Archery w/ fire arrow volley

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited April 20, 2010 in Sports
my 14 yo son has recently gotten into archery. The archery club at his school and another near by had a tournament yesterday that culminated w/ those archers of a minimum rank being able to shoot a flaming arrow towards a kerosine soaked target :huh Pretty cool. I got lucky in that they ended up doing a couple of rounds of fire arrow shots and got better pictures as they progressed. C&C welcome.

first, some day time regular shots:

1) my son w/ his new birthday bow :lust

840553453_zWizZ-L-1.jpg

2) you'd think he'd show a little gratitude towards mom after she got him his 1st bow and let her take his picture :dunno

840554093_gczFN-L-1.jpg

3) like the intensity of this archer

840570740_fY98x-L-1.jpg

now the fire arrow volley...

4) ready - had to keep the bows at a 45 degree angle to keep the fire from creeping down the arrow to the bow...

840586967_xS4Ai-L-1.jpg

5) aim...

840589628_FNnSb-L-1.jpg

6) the arrows were all much longer and heavier than what they were used to, so only one in each round hit the "target".

840585256_spco4-L-1.jpg

thanks for lookin'.

C.
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Well first I complement you for putting up images from a sport that doesn't involve a ball. It's refreshing.

You drew me in on #1, but showed character on the rest of them..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    thanks Mark; I appreciate your comments.

I am specifically looking for feedback on the fire shots. Any comments? Too dark or ok?

tx,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Don't often see pictures of archery.

Did you take any from behind the archers, so that they appear in the frame, as well as the target? You might then do a 2 or 3 second exposure (using a tripod) with the lens stopped down, so that you see the trails of fire from the arrows; you might have to experiment to get the exposure correct…

…just an idea ne_nau.gif

Thanks for sharing…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • frigidlightfrigidlight Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Of the fire arrow shots, #2 is my favorite. The arrows being raised helps a great deal as far as creating interesting lines in the picture, and for the flames being separate enough that they don't overlap too much on the rest of the content. Must have been really cool to see!