Got My SmugMug Strap Thread

Comments

• DeaconDeacon Registered Users Posts: 239 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Sidelight
    Just thought y'all should know about the increasing familiarity with Smugmug. Wearing the regular and pro straps invites questions about what Smugmug is but more importantly comments about what a great site and how can they order prints from the site.

I typically make an album and print the url on a business card that I hand out at the event. Never yet failed to get sales. Go Baldy...

Deacon
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Can smugmug power users get straps?
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2010
    Yes
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    ghamma wrote:
    This is a cautionary tale:

I have been using the previously distributed SmugMug straps on all my cameras, and they work well.

I got my first SmugMugPro strap at the second Silicon Valley SMUG meeting. I really like the non-slip finish and springy action of the strap. I proudly put it on my latest DSLR

The SmugMug Pro strap really worked well - until the plastic buckle on one end snapped, dropping the camera and lens on the ground. That was the first failure. The other camera I was carrying at the time had the older strap with heavier equipment - still no problem.

I've just had a second failure of a buckle on another SmugMugPro strap with exactly the same results - camera and lens on the ground. Again, the other camera I was carrying at the time had the older strap with heavier equipment - still no problem.

I would strongly suggest that, as a preventive measure, the loose end of the strap looped through the camera attachment be tied off with a knot above the buckle to prevent the camera from slipping off the strap when the buckle fails (which it apparently will do).

I love the SmugMug Pro straps, but the buckles aren't sturdy enough to protect my equipment.

-George Hamma, SVSMUG

I have yet to receive my SMpro strap in the mail but currently use the normal strap. I have also yet to have a problem with this normal strap even when mated to larger/heavier lenses.

Just to make sure, are you saying that the SMpro straps in your experience was not as sturdy (in terms of the buckle where you loop the strap around) as the normal one? If that was the case I think I'll open rip open the Canon strap that came with the camera and re-use the buckle from that when using it with the new SMpro strap.

Just making sure and thanks for the tip. You could have easily saved us all some bucku-moneys.
  • TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2010
    I'm still waiting on my Pro strap as well. I haven't had an issue with my other Smugmug strap, but do have my concerns that it will support the weight of a Canon 7D with a Canon f2.8 300mm lens without tearing the soft materials.
  • ToxMoxToxMox Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Just got my strap. Was under the impression since I have pro account (two actually) I'd get pro strap but just got the regular SmugMug strap :(
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    I just got my strap as well (3rd one now for two cameras), but I got another regular strap, not the PRO version which is what I thought I asked for...ne_nau.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    I just got my strap as well (3rd one now for two cameras), but I got another regular strap, not the PRO version which is what I thought I asked for...ne_nau.gif
    I believe the pro strap is the same as the non-pro, except for the logo.
    edited April 19, 2010
  • Rich828Rich828 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2010
    Pro Strap
    Just got my new strap and was disappointed after openning the package, only to find the standard strap. I have a pro account and was looking forward to the new, great looking pro strap. Don't get me wrong I love the strap, but i already had the standard strap.

FavoriteMoments.net
    edited April 21, 2010
    Rich828 wrote:
    Just got my new strap and was disappointed after openning the package, only to find the standard strap. I have a pro account and was looking forward to the new, great looking pro strap. Don't get me wrong I love the strap, but i already had the standard strap.

FavoriteMoments.net
    Ordered mine in February. Also have two pro accounts.
    I contacted support and they told me that they are out of stock of the Pro straps and to fill out the free stuff form again. :shrug:
    I would have rather not gotten the old strap and kept my place in line.
  • Rich828Rich828 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2010
    re Pro Strap
    ToxMox wrote:
    Ordered mine in February. Also have two pro accounts.
    I contacted support and they told me that they are out of stock of the Pro straps and to fill out the free stuff form again. :shrug:
    I would have rather not gotten the old strap and kept my place in line.

Me to, I appreciate the thought but really wanted the Pro strap and don't mind waiting. Thanks for the response, guess i request again.
    edited April 22, 2010
    Rich828 wrote:
    Me to, I appreciate the thought but really wanted the Pro strap and don't mind waiting. Thanks for the response, guess i request again.

I concur.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    I also concur........actually there should be a box or something to tic to let them know that not to waste a perfectly good strap and postage and that we'll wait on the pro strap......mine will not go to waste as i give them away to people who ask me about Smugmug so it is advertising but still...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    ghamma wrote:
    This is a cautionary tale:

I have been using the previously distributed SmugMug straps on all my cameras, and they work well.

I got my first SmugMugPro strap at the second Silicon Valley SMUG meeting. I really like the non-slip finish and springy action of the strap. I proudly put it on my latest DSLR

The SmugMug Pro strap really worked well - until the plastic buckle on one end snapped, dropping the camera and lens on the ground. That was the first failure. The other camera I was carrying at the time had the older strap with heavier equipment - still no problem.

I've just had a second failure of a buckle on another SmugMugPro strap with exactly the same results - camera and lens on the ground. Again, the other camera I was carrying at the time had the older strap with heavier equipment - still no problem.

I would strongly suggest that, as a preventive measure, the loose end of the strap looped through the camera attachment be tied off with a knot above the buckle to prevent the camera from slipping off the strap when the buckle fails (which it apparently will do).

I love the SmugMug Pro straps, but the buckles aren't sturdy enough to protect my equipment.

-George Hamma, SVSMUG
    Wow - yes, this is exactly what happened to me. The clasp or loop buckle thing gave out. It happened on one side and I tied it, but weeks later the other buckle broke as well.

Both times, I happened to have my hand on the flash, and when I felt it start to slip I grabbed on and saved the camera from hitting the concrete.

I love everything about the look and feel of the strap, but those buckles need to be made of plastic-coated metal.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Nimai wrote:
    Wow - yes, this is exactly what happened to me. The clasp or loop buckle thing gave out. It happened on one side and I tied it, but weeks later the other buckle broke as well.

Both times, I happened to have my hand on the flash, and when I felt it start to slip I grabbed on and saved the camera from hitting the concrete.

I love everything about the look and feel of the strap, but those buckles need to be made of plastic-coated metal.

You're the 2nd or 3rd person to say that. I just received my SM Prostrap a week ago and have not yet used it. I'm planning on using the buckle from the stock Canon strap that came with the camera in place of the one from the SMPro strap.

In my own opinion however, the normal SM strap looks nicer. Although the SMPro strap looks 'pro' when it says pro on it, the normal one has that MS-Sans font with the green ": D" logo, which the prostrap doesn't have. I think that looks cooler. Plus the buckle on the older ones are not prone to breaking, which is a definite plus.

Its a good suggestion to tie the ends off. I would simply sow the ends off to make sure the camera/lens doesn't fall off or use the stock Canon strap's buckles instead, they should have similar widths.

:)
    edited April 22, 2010
    mr peas wrote:
    the normal one has that MS-Sans font with the green ": D" logo, which the prostrap doesn't have. I think that looks cooler.
    Funny you say that. That is the exact reason I don't like the regular strap. Can't stand Comic Sans. I really have a hatred for that font. :)
  • Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Nimai wrote:

Thanks for this feedback. I am working directly with the manufacturing company to get a stronger buckle for the next version.

Thanks,
    Markham
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Just added myself to the list - can't wait to get it!
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • RealMcCoyRealMcCoy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 23, 2010
    Ordered mine (now) 3 days ago (it's midnight)... soooo excited! :) Had been reading old forum posts over at PhotoCamel and POTN about it... finally joined SmugMug (recent camera acquisition wiped out funds)... and immediately ordered the strap.

Oh yeah, and this is my 1st post on Dgrin! :D
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Nimai wrote:
    Wow - yes, this is exactly what happened to me. The clasp or loop buckle thing gave out. It happened on one side and I tied it, but weeks later the other buckle broke as well. ...

Exactly the same here. The plastic buckle broke and had to tie it to continue shooting.
  • rc madrc mad Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2010
    I've had a smugmug strap for a while now, tis great thumb.gif

All i want now is some smugmug stickers, been trying for ages, all smugmug support said was to go to the free stuff page and register, but if i do that i'll also get another strap, which i don't want to do as it will deprive a needier smuggy of their strap.

what to do headscratch.gif
    edited April 25, 2010
    rc mad wrote:
    I've had a smugmug strap for a while now, tis great thumb.gif

All i want now is some smugmug stickers, been trying for ages, all smugmug support said was to go to the free stuff page and register, but if i do that i'll also get another strap, which i don't want to do as it will deprive a needier smuggy of their strap.

what to do headscratch.gif

I also agree with this...
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    I got my strap a while ago... just now got a camera to use it with :D

28174_124643987552968_100000221010232_333552_5630575_n.jpg
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    What's the wait time been for the straps lately? I can't wait to get mine!
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • upiupi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2010
    rgphoto wrote: »
    What's the wait time been for the straps lately? I can't wait to get mine!
    I ordered in march, still waiting.
    edited May 18, 2010
    Due to orders and stuff, the wait time is indefinat. But don't worry, you will get your strat.....eventuallyrolleyes1.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Captain TurnipCaptain Turnip Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    edited June 1, 2010
    Snow!?!?!? where are you man?