Options

Question on exposure

52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited July 24, 2005 in Technique
Another problem I noticed with the shots I took at the air show today, is that they all look a little bit dark. Granted it wasn't exactly nice weather for an air show (we all crowded into a big hanger while the worst of it blew through), but I think they should be a little brighter. I've corrected a few of the RAW shots and they look pretty good, but I'd rather have them look better from the start.
Should I just use the camera exposure adjustment and over expose them as compared to what it thinks it should be?
These were shot with a 20D and a 70-200mm.
Other than the exposure, I'm pretty happy with the sharpness and quality!
Any ideas how I make the EXIF info from smugmug open in a small box like it does when I'm at smugmug? These links open a new maximized window, which I don't like as much.
EXIF
29496087-L.jpg

EXIF
29496088-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    you need to tell us exactly how you metered in order for us to help you here deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Being the noob that I am, I used the aperature priority mode and let the camera do the work.
    Any links to help explain what I should be doing? (after your done rolling your eyesrolleyes1.gif)

andy wrote:
    you need to tell us exactly how you metered in order for us to help you here deal.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    You have just discovered that cameras have no idea what they are doing. Auto and semi auto modes are not perfect, just easy to use. mwink.gif

You need to override the camera using EV compensation when you see the camera is choking in auto or semi auto modes. The more control you exert over the exposure, the better the exposure quality and consistency will get.

If you have not done so already, start getting familiar with the histogram and what it is telling you, especially if the LCD is not giving an indication at the time of capture that the scene is under-exposed.
    52Caddy wrote:
    Being the noob that I am, I...let the camera do the work.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Thanks Shay,
    I shall study tonight and try again at the airshow tomorrow!

In the words of your bratwurst boy, "Laughing time is ovah!"
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    I believe Andy was curious on whether you used evaluative, partial metering or center. You can set those for the camera to use. Also, exposure lock is a nice feature to use.

The exposure method being used by the camera is that little circle thing that probably has a dot in the middle of it on your top display. I say that because that is the display for evaluative and I believe that's the default for the 20D.

Shay said it right. Getting to know your camera is key. I don't think I truly was completely comfortable with mine until after dshooting with it for almost 5 months. Try shooting in manual mode for awhile. You can see the exposure meter adjust in the view finder by your changes to the AV and TV. And then look at the histogram after taking the shot.

It just takes practice. Fortunately, I think the practice is fun.:D
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited July 24, 2005
    For shots such as the first image posted above, Partial metering might have worked a stop or so better, allowing the background to be a bit brighter. (page 71 of the 20D manual).

Looks like you had better luck with the second posted image. Since the subject was centered, and much brighter, that should indicate that the camera was more successful calculating that one, as long as your settings were identical, that is.

If you used Evaluative in the first pic, then the background would most likely have been underexposed as you discovered. The smaller and darker centered subject would have confused the camera into thinking the larger and brighter sky background should have been exposed as neutral grey. It looks as if it was.

If you are using Evaluative metering, you could figure out the best exposure, then go to full manual mode -- as long as you were shooting in the same area of the sky, and lighting conditions did not change much. Or you could experiment with positive exposure compensation by a stop or more (page 83 in manual), checking that the highlights aren't being blown out (check the histogram and highlight view in review). Then set the EC to one click below the blow-out exposure. That should render the sky, and everything else, a little brighter and more naturally exposed.

But as always, YMMV, so it is a good practice to try these things out through experimentation.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2005
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and info. I was using the evaluation metering mode, so I'll try the partial mode for a few shots today. The weather looks to be similar to yesterday!
    Thanks again,
    Eric