Options

Kerri and Brad - San Francisco Wedding

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Weddings
Just finished putting Saturday's wedding on the blog. It was a crazy beautiful wedding, but it centered on two down to earth people. The bride did not want to take time away from her guests to take photos, so we took them after the reception was all over, joined by a close group of their friends. It was weird to shoot in front of an audience, all shouting their own suggestions of course :) Not enough room for all of them here, many many more (and the full story) on the blog at www.patrickpike.com

ef0ddfa55267ba05682ed5026b2d2162.jpg

7fc88db87ce8bdbab0ad18f884ac13ee.jpg

344415bc6450bd118b31047a1fdd6115.jpg

a925261e0425b3d39e6f19b5f816dfd0.jpg

99dbaeff4e5179a34270fd4c8afc1a49.jpg

584de5e0e44822d3ea39fbdc7d3744de.jpg

1f2205d162d104f7a43217f4b1e1f432.jpg

3c80d7d4cd27fc2d50927b6f6221c31d.jpg

df40020c21fa3fd1d169eb323ef99bf9.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Wow, wow, wow! ... have I said WOW yet??? AWESOME set & my dearest respect for shooting in front of an audience! bowdown.gif

Have I mentioned lately how much I love your website?? iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing, beautiful work!
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Wow, wow, wow! ... have I said WOW yet??? AWESOME set & my dearest respect for shooting in front of an audience! bowdown.gif

Have I mentioned lately how much I love your website?? iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing, beautiful work!

YUP...WHAT SHE SAID !!!!15524779-Ti.gifthumb.gifclap.gifwings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    Thanks Angie & Darren! Shooting in front of the audience was the tough part ... especially as my audience had been partaking throughout the night :) I'd try to coach the bride & groom to do one thing, and everyone else would share their opinion on they should do. Thankfully I have a good sense of humor, even at 1 in the morning.

As to the website, I love it too! I wish I could take credit for all of it, but it wasn't my hard work that coded the site, it was my design team's - intothedarkroom.com I'm just happy to finally give my photographs the home I always wanted to!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Quality!

Are the light trails directly on the wall or is that flare in #8? The shadows from the lower rail are great... that isn't from a speedlight is it?

thanks for posting so much of your work Pat. Always so much to learn from you.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    mmmatt wrote:
    Quality!

Are the light trails directly on the wall or is that flare in #8? The shadows from the lower rail are great... that isn't from a speedlight is it?

Thanks Matt! In #8 just about all of the light is coming from the hanging light in the room. The light trails are just the way the glass in front of the light is bending the light. It made a really cool pattern that I knew my camera would pick up. Any other light is just bleeding in from outside the staircase and casting a slight shadow on the wall/bride.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    BEST cake shot I can recall, EVER!!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Love it! They feel like they're popping out of the photo in 4 and in number 9 I feel like a voyeur (in a non-creepy sort of way). Great stuff!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    1 to me looks like it was taken a bit close and centered, unfortunately it looks like she has no head.
    Great idea for a shot taken from a bit further back tuck her into the side a bit have her head present. My favorite part of the shot is the low angle across the train of the dress.

2 he looks unhappy about something, harsh flash.

3 I really like what you did with this one. Perfect composition clap.gif

4 is a great setting. He is flashed quite a bit more than she is and if there were more ambient in the photo the awesome background could play a bigger part in the photo. The couple looks unhappy about something in the photo.

8 I want to like this but the light is just to dominant and centered. Centering the light right over the lady accentuates that everything is centered. I really like negative space but in this one the light is to much.

9 is really nice. You caught a moment in this one, she looks so happy :D

I hope my critique does not sound harsh..several of these photos are great ideas with lots of potential. If I didn't think that I would not have provided in depth critique.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    I hope my critique does not sound harsh..several of these photos are great ideas with lots of potential. If I didn't think that I would not have provided in depth critique.

No worries on that side of things, I always appreciate when people can tell me how to improve!

A few notes from my side...

I have a shot of #1 taken as you suggested, but without the veil. It really opens it up so you can see her head (my biggest problem with this shot), but I just like the lines better on this one. I like to shoot this down low and real wide to bring out the detail in the dress.

#2 has super hard light to go with his serious nature before the ceremony. I'm not sure this light would work if he was smiling...

#3 I'm bummed I didn't take this shot later when the B&G were looking at each other to complete the symmetry

#4 He is a bit brighter than her, I need to fix that.

#8 The light in the frame doesn't bother me - i like the balance between that and the bride. What bothers me about this is the upper left corner of the frame...

At the end of the day, like most of my shoots, I'm never really 100% happy with all of my images. There is always room for improvement and its great to learn for next time!

Thanks everyone for the comments!
  • Options
    AnabellaAnabella Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2010
    The first photo is great.