Options

Shot my first wedding.

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Weddings
I shot my 1st wedding last weekend and wow what a trip... Tons of fun... but I went from thinking I was just going to help the main photographer who was shooting this wedding as a favor to friends... To being told day of that "your betting at people pictures then me so I want you to be front and center at the wedding, and oh I want you incharge of all the formal shots, you brought your light stands right? :huh .... Ya what fun... keep in mind this is the FIRST time iv ever used my off camera setup in any other place besides my basement studio.:dunno

The groom had a TON of acme that i did my best to touch up, and as you can see in some of the pics was a greasy sweaty mess lol

Here are some of my favs, please C&C

838667528_pkTeS-L.jpg

838663901_cFany-L.jpg

838671242_DxWzy-L.jpg

838672718_b7PTB-L.jpg

839280783_Jg3A7-L.jpg

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Really like 2 and 5. Please take this with a grain of salt because it's going to sound harsh. But seriously, and even though the "other photographer was doing it as a favor for his friends", did he/she REALLY tell you the DAY OF that you "are better at people pictures than me so I want you front and center." ????? Wow, Just W O W.

That one leaves me shaking my head. headscratch.gif Not because of you at all, but that was, in my opinion, very uncalled for. I think the couple came away with the best photographer that day. Kudos to you! thumb.gif
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    Wow! These are wonderful! I love the first two especially... though each of them is very nice.

The bride is especially stunning with her classic hair and dress... I wish more brides would get out of this "stuck with the same look as everyone else" thing and get creative with it.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2010
    Yes! I was definently shocked. I was like umm then what are you gonna do? And he said he wants to consintrate on a photo journalistic style so he stayed at the back of the church and took pics of the back of peoples heads rolleyes1.gif

Thanks you guys for the positive comments I had a blast and hope to start doing more weddings atleast as a 2nd shooter in the near future! wings.gifclap.gifwings.gif

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    I like the whole series. They're solid shots in the traditional style. I think #5, in particular, is going to be one that the couple will keep as "their wedding photo".

Was the primary a pro photog, or just an enthusiast who was shooting the wedding as a favor to his friends?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2010
    He is a photographer enthusiast I would say, doenst do it professionally, has 2nd shot a wedding or 2... The bride was his daughters best friend.. He does want to do more weddings though.

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    Were you using anything to soften your off camera flash? bouncing it off a wall, umbrella, softbox, ... bed sheet? I think that would've helped with the sweaty looking pictures.

I like #2 (dont care for the expression on the first bm face though, but not much you can do about that), #4, and #5. I think 5 needs a little more contrast, but thats just my opinion.

As for the photographer that threw this all onto you... Very unprofessional. Even though he's an enthusiast that wanted to get a photojournalistic approach, it doesn't allow him to hand the gig to someone else. He should've told the bride and groom a head of time that he would be more comfortable as a 2nd shooter.

For a first wedding and not being prepared 100% to be the main photog. Congratulations, I think you did a wonderful job clap.gif

EDIT: Its also possible to fix the highlights in PP, here is a quick example.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2010
    How did you do this?? I use Lightroom for the most part, just got a new desktop and cant even get a trial of version of photoshop right now with the cs5 just coming out... (laptop with photoshop on it crapped out and is hopefully being repaired)

• Options
    edited April 17, 2010
    JayClark79 wrote:
    How did you do this?? I use Lightroom for the most part, just got a new desktop and cant even get a trial of version of photoshop right now with the cs5 just coming out... (laptop with photoshop on it crapped out and is hopefully being repaired)

I use photoshop CS4 (cant wait for CS5 to be released - the new content aware system looks amazing). But, you can do this in lightroom. In photoshop I used the patch tool and healing brush. In Lightroom I would use the spot remover brush in the development tab.

If I had the high res file I could've been more accurate with my edit, but this technique is very easy.

You want to diffuse the highlights, but not get rid of them completely. If you got rid of them completely, the face would look flat and dull. If you want to send me the high res file I can edit it, and make a video on how I did it so you (and others) can learn. I've been wanting to make some video tutorials lately so this will be a great opportunity.
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    While I was 2nding a while ago with a different photographer, he told me a "main" photographer, would hire the "second" to do the "main" photographer's work so that he could do what he enjoyed more. Details and real candids. And he is pretty successful, as I am told. so who knows. :)

This is a good 1st. :) I like #5.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2010
    While I was 2nding a while ago with a different photographer, he told me a "main" photographer, would hire the "second" to do the "main" photographer's work so that he could do what he enjoyed more. Details and real candids.
    rolleyes1.gif aren't the details and candids the second photographer's job? I've never second shot before, but I'm pretty sure thats how it works.
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif aren't the details and candids the second photographer's job? I've never second shot before, but I'm pretty sure thats how it works.

Mostly. But as I was told the photographer hired by the clients, did the "Second shooter's work" and the hired 2nd shooter did the main. Don't ask. Just repeating what I was told.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    the photographer hired by the clients, did the "Second shooter's work" and the hired 2nd shooter did the main. Don't ask. Just repeating what I was told.

This sounds nuts lol