Options

Suggestions

SharkShark Registered Users Posts: 282 Major grins
edited April 28, 2010 in Weddings
Hi everybody. It has been awhile since I've visited the Forum for advice. Today's topic: Wedding Lenses. What is everybody's thought on the best lens for a wedding? I have been asked to shoot at someone's wedding, and I just want to get other people's input first.

I shoot with a Canon 50D, and have a 40D as a backup. I also use a Canon 580EX Speedlight.
I have the following lenses:
Canon 70-200mm IS 2.8
Canon 17-55mm IS 2.8
Canon 100mm 2.0
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens

Since I will be using the flash, should I use the P setting, or is there another way to go? And for the type of shooting, should I use Standard or Portrait mode?

I have other questions, but I just thought I'd toss this out there to see if anything comes back to me.

Thanks in advance.

Shark
"12 significant photographs in any one year is a good crop".
Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    If you want to go to zoom route, the 17-55 and the 70-200 are the general use lenses for weddings.

If you rather be more on your toes, the 85 and you can rent a wider prime lens.

But I need to ask, were you asked by a family member or friend to shoot this? If you really want to do this, you should really practice outside of the P or preset modes that the cameras gives you.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    If you want to go to zoom route, the 17-55 and the 70-200 are the general use lenses for weddings.

If you rather be more on your toes, the 85 and you can rent a wider prime lens.

But I need to ask, were you asked by a family member or friend to shoot this? If you really want to do this, you should really practice outside of the P or preset modes that the cameras gives you.

Best advice.....EVER!! Primes can/will help. Moving beyond "button pushing" will make your art soar. thumb.gif
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    That's almost exactly our setup for weddings,

70-200 f2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f1.4
    Canon 28mm f1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8

And we just added a fisheye but that's far from "necessary".
    We also have a 50mm f1.8 as a backup and another Tamron 17-50 also as a backup (or if we have a 2nd event at the same time, those 2 lenses go to the 2nd event).

When we shot 1-body (with a backup not used) we mostly used the 17-50... now we shoot 2 bodies and usually have the 70-200 on one camera and switch the 28 and 50mm's back and forth on the other (for ceremonies). For reception we use the 28mm and 50mm on separate cameras and rarely use the 70-200 except for outside receptions when we do "sniper" photographs.

We have 580exII's on each camera, hooked to a single Al Jacob's "Black Box" which easily lasts for an entire event powering both flashes.

At some weddings/receptions, when purchased as an add-on, we switch out one camera to remote trigger our AlienBee's (2 of them) and keep the 580exII on one camera.

If I may be so bold, though... if you haven't shot weddings, or it's been a while, I think your main concern should not be lenses - you can easily do a wedding with the 17-55... you shoudl be more concerned with your shots and poses, etc.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010

It's a family member of a friend who is getting married. As far as P goes, I was once told by a local camera store owner that whenever I shoot with a flash, to shoot in the P mode, so that's what I always do. The results aren't perfect each shot though so that's why I thought I would ask that question too.
    Outside of using the flash, I shoot in AV mode mostly.
    Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    If I may be so bold, though... if you haven't shot weddings, or it's been a while, I think your main concern should not be lenses - you can easily do a wedding with the 17-55... you shoudl be more concerned with your shots and poses, etc.

I have only done three weddings, and they were all in 2007, so it's been awhile. I have a list of group shots that I followed for those weddings. Having the list made it a much smoother flow when it came time to do the wedding party photos. But as far as reception photos, I just wing it with what I take. I mean, the mother/son and father/daughter dances, cutting of the cake, garter removal and bouquet toss are shots that I definitely don't miss, but everything else is just as it's happening. I just wanted to see what other folks might think the best lenses, from what I have, would be the best to utilize on this day.
    Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    Thanks everybody.
    Ansel Adams

www.pbs131.smugmug.com