Options

Double the main light

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited April 23, 2010 in People
Love this look for sports shots. Just add another main on the other side and go with two mains. Also added a kicker coming up from down front. Your thoughts?

844619965_aiw3m-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    An idea comes to mind.....thinking spot light (snoot) from one side or the other gelled to back of head and just a bit more light on the bg for separation but more importantly for a cool texture add on in post. Realizing this is a desat w/selective color...the gel would still allow for full color should you go that way.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    A couple of thoughts come to mind:
    • You only have one main light. The second is your fill and is at a power level (as perceived by your subject) of quite a bit less than the main.

• The kicker below is doing a wonderful job

• You need a light from behind (probably off to one side as well) to get some better seperation between the background and her hoody - think some sort of rim light effect. You have the start of that on her left side, but you need a bit more on her right. Or ...

• You could add some light to the background to seperate it from her hoody.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    OK.....right now I'm playing and bored waiting for my next session.

844641492_9FWUt-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Scott, her hair was blocking the other main..they were equal..but it was different looking so I sort of liked it.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Two mains at 45-degrees opposite of each other, a kicker down low and a b/g light? Did I get that right?
    I like the original more than the second. Like how the shadows are working on her face.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Andrew, the amt of lights are correct. Just put the mains alittle further behind than 45. In reality the lower light in front is supposed to act as the main. The two lights at the 45's should be alittle hotter that the main. I wan't paying attention to the bkg lt and missed centering it so I had to burn in like crazy to even it out.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    I'm with Swartzy as in that I would like a little bit more bg separation in the first shot. Otherwise, I like it from a shooting point of view. I don't care for the sel. coloring, simply because the first thing I see when I look at the photo is now "MacGregor" instead of her pretty face.