Journal Style

slattfrislattfri Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited April 17, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I really like the new journal style but hate that you can't comment on individual photos with this style (at least not in all instances). My site is www.christinefriberg.com (or www.christinefriberg.smugmug.com). My Photo of the Day gallery, when set to journal, shows the enormous photos that fill the screen. I love this style but it only allows for gallery comments on the bottom- not comments on individual pics. When I go to a different gallery (I selected "My Favorites" from my home page), the journal photos are very small despite the gallery being set to show original size. In this gallery, there is a link to comment under each photo. Why the inconsistencies? And why not add the ability to comment each photo when set to the large (screen filling) journal style? Also.... it seems that since the "upgrade", commenting on my fellow daily photo members' photos has become a real drag- often times being asked to manually put in my name, link, and the code to deter spammers. I am not the only one experiencing this and it's becoming quite frustrating. My commenting has drastically reduced due to the inconvenience- it's annoying and takes up more time. Any way to fix this?? Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    Individual photo comments are coming :D Sorry!
  • urbanadventureurbanadventure Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Individual photo comments are coming :D Sorry!

In the meantime, is there a work around? Stylistically, I want my 365 photos to be lined up in a stream with the newest on top. But a recent gallery comment confirmed - Journal style lack of photo comments is not encouraging much in the way of feedback.

I am also searching to see if I can find a way to allow SmugMug users to pick a style while forcing Journal for non-SmugMug users. To see if that allows Daily Photo users to change style and comment.

http://jogarrett.smugmug.com/gallery/7290568_C4Hta

thanks

Jo
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2009
    In the meantime, is there a work around? Stylistically, I want my 365 photos to be lined up in a stream with the newest on top. But a recent gallery comment confirmed - Journal style lack of photo comments is not encouraging much in the way of feedback.

I am also searching to see if I can find a way to allow SmugMug users to pick a style while forcing Journal for non-SmugMug users. To see if that allows Daily Photo users to change style and comment.

http://jogarrett.smugmug.com/gallery/7290568_C4Hta

thanks

Jo
    click the photo in journal style, you get lightbox, then show details, gives the comments.
    edited November 1, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    click the photo in journal style, you get lightbox, then show details, gives the comments.
    I don't see the "show details" link in my journal gallery.

commenting, camera info is set to yes - is there anything else I need to change?

http://www.jogarrett.com/365/365-2009/7290568_C4Hta

edited November 1, 2009
    OK I am not sure if I have got it right - but it is showing up now - just trying to fine tune CSS (formatting links)

I added

#lightBoxDetailsLink {display:true !important;}

let me know if there is a better way, or if there was something else I needed to remove.

thanks
  • R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Andy wrote:

I can't tell you how many people who visit my site can't figure that out-- well yes I can, all of them except for one.
    Would be nice to click the photos and have "Add Comment" right there. Visitors just don't think to go to "Show Details" to get to add a comment.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    R.Leonardo wrote:
    I can't tell you how many people who visit my site can't figure that out-- well yes I can, all of them except for one.
    Would be nice to click the photos and have "Add Comment" right there. Visitors just don't think to go to "Show Details" to get to add a comment.
    See customization #27 here to default comments to open in the lightbox view. I haven't tried it from Journal view, but I think lightbox is the same either way.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    That is great! AGAIN, thank you!
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans