Options

Akk! I need printing help

seaelvenseaelven Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited July 24, 2005 in Technique
I am trying to print this on an Epson R300. It's been coming out in an orangey-greed shade. What do I need to do to print it out so that, on paper, it looks as it does right now?

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    seaelven wrote:
    I am trying to print this on an Epson R300. It's been coming out in an orangey-greed shade. What do I need to do to print it out so that, on paper, it looks as it does right now?
    I can't help much but there will be folks who can.. what paper are you using.. what color space are you working in on your computer.. does it match the calibration on your printer.. thats the best I can do so stand by for expert help soon... I've moved this thread to this thread for better response to your question.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Mac or Windows?
    seaelven wrote:

In addition to the rest of the questions.

1. Make sure your printer head is clean (run the test and look at the result to make sure there aren't any clogged spots)

2. Make sure your ink level is not too close to the bottom

3. In Photoshop or whatever software you are using, make sure to use the sRGB color space (I know, I know...)

4. See if your gamma is 2.2 (even if using a Mac)

5. Make sure you have selected the correct paper setting (glossy for glossy paper, not plain or matte)

Soft calibrate your monitor using whatever system your computer uses.
    Check dpreview's strip of white to black boxes to make sure you can see the differences in the strip of boxes...

If the printer is still producing too much orange in the print after you check all of the above, then adjust your image so it looks a little green perhaps and do a test to see how it looks.

OR -- go into the Epson print menu and try the different sliders to force the color balance you want.

I use a Mac and for years have struggled with getting a good print from our Epson printers. I finally gave in because of the settings Smugmug uses, and made my color space sRGB and my gamma 2.2.

Even going in to the Epson controls and specifying I was using gamma 1.8 I still couldn't get pictures to match. I think Epson ignores the fact that some people (graphic designers like me) use Macs!

Since changing my settings my prints come put almost perfectly matching my monitor! My monitor is still just a tiny bit warm, but it makes me happy to see the nice friendly colors, I'm not going to fight it -- my prints match very closely now and it's a pleasure to print, rather than the constant disappointment and struggle I've always had. Hard to believe it's the same printer.

Hope some of these suggestions will help....