Options

Urban Explorers - BE CAREFUL

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
edited April 22, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
A lot of photographers like to go into abandoned buildings, factories and sites to take pictures.

The last two weeks 2 serious accidents happened over here in Belgium:

Two weeks ago two photographers fell through a floor in an abandoned building. Both were injured but were able to leave on their own.

Last week two women were "exploring" an abandoned factory in the village where I live. One of them fell into a pit. She probably hit her head since she did not respond to calls from her friend. The pit was partly filled with water and oil. The friend was able to alert the emergency services and jumped into the pit to keep her head above water. Fire fighters and rescue team were only able to find both because the second woman was shouting for help. Unfortunately the woman died later in hospital.

Picture is not mine so only the link: http://editietemse.be/images/stories/ongevallen/tielrode_steenbakkerij.jpg

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Always good advice, and proceed at your own risk. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2010
    Yes they are dangerous places but so cool. I had to jump out of the way of a rattlesnake in an old barn while I was busy watching the Owls in the rafters. I stepped right over the sleeping 3ft rattler. We both woke up real quick. I have not jumped that fast and far in years. Always be aware of where you are stepping. Lessons are hard learn sometimes.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SaraSmileSaraSmile Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2010
    I used to take pictures in old abandoned buildings when I was in art school and yes it was dangerous! I stopped doing that sort of thing when I realized that there were people living in a lot of them and I couldn't predict their behavior. Twenty years later there are too many drug addicts hanging around in forgotten buildings and that's not something that I would do anymore.