Options

What Non-Photography Equipment Do You Bring?

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited April 17, 2010 in Weddings
I'm new to wedding photography, and I love hearing what established photographers bring with them to the wedding. One thing that I'm really curious about is what other, non-photography equipment do you bring? I've heard a few people say to always bring water (which I have definitely taken into consideration and think it's a great tip!), but what else do you bring? Do you bring ibuprofen (or Tylenol), for instance, or do you bring packages of wet ones? What else do you bring with you when you shoot weddings?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I bring Clif bars that I can eat and a bottle of water.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Leatherman...don't leave home without it.
  • Options
    NoelimagesNoelimages Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    A small ladder, granola bars, water, extra shirt and breath mints.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Gatoraide, sandwiches for me and my assistant, wet wipes, makeup wipes, scissors, extra clothes and shoes, gum, hair brush / spray /pins, safety pins, leatherman, bandaids, coins for parking meeters and a ton more stuff that I can't think of right now.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    I'm new to weddings too, but I have my first one coming up on May 8th. These are some of the things I will be bringing with me.. most of it will probably stay in my SUV the whole time, but whatever.

Gaffer Tape, granola bars/snacks, lots of mountain dew, GPS (Must Have), extra shirt/pants/shoes, extension cords, batteries (AA's, AAA's, and Camera Batteries), advil, tylonol, asprin, vicodin (jk - but I get headaches easily), black and white bedsheets (for controlling light and reflections), small step ladder (not sure if I need this since I tower over everyone anyways... I'm 6'4"), small notebook to write down stuff (I'm forgetful), and I'll probably have other stuff that I'll grab at the last minute that I cant think of.
    Jer
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2010
    Leaving weddings aside for a moment, there are certain things I always have in my pockets or on my belt, no matter where I go:

* Cash

* A pillbox with any daily meds I may be taking, plus a few common OTC meds - ibuprofin, Prilosec, Roll-Aids, Immodium, Bennadryl, Zyrtec-D, chewable Pepto (I've been caught by stomach upset, allergies, headaches, etc. and prefer to be prepared for them)

* Pocket knife

* Multitool (I carry a Bucktool 360, which is like a Leatherman)

* Multiple flashlights - a 2xAA LED light and one or two keychain-size LED squeeze lights.

* Chapstick

* A couple of disposable towlettes for my hands (in case lunch gets sticky)

* Nail clippers (never know when a painful hangnail might strike)

* A few safety pins

* USB flash drive with diagnostic and repair software (people are always asking me to fix their computers)

For photo situations (pro or personal), I carry a few small extras in my camera bag:

* A camera poncho

* Notebook and pencil

* A few extra Ziploc storage bags

* A few spare squeeze lights

* A few carabiners

There are also some extra things in my vehicle that I might need; they're too bulky to carry around, but having them in my vehicle is usually not too inconvenient:

* Spray glass cleaner

* Paper towels

* Clear packing tape

* A full tool kit

* Spare sunglasses

* A first aid kit

* A hand towel

* A couple of plastic trash bags

* Charger cable/adapter for my iPhone

Chance favors the prepared mind.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Blurmore wrote:
    Leatherman...don't leave home without it.

Ding Ding Ding!!! That, a couple of water bottles and a granola bar. I'm a smoker so I also keep some gum on me for my breath on the rare opportunity to sneak out for a smoke. Leatherman is key though... no better tool ever for an event photog.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    Which Leatherman do you guys have? I've been thinking about getting one... havent had a multi-tool in a long time. Also, why do you need a multi-tool on a wedding day?
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2010
    Which Leatherman do you guys have? I've been thinking about getting one... havent had a multi-tool in a long time. Also, why do you need a multi-tool on a wedding day?

I have a few different ones, but the one I carry at weddings is the kick. it has screw drivers, pliers, scissors, a knife and the basic Swiss army knife camping stuff. I have used the plyers and screw drivers to tighten flash brackets when I was using them. Screw drivers can do whatever and mine even has a glasses mini-driver that I have used many times to tighten the specs. I once used the pliers to hod together a busted light stand by clamping them on and a ponytail holder around the handle to hold it together. Cut loose threads, pick a stubborn battery or fuse from a monolight out... It's a tool and one of the few that you can reasonably wear on your person. If you have it on you you will find reasons to use it and eventually see it as an irreplaceable item.

matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010

Because the most bizarre things possible can and will happen. :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    What to bring (in something approaching a prioritized order):
    1. The best advice I ever received - a good GPS unit. Not so important in rural/low-population areas, but in larger metro areas, this can save your a$$
    2. Cash, coins
    3. Leatherman (or similar) multi-tool. Knife, pliers, screwdrivers need to be there in the kit, not in the truck.
    4. Water
    5. 3.5" lock-back knife in a black nylon sheath on my belt. Most people don't see it and it's often been a quick life saver.
    6. asprin, ibuprophen, tums - in your kit
    7. J&J corn starch. Lots of uses for this. The most unique - it can be used to mask/cover make-up that's been smeared on a nice white wedding gown. Also in the kit, not the truck.
  • Options
    NoelimagesNoelimages Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Extra pair of contact lenses.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    This thing because it folds flat and is easy/reliable. Also some gum or mints, and a small roll of gaffers. I'm gonna have to get a leatherman because I have already needed one on many occasions.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    Just thought of a few more oddball items that are in my case. Wig tape, safety pins, rubberbands. Wig tape is magical when you have girls in strapless dresses. the wig tape is meant to stick to skin and cloth and is the best type of double sided tape for holding dresses up. Saftey pins are obvious repairs for dresses, and rubber-bands or ponytail holders have a zillion uses as well.

That step is interesting but since it wouldn't fit in my kit anyways I would be more inclined to just bring a regular step stool. This is on my "must have" list for future Jewish events!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    umbrellas! Am I the only northwest shooter here? :D
    Also the other stuff like safety pins and cliff bars.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    That step is interesting but since it wouldn't fit in my kit anyways I would be more inclined to just bring a regular step stool. This is on my "must have" list for future Jewish events!

Matt

Sorry, I am always reducing space and the collapsing stool is much easier. No it doesn't fit in the bag, but its much easier to get it around.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    Not a wedding 'tog, but have been doing location portrait shoots -does that count?

In addition to many items already mentioned, I also carry

- plastic clothespins
    - some work clamps (mine are cheap plastic ones in multiple sizes - they wouldn't work for construction, but they're sufficient for my uses)
    - roll of black duck tape
    - basic makeup kit (for touchups when there's no MUA)
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Not a wedding 'tog, but have been doing location portrait shoots -does that count?

In addition to many items already mentioned, I also carry

- plastic clothespins
    - some work clamps (mine are cheap plastic ones in multiple sizes - they wouldn't work for construction, but they're sufficient for my uses)
    - roll of black duck tape
    - basic makeup kit (for touchups when there's no MUA)

To expand on the tape thing....

I carry tape too, black electrical and gaffer's. Gaffer's tape is EXPENSIVE but sticks REALLY well and doesn't leave residue. Use it to stick down power cords so they are not a tripping hazard.
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    Yeah, I'm actually trying to find some gaffer's tape right now. Probably going to go with 3M. But, its $25 for the 2" 60 yrd roll. So expensive.

Definitely gaffers tape over duct tape. Its just as strong/sticky as duct tape (if not stronger/stickier), and it doesn't leave the nasty residue that can take hours to get off of stuff.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2010
    Yeah, I'm actually trying to find some gaffer's tape right now. Probably going to go with 3M. But, its $25 for the 2" 60 yrd roll. So expensive.

Definitely gaffers tape over duct tape. Its just as strong/sticky as duct tape (if not stronger/stickier), and it doesn't leave the nasty residue that can take hours to get off of stuff.

Actually gorilla tape is an OK substitute for less money, it WILL leave a residue if you leave it stuck for like days, but for a couple of hours it comes off pretty clean.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2010
    I'm new to wedding photography, and I love hearing what established photographers bring with them to the wedding. One thing that I'm really curious about is what other, non-photography equipment do you bring? I've heard a few people say to always bring water (which I have definitely taken into consideration and think it's a great tip!), but what else do you bring? Do you bring ibuprofen (or Tylenol), for instance, or do you bring packages of wet ones? What else do you bring with you when you shoot weddings?

A small sewing kit with black and white thread a small amount of clear super fishing line in case I need to sew something that white or black won't work on..........
    Kleenex box full, bottled water and in my case Glucose tablets (I am diabetic), protein bar or something to keep tummy from growling.....antacids just in case someone gets heartburn, ibuprofen .........people get head aches and stuff all the time........also a small 1st aid kit.......but do not offer assistance unless you know what you are doing.....just opens you up to a law suit ( iahve been trained & retrained in industrial 1st aid for many years).....you can give a 1st aid kit to someone to help themselves tho.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mangopixelsmangopixels Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2010
    This is a fun thread! I think that mints are the most important thing to me. I like talking to the couple and their guests with confidence, knowing that my breath is minty fresh! :-)
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    This is a fun thread! I think that mints are the most important thing to me. I like talking to the couple and their guests with confidence, knowing that my breath is minty fresh! :-)

Oooh - minty fresh breath - good point!!

I'm loving this thread too! I love hearing what everyone brings - it's given me some great ideas!
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    I feel like I just keep going around this forum lately and agreeing with everything Jason says but a big YES on the gaffer's tape over duct tape. I ususally only bring it when I plan on using A/C strobes, but it is far superior to duct tape. Jeremy, my best suggestion for the gafferes tape is from Markertek.com I use the tecnec http://www.markertek.com/Expendables/Gaffers-Tape-Adhesive/Gaffers-Tape/TecNec-Cables-Connectors/BGT-60.xhtml?BGT-60 and it is great stuff. I started using it when I was doing a lot of audio work and it is what I typically see being used by the sound and stage folks I come across.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    Can I add more. I forgot how much I like these things: http://www.amazon.com/Bongo-Ties-ELASTIC-CABLES-UNRULY/dp/B0001W1HLI

I use them to hold recievers to lightstands, flashes to a chair, or whatever else you need to hold. Velcro straps are also great but they can slip.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010
    has anyone mentioned band-aids and kleenex/tissue yet? nothing like blisters on your heels forcing you to hobble and snot running down your face to make a good impression :D oh yeah, and a couple pens.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2010

A theatrical supply will be your best.....look for PRO GAFF .....that is what the Fine Arts Dept I worked for used and it is around $18/roll.......A roll should alast a photog well over a year.....unless you get crazy with it.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 14, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    I feel like I just keep going around this forum lately and agreeing with everything Jason says but a big YES on the gaffer's tape over duct tape. I ususally only bring it when I plan on using A/C strobes, but it is far superior to duct tape. Jeremy, my best suggestion for the gafferes tape is from Markertek.com I use the tecnec http://www.markertek.com/Expendables/Gaffers-Tape-Adhesive/Gaffers-Tape/TecNec-Cables-Connectors/BGT-60.xhtml?BGT-60 and it is great stuff. I started using it when I was doing a lot of audio work and it is what I typically see being used by the sound and stage folks I come across.

Matt
    Dangit, I wish you would've said this last night. :cry I placed my order through amazon for some 3M Gaffers tape, which is $25 a roll like I said. Definitely going to bookmark the website you gave me for next time.

Art, good to hear that a roll should last me a year. Makes the purchase worth it in my opinion.

I want to add something to the list of gear. Its photography related though. Its a Go|Bee Bag Men's Card Holster. http://gobeebags.com I just bought it last night, and am looking forward to receiving it. Basically its a CF Card case that attaches to your belt. Yeah, it costs $90 but it looks sweet, and instead of velcro closing (like most cf cases) its magnetic. So it will be super quiet for when you need to switch cards during the wedding. Sara France is one of the founding photographers that created it.
    Jer
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    +1 on the leatherman and mints. Drinks in a small cooler kept in the car, umbrella (I want to get a nice big black one but haven't yet), my husband's ashthma inhaler, throat lozenges so I don't clear my throat during the ceremony.

Want to put together a kit for helping out the bride - safety pins, straight pins, band aids, bobby pins, etc... but haven't yet.

We also have on our "to do list" - to purchase a nice, puffy silk or satin white hanger for taking photos of the dress - the plastic hangers from the dress shop are so crummy looking and sometimes break when you try to move the dress around!!!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube