Options

New Blog feedback please...

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited April 28, 2010 in Weddings
I bit the bullet and started a blog. It is actuallly kind of fun.
I run it as a POTD running report. Some days I have a fresh shoot and some days I post older stuff. I try to integrate them seamlessly.

I provide background on the shot, how/why I set it up, equipment I used and how I used it and general info about why I like the shot.

It is all written in simple concise language so people looking for info can find it and easily understand it...trying to keep it somewhat entertaining so people will want to come back.

So far it is sub viral :rofl I have been doing it for a couple weeks and have had about 50 views. I do have 5 followers....does family count :barb .

I have integrated it into my alloutdoor.smugmug.com site and hopefully people can figure out how to navigate back and forth.

Anyway some feedback would be great, stuff like, is it interesting, does the idea work, can you figure out how to go back and forth between the sites.
Blog link: http://boiseweddingphotographer-miker.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I like it! It has a simplicity to it, is well written and should with time be a great source of information. Keep at it!

-mrlassiter

www.peachthorn.com
    www.peachthorn.com/press
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited April 25, 2010
    That's a great start. As the previous poster said, the key is to keep posting.

You could help your SEO by using HTML to add your photos to your blog rather than using blogger's simpler add photo.

At least go into compose mode and use a URL to link to the photo on your smugmug site.

My preference is to use a link to the page where the photo lives on my smug site rather than linking to the photo in lightbox. HTML to do that can be seen in this post - Adding photos to your blog.

If you'd like to take it a step further and match the look of your blog to your smug site, see HOW TO match your blog to your smug site (blogger-specific). You can look at my site if you'd like to see an example.

Matching the blog to your smug site will take away the concern about people figuring out how to navigate back to your photo galleries.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    As always, Denise is a wealth of useful information! Denise, do you have any suggestions for customization for those of us running Wordpress?

Great start to the blog, too! My biggest challenge is sticking with the daily posting.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Zoomer: As always, gorgeous work!

I loved your explanations about the tech stuff, but am not sure your average potential client will read 99% of it. Most just don't care about the science of photography that much. But it does say "You can trust me. I know what I'm doing, and will make you look stunning and natural at the same time..."
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Thanks everyone really appreciate the feedback.
    Denise I will take a look at some of the things you suggested.

My goal with the blog is to drive more traffic and SEO rankings, not to try to sell customers....although if that happens...it is all good.

I am trying to create interest among other photographers with the how to and tech stuff and also other people who just like to look at pictures and might enjoy the short stories with each shot.
    My goal is to get people to come back over and over to the blog.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    pwp wrote:
    Denise, do you have any suggestions for customization for those of us running Wordpress?
    At one point in time, I believe you had to be hosting your blog yourself in order to do this level of customization to a Wordpress blog. This may no longer be true, but I have no Wordpress experience.

That said, while the "customizing your blog" thread does reference elements from blogger, if you have the ability to customize your Wordpress blog I would think the basics would be the same. If you can ignore the blogger references (like look for div xyz, or for particular CSS...), I believe you should be able to get the basics based on the information in the first post in the thread I referenced above. The key is to be able to define your banner and navbar in your blog.

Also - I've referenced a "play" blog of mine in the "customizing your blog" thread (http://denisegoldbergplays.blogspot.com) that I use to try different things. Sometimes it is based on a question that was raised here at dgrin, sometimes it is just experimenting with different looks. It is also hosted in blogger, but it is using HTML that you should be able to use in your Wordpress blog as well.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Hey there! Really love your work, and think it's great that you started a blog, YAYA clap.gif

But ..... I'd ditch blogger, and do it right ... go with wordpress thumb.gif They have tons of templates & it will make it look more professional. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    You really have a very appealing style. Enjoyed your blog. Good stuff.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    Hey thanks everybody for the feedback.
    I am not computer literate at all. When I read up on blogs concensus was that Blogger was easier for non-computer people like me.

As far a looking professional, since my website is on Smugmug I am hoping the blogger blog will fit right in.

I have considered springing for a "real" website and blog but after taxes it just doesn't make it worth it to make the investment.....to me.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote:
    But ..... I'd ditch blogger, and do it right ... go with wordpress. They have tons of templates & it will make it look more professional.
    Keep in mind that if the OP chooses to match blog and smugmug site, the existence of "tons of templates" doesn't help. And in my opinion it looks more professional if blog and smug site match.

Of course if you prefer the look of a Wordpress template you could consider changing your smug site to match the template.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, Denise!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    DirkDirk Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2010
    zoomer wrote:
    I bit the bullet and started a blog. It is actuallly kind of fun.
    I run it as a POTD running report. Some days I have a fresh shoot and some days I post older stuff. I try to integrate them seamlessly.

I provide background on the shot, how/why I set it up, equipment I used and how I used it and general info about why I like the shot.

It is all written in simple concise language so people looking for info can find it and easily understand it...trying to keep it somewhat entertaining so people will want to come back.

So far it is sub viral rolleyes1.gif I have been doing it for a couple weeks and have had about 50 views. I do have 5 followers....does family count wings.gif .

I have integrated it into my alloutdoor.smugmug.com site and hopefully people can figure out how to navigate back and forth.

Anyway some feedback would be great, stuff like, is it interesting, does the idea work, can you figure out how to go back and forth between the sites.
    Blog link: http://boiseweddingphotographer-miker.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Looks like you and I have about similar timing in starting a blog. I like what you've put together and will look forward to reading updates.

I've chose to discuss and educate about data storage and back up. I'd be interested in you thoughts on my blog as well. See: http://dirksphotoshop.com