Bresson at MoMa

mikepennmikepenn Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
edited April 23, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:
    An incredible show, get there if you can.

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/968

I'll second that. BUT - If you are in or around NYC I would even more strongly urge you to go see the W. Eugene Smith "Jazz Loft" show at the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center - 111 Amsterdam Ave.

I have to say that after seeing the two shows, my feeling about HCB, and Smith, has shift somewhat:
    Without HCB there would not have been a Eugene Smith - or a Robert Frank, or a Bruce Davidson, or, or, or.
    But that said, while comparing the two is like comparing the endlessly compared apples and oranges, if the pre-war HCB was an apple, and Smith was an orange, while HCB may have been the best apple the photo world has even known, Smith was the best orange. And HCB's work as an orange after WWII does not, on the whole, hold up to Smiths. All of which translates in English to - Smith was a far better photo journalist, story teller, and documentary photographer than HCB. (But yes, there are some staggering HCB images from the post-war period.)

(Heading for the storm cellar! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

Who was the greater composer, Bach or Mozart? lol3.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing both exhibits in Chicago this summer. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Who was the greater composer, Bach or Mozart? lol3.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing both exhibits in Chicago this summer. deal.gif

Depends on your taste in music. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    The last 12 months has been the best for exhibitions in recent memory, at least for me.

Bresson at Moma
    Smith at Public Library
    Moriyama at Philadelphia Art Museum
    Pioneers Of Color at Edwynn Houk Gallery
    Street & Documentary Photography month in Philadelphia
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    I'll second that. BUT - If you are in or around NYC I would even more strongly urge you to go see the W. Eugene Smith "Jazz Loft" show at the New York Public Library at Lincoln Center - 111 Amsterdam Ave.

I have to say that after seeing the two shows, my feeling about HCB, and Smith, has shift somewhat:
    Without HCB there would not have been a Eugene Smith - or a Robert Frank, or a Bruce Davidson, or, or, or.
    But that said, while comparing the two is like comparing the endlessly compared apples and oranges, if the pre-war HCB was an apple, and Smith was an orange, while HCB may have been the best apple the photo world has even known, Smith was the best orange. And HCB's work as an orange after WWII does not, on the whole, hold up to Smiths. All of which translates in English to - Smith was a far better photo journalist, story teller, and documentary photographer than HCB. (But yes, there are some staggering HCB images from the post-war period.)

Everyone here better own a copy of Dream Street: Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh Project !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZkD7W85hM
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2010
    mikepenn wrote:
    Everyone here better own a copy of Dream Street: Eugene Smith's Pittsburgh Project !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhZkD7W85hM

Amen! And that book really makes my case. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com