> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    For deletions, do exactly as you did: label it "delete" in the caption. thumb.gif Only mods have the power to delete in the gallery, so changing the caption accordingly let's us know to do so.
  • RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    Llywellyn wrote:
    For deletions, do exactly as you did: label it "delete" in the caption. thumb.gif Only mods have the power to delete in the gallery, so changing the caption accordingly let's us know to do so.
    Roger, and thanks.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Time Change
    Just in case you missed it I have changed the time of the Ending and Beginning of the challenges.

The switch is happening now and the current challenge #47 will end on April 5 at 8:00 am PST (GMT -7), 2010

Going forward each challenge will open and close at 8:00 am PST.

Any other questions please feel free to post them here, Thanks.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Just in case you missed it I have changed the time of the Ending and Beginning of the challenges.

The switch is happening now and the current challenge #47 will end on April 5 at 8:00 am PST (GMT -7), 2010

Going forward each challenge will open and close at 8:00 am PST.

Any other questions please feel free to post them here, Thanks.

Oh good, that means the deadline is now 6 pm, instead of 3 pm. :D

A change for the better, I think wings.gif
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited March 26, 2010
    pyry wrote:
    Oh good, that means the deadline is now 6 pm, instead of 3 pm.
    {--- For you it ismwink.gif
    edited April 4, 2010
    How to link to your EXIF info
    This is a way you can link to your EXIF info if you have multiple images that make up your entry.
    If you only have one image then the EXIF should be embedded and a link is not necessary.

Here {---- is how to get the url to your EXIF data.

Once you have the url then you can use this code to post it in your caption for the challenge gallery

[PHP]<a href="your EXIF url" target="_blank">EXIF</a>[/PHP]

It is actually HTML code but wrapping the code in HTML tags does not display it correctly.
    The target="_blank" part is not needed but it opens the EXIF url in a new window.

I am Adding a link to this post here
    edited April 25, 2010
    Pssst I have a secret!
    I'm speaking very softly so only you can hear me...
    Come a little closer so I can make sure you can hear me.

Ok here is the deal I am thinking of letting everyone know what the next challenge is going to be so that I can get some feedback on if the majority thinks it is a challenge that they are excited about.

I received the idea from tinamarie52 (Chris). The idea is for us to have a two round challenge. The first round consists of shooting a SOOC photo of any subject no cropping no sharpening and only camera defaults etc. The winner of the first round agrees to let the winning photo become the basis for the next round. In the next round the winning photo needs to be brought into Photoshop or some other editing software to enhance it to the next level. The PP steps need to be explained in the caption so anyone looking at the steps can get some idea about what was done and what filters were used. The best PP (Post Production) photo will be judged by the photos owner (SOOC winner) and a previous 1st place winner of one of the other challenges.

So... Thats the idea
    Any feedback is welcome.

Oh yea I really don't know why I was whispering you can all hear me mwink.gif
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Well I think it is a ..................

Fantastic Idea
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Just to let you know why I was thinking of this.....

In the Yeats challenge (and others) there were some awesome PP treatments and composites. I wondered out loud where one could go to learn the steps taken.

What if everyone could take the same image and apply their own PP preferences to it, including composites? It'd be awesome to see how each of us brings their personal style and skills to the PP. I thought I could learn a lot from that. I asked Sean about it and he turned it into this challenge.

I think the potential for learning how to think differently and learn something new is huge.

Just my thoughts.....

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Sean, for the first round of this would you vote based on the SOOC image that you like best or the one that you would most like to see everyone use in the second part of the challenge?

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    I'm speaking very softly so only you can hear me...
    Come a little closer so I can make sure you can hear me.

Ok here is the deal I am thinking of letting everyone know what the next challenge is going to be so that I can get some feedback on if the majority thinks it is a challenge that they are excited about.

I received the idea from tinamarie52 (Chris). The idea is for us to have a two round challenge. The first round consists of shooting a SOOC photo of any subject no cropping no sharpening and only camera defaults etc. The winner of the first round agrees to let the winning photo become the basis for the next round. In the next round the winning photo needs to be brought into Photoshop or some other editing software to enhance it to the next level. The PP steps need to be explained in the caption so anyone looking at the steps can get some idea about what was done and what filters were used. The best PP (Post Production) photo will be judged by the photos owner (SOOC winner) and a previous 1st place winner of one of the other challenges.

So... Thats the idea
    Any feedback is welcome.

Oh yea I really don't know why I was whispering you can all hear me mwink.gif

wings.gif That's an awesome idea. I'm stoked!!!wings.gifwings.gif
    What if this turns out to be a good learning experience for the majority we could implement this more often?

peace always, gail
  • Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I've just had a thought, I'm guessing that this will not be able to run in two consecutive challenges as we would have to vote on the winner of round one, and that usually takes 3 days.

Would it be split by a regular challenge inbetween rounds one and two?

Tim
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Sounds really cool!!!! wings.gif :ivar iloveyou.gif
    edited April 25, 2010
    Sean, for the first round of this would you vote based on the SOOC image that you like best or the one that you would most like to see everyone use in the second part of the challenge?

Chris

That would be up to the judge(s). There is never any specific criteria for how a judge should vote.
    edited April 25, 2010
    Velvet-Art wrote:
    I've just had a thought, I'm guessing that this will not be able to run in two consecutive challenges as we would have to vote on the winner of round one, and that usually takes 3 days.

Would it be split by a regular challenge inbetween rounds one and two?

Tim

I thought about this as well. Yes it will Likley be seperated by one or maybe even two regular challenges.
    edited April 26, 2010
    wings.gif That's an awesome idea. I'm stoked!!!wings.gifwings.gif
    What if this turns out to be a good learning experience for the majority we could implement this more often?

peace always, gail

I'm very glad that you are so pleased to see this idea. So far we have had a positive but not overwhelming response. It would be nice to hear some more thoughts on the idea and even have a few naysayers chime in.

Once we have had a chance to refine the idea and try it out then we can maybe consider keeping it as a regular quarterly double bill challenge.
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    I think this is a cool idea. To see just how many different versions we can get from one photo using post-processing techniques. But I think it falls outside the lines of a "Photography Contest/Challenge" and into the realm of "Editing/Graphics/Digital Art" or something of the sort. The DGRIN SHARP SHOOTERS CHALLENGE might not be the place to hold this one. Maybe create it's own challenge. (e.g. The Mini Challenges, The People Photo Challenges, ect,...) There could be a Finishing School Challenge? Just my thoughts.
    edited April 26, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:
    ... But I think it falls outside the lines of a "Photography Contest/Challenge" and into the realm of "Editing/Graphics/Digital Art" or something of the sort...
    Don't you "edit" and "Enhance" your images to make them better than the "RAW" image? Isn't Dark room technique part of what photography is all about?
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    I like the idea. For the judges, it might be fair to put some sort of theme on the first round SOOC challenge. Something big like "People" or "Landscape." Because, otherwise, if the first round has some macros, some street shots, some landscapes, it'll be hard to decide.

I would encourage you to do them in back to back challenges, even if we had to cut down on the submission time by two days and the voting time by a day, and have a couple of days void of a challenge. It'll be more fresh in everyone's mind.

Lastly, I wonder if it might be reasonable to give some guiidelines about how far NOT to take it in PP. For example, composite in so much stuff that is very little of the original left in place.

But I like it!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited April 26, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    Don't you "edit" and "Enhance" your images to make them better than the "RAW" image? Isn't Dark room technique part of what photography is all about?

True, but Photography also requires you to have knowledge of a camera, composition, exposure, and all the variables that go along with capturing the initial image in the first place. Being judged on how well I can alter someone elses image, doesn't seem like a challenge that falls in the same category. Besides I can add a photo to a contest with no editing, I can't add editing to a contest with no photo. ne_nau.gif

Plus in the DSS Challenges photos must be fresh, and this falls outside of that rule for sure. deal.gif

On the other hand, it's still a cool idea, and I would still enjoy participating.
    edited April 26, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:
    True, but Photography also requires you to have knowledge of a camera, composition, exposure, and all the variables that go along with capturing the initial image in the first place. Being judged on how well I can alter someone elses image, doesn't seem like a challenge that falls in the same category. Besides I can add a photo to a contest with no editing, I can't add editing to a contest with no photo. ne_nau.gif

Plus in the DSS Challenges photos must be fresh, and this falls outside of that rule for sure. deal.gif

On the other hand, it's still a cool idea, and I would still enjoy participating.

All good points. You are correct in several things. Photos must be fresh, unless of course the current challenge specifically changes that rule. deal.gif In regards to not being able to enter editing without taking a photo: That is the point of doing it in two stages. Having everyone edit the same image that is a winner is to give a consistent starting point.

It is true that some of the participants really do not need any help at all in the editing department. The spirit of DSS is one of learning and even the most skilled PP artist can learn a few things from others, of that I am sure!

I am glad to hear that you would enjoy participating. And thank you for being one of the first to start discussing the negative aspects of the idea.
    edited April 26, 2010
    sherstone wrote:
    And thank you for being one of the first to start discussing the negative aspects of the idea.

Hey you asked for it! And I agree you can never learn too much about the editing/post processing portion of photography. Always something new that can be learned!
    edited April 26, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    I like the idea. For the judges, it might be fair to put some sort of theme on the first round SOOC challenge. Something big like "People" or "Landscape." Because, otherwise, if the first round has some macros, some street shots, some landscapes, it'll be hard to decide.

I would encourage you to do them in back to back challenges, even if we had to cut down on the submission time by two days and the voting time by a day, and have a couple of days void of a challenge. It'll be more fresh in everyone's mind.

Lastly, I wonder if it might be reasonable to give some guiidelines about how far NOT to take it in PP. For example, composite in so much stuff that is very little of the original left in place.

But I like it!

Since thinking up an idea and finding a shot is not something that will be necessary for the second part of the challenge, it is feasible to start the next challenge immediately after the results are in, giving the participants a little over a week to perform their magic.

I am tempted to not give any guidelines but... regarding composites you have a very good point. headscratch.gifear.gif
    edited April 27, 2010
    regarding composites you have a very good point.
    I think if there is someone who can composite the original picture right out of the final edit, then they are defeating the entire point. The idea sounded to me, that it was to see how many different ways the original photograph could be worked.. I say if there's not at least 50% of the original photograph, AND it is still the main idea/focal point then it shouldn't qualify for the challenge.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    I think this is a wonderful idea.

Virginia

Email
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Timely EXIF data required on any additional photographic elements added to the picture. That would slow everyone down. I don't think I would be adding anything to it. Just working it my usual way.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    For the record, I think this is a pretty cool idea.

I'm eager to find out how my skills using the free "picnik" software stacks up against CS4 etc.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    if we could use the top five photos to develop a original composite might that give a little more in variances???

btw, love the new Avatar...it's so you....(1/2 there, hahaa)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited April 27, 2010
    if we could use the top five photos to develop a original composite might that give a little more in variances???

I knew there was a reason I wanted to let everyone in on the brainstorming. Top 5 mixology is an awesome idea Aaron!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 27, 2010
    I have been thinking about this since you first posted it but had refrained from saying my first thought until I thought it though. So now this is what I think....

1. This type of challenge is very fun and exciting.

2. Like any new 'challenge' that has new rules...there is going to be large legistical problems. Lets face it...changes for some people are really hard to grasp. Look how long it has taken to get everyone following the DSS rules, we still have noobs who come in and don't follow them or even bother reading them. Bottom line is there is more work for the admin.

3. Suggestion would be that a new challenge...like a mini challenge be established as a trial basis first. What I mean by mini challenge is not to take the place of that...but rather have 3 challenges running on their own accord with their own rules. The 'new' challenge concept might take more time to get smoothed out and since its about learning then no prizes needing other than learning something and getting bragging rights if yours the best.

Summary: The new concept is good. New rules should be written and possibly volunteers to help out the admin if necessary. The new 'challenge' should have its own title and running time along with the original DSS and mini challenge. JMOthumb.gif