stable. (It is still located at the above link however.)

If you use the Windows version be sure to completely uninstall any previous versions and note that there are 2 files you need to download and install to make it work. (That may change in the final version.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just a note that "Qtpfsgui" is now "Luminance HDR" and the beta version is out and many users say it is stable.

And more pronounceable! (sorry, couldn't resist!) rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:
    Yes! In version 9, there is a way to merge multiple exposures. Just tried it the other day and was AMAZEDwings.gif It is not called HDR. A few too many steps to go over now but I found it intuitive to use. I have used Photomatix Pro, Photoshop and a few others for years and find the level of quality in the Elements version quite acceptable. Because of the lack of "slider mania" like in Photomaix it is not possible to create the zany looking HDRs but I could be wrong about thatne_nau.gif
  • Options
    BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Fwiw I was able to get Photomatix pro with my wife's .edu student email address. The price came down from 99 to 38!

This was approx 3 weeks ago. Worth a shot.
  • Options
    CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    I found it infinitely easier to produce great looking images with Picturenaut than Photomatix. I am sure if I understood half of the options in Photomatix that it may be more powerful, but Picturenaut is much friendlier for the inexperienced.
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 14, 2010
    While Photomatix has lots of sliders that seem to require sophisticated adjustments everywhere, I hardly ever move any of the sliders very much at all, as my goal is a low contrast, full range tiff that I can them do levels and curves and selections in Photoshop.

I will offer another vote for Ferrell McCollough's High Dynamic Range Photography to clarify use of Photomatix Pro.

David Nightingale's "Practical HDR" is helpful also and has some neat shots of graffiti I like also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    lilmomma wrote:

GIMP plug-in: http://registry.gimp.org/node/24310
    tom wise
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 15, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    While Photomatix has lots of sliders that seem to require sophisticated adjustments everywhere, I hardly ever move any of the sliders very much at all, as my goal is a low contrast, full range tiff that I can them do levels and curves and selections in Photoshop.
    Don't forget it also has the Fusion and Tone Compressor modes that have much simpler user interfaces as well. My only knock against Photomatix is that it isn't easy to coax surreal effects out of it. I used to use DynamicPhoto HDR and it was better at surreal (and I would have stuck with them, but they never sent me the software after I paid for it, and ignored my followup emails.)
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Don't forget it also has the Fusion and Tone Compressor modes that have much simpler user interfaces as well. My only knock against Photomatix is that it isn't easy to coax surreal effects out of it. I used to use DynamicPhoto HDR and it was better at surreal (and I would have stuck with them, but they never sent me the software after I paid for it, and ignored my followup emails.)

Right, but I rarely( actually never ) use Tone compressor. As I said, all I want is a nice even histogram from light to dark in my rendered tiff, that will then be dropped into CS4 for final editing.

If I dial down the Smoothing function in the Detail Enhancer dialogue box in Photomatix Pro - whether as a push button in the Light mode, or just slide the smoothing slider to the left, it is quite easy to get surreal halos in my images. I tend to keep my smoothing function on the high or max setting to avoid the surreal look. If you use the Min or Low smoothing settings surrealism WILL make its debut. I have very little experience with the Tone Compresser dialogue box.

I have not used DynamicPhoto HDR. I have created created hdr files in Photoshop CS4, but I strongly prefer the user interface in PhotoMatix Pro.

I have a number of recent hdr images in my Landscape galleries here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Landscapes I do not identify all my images as to post processing technique, but I am sure you can easily identify them by sight.

My hdrs are not surreal, but are obviously not straight single frame images either. I do a fair number of Fusions of two images with Photomatix as well, not needing the over exposed frame as much as the under exposed frame to capture a sky. I do a number of faux hdrs as well like this one as well - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/The-Shoot-Out-in-Glacier-Fall/Keelboat-Missouri-RIver/781916788_fdwxX-L.jpg

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    pathfinder wrote:
    My hdrs are not surreal, but are obviously not straight single frame images either. I do a fair number of Fusions of two images with Photomatix as well, not needing the over exposed frame as much as the under exposed frame to capture a sky. I do a number of faux hdrs as well like this one as well - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/The-Shoot-Out-in-Glacier-Fall/Keelboat-Missouri-RIver/781916788_fdwxX-L.jpg

That image is a doozy! Love it! I've tried HDR very little, and what I find is, they do little for me aesthetically. But perhaps I am shooting the wrong things...I like the wooden structure in this photo of yours. Very pleasing to view.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    Thanks Tom. That was shot in the middle of the day with a flat white sky as a travel snapshot, but I found the wooden grain compelling as did you. It is always nice when someone else can appreciate what I thought I was seeing, as well.thumb.gif