Options

which lens to buy?

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Weddings
I " want" to buy a new lens for weddings. I am to shoot my first in July :barb and eventually want to focus more effort in that direction. I get a bit confused when it comes to lenses, but I am thinking that I want either a
Nikon 24 - 70 or a 70 - 200 f2.8

My first wedding begins at 4 PM in a small chapel with windows and the reception will be in a private home.
I may as well get whichever lens will be the better fit for this wedding IF all other factors are equal. Or will my first wedding's venue be too small for me to use the zoom?

This is what I have...(see signature..)

I KNOW I will use my 50 1/4

could I squeeze by with my Sigma 10 - 20 as my wide angle if I buy the 70 - 200 as my zoom?

The wedding will help pay for the lens plus I am selling a camera and kit lens, so I'll only be a couple of hundred dollars short.:ivar
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    My advice is to rent / borrow/ tryout different lens until you know what you want. Different people have different styles, and different lenses work with different styles. Different lenses also give you different options, but if _you_ don't know what they are and how to use them you will not be getting the full value of a lens. Just because a really nice lens works for someone else doesn't mean it will for you. It's all about using tools to express your vision. What's you vision?

In other words, a fancy lens does not a pretty picture take.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Highly recommend the 24-70 and it is tack sharp at 2.8. I leave it there most of the time.
    Probably shoot 85% of the wedding with that lens and 15% with the 70-200 2.8.
    10-20 is to wide to shoot most of a wedding with.
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    The 24-70 is an incredible lens and once you pick one up, you'll never want to let go of it. For the sake of the wedding and what you'd likely spend on the 70-200, *buy* the 24-70 and *rent* the 70-200. (Of course, then you'll have to let go of the 70-200, but that's another issue all together!)
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    you could always get the 80-200 2.8... affordable compared to the 70-200 and just as good.

I personally am a wide angle guy, so I vote 24-70. That's my favorite focal range.
    Jer
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    My advice is to rent / borrow/ tryout different lens until you know what you want. Different people have different styles, and different lenses work with different styles. Different lenses also give you different options, but if _you_ don't know what they are and how to use them you will not be getting the full value of a lens. Just because a really nice lens works for someone else doesn't mean it will for you. It's all about using tools to express your vision. What's you vision?

In other words, a fancy lens does not a pretty picture take.

I 2nd, 3rd, and 4th vote this. While you still have time, rent as many lenses as you can till then to help figure out what lenses will help fulfill your vision. Having done so myself makes me realize how much I prefer not using my 24-70 and opting for different lenses and primes instead.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I " want" to buy a new lens for weddings. I am to shoot my first in July wings.gif and eventually want to focus more effort in that direction. I get a bit confused when it comes to lenses, but I am thinking that I want either a
    Nikon 24 - 70 or a 70 - 200 f2.8

My first wedding begins at 4 PM in a small chapel with windows and the reception will be in a private home.
    I may as well get whichever lens will be the better fit for this wedding IF all other factors are equal. Or will my first wedding's venue be too small for me to use the zoom?

This is what I have...(see signature..)

I KNOW I will use my 50 1/4

could I squeeze by with my Sigma 10 - 20 as my wide angle if I buy the 70 - 200 as my zoom?

The wedding will help pay for the lens plus I am selling a camera and kit lens, so I'll only be a couple of hundred dollars short.:ivar

I will state that both lenses are actually a must have lens.....especially if you plan on moving to a ff camera in the future......

I hae only recently bought any Nikon (or any other main camera company's lenses) as I have been shooting with Sigma lenses for well over 25yrs........the 70-200 is a very expensive lens and so is the 24-70....but you can chop that way down with Sigma lenses........
    Your 10-20 is really only good for a few candid shots during the ceremony or for effects shooting during the reception........I never even thought about a wider lens than 28 when I was shooting film and for several years I shot in tiny country churches and very large cathedrals with a 70-210.....only a couple of times did I actually aqhve to back out the front door of the country church for a group shot at 70mm.........

Unless you absolutely need the name Nikon I would suggest that you seriously look at sigma......and if you are interested in going ff then do not look at the 24-70 s itis too long at 24 on a crop body......but rather look at, the Sigma 17-70-f2.8-4.......with this lens and the 70-200 you do not have any gaps to fill for wedding or portraiture............

I never has an image stabilizer built in my lens or camera until I went digital...........but I shot 80% of my weddings off a tripod...........and never shot a wedding or anything with film faster than 160 ISO............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    I take back my suggestion. I think getting a new lens would be a bad idea. Your current lens line-up is good. I suggest taking the money and investing in your branding. Get a logo, business card, website/blogsite, letterhead, etc.. made by a professional designer. That will be well more worth the money than a new lens.

Having a consistent brand across all mediums your clients see, insures them that you are a professional. I'm not even close to being done with my rebranding, but so far it has brought in more inquiries than usual. thumb.gif
    Jer
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    don't bother renting. Get the 24-70mm now and then the 70-200mm in the future. You ahve 50 and 85mm 1.4 for exteme lowlight and bokeh shots. This is all you need really. The only specialty lens you may need is macro lens for ring shots if that is your thing.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I begun with zooms, but now find myself using primes more. My last wedding was shot 85% with Primes. I recommend the 35/2 and 105VR in addition to your 50/1.4. You need to carry two bodies concurrently for this scenario. Cheers.