Options

More food curves

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited July 25, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Did I happen to mention that I'm on a diet? You should be able to tell. I'm fixated on food. :rofl

Anyway, I've been getting all kinds of ideas for curvacious food.
I liked the bold colors and strong curves of this one. I bought the pepper just for it's curves. :D
What do you think? Is it any good? Is it better or worse than the pears?
29490952-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    love the colors but the background makes me want to gag snappy :cry

sorry - but you're studio stuff deserves some better backdrops - you can do a ton with white or black foamboard, some of that blue-sticky-clay-putty stuff (for positioning)...

keep up the good work :D
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    love the colors but the background makes me want to gag snappy :cry

sorry - but you're studio stuff deserves some better backdrops - you can do a ton with white or black foamboard, some of that blue-sticky-clay-putty stuff (for positioning)...

keep up the good work :D
    Ha Ha! rolleyes1.gif The word food must have hooked you in.

Sorry to spoil your appetite with that pukey blue-green background. It was actually a Christmas green tablecloth. Yeah, you're right. I'll try something else. But, I still like that curley pepper.:):
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 24, 2005
    snapapple wrote:

Sorry to spoil your appetite with that pukey blue-green background. It was actually a Christmas green tablecloth. Yeah, you're right. I'll try something else. But, I still like that curley pepper.:):

So did Edward Weston if I remember right. Have a look at this one by E Weston and you'll know you are on to something Snappy!!

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/W/weston/weston_pepper_number30_full.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Snappy, you know now that you HAVE to change the backdrop. It didn't bother me a bit.

I do like it better than the pears. May be that I am just in a color mood right now.

I need to be on a diet. Have not eaten dinner, may have peanut butter, etc.

Those are great colors for food.

Pears are classical subjects, peppers are new age, well, in color they might be.
    Yeah, Weston did peppers.............very well.

I do like that shot, though. Gotta change the background. I like the garlic clove thing in there.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Love the peppers
    But besides the background, I find the lighting on the garlic too jarring, perhaps a softer light or add a little yellow to the garlic -- just a tiny tint, but more "burned in" garlic would be perhaps more pleasing? :):
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    snapapple wrote:

I like the curley pepper too. Hmmm...Andy..can we have a deformed fruits and veggies challenge? mwink.gif

Nice shot, snap.
  • Options
    melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    That yellow pepper is a great find! It looks like something out of a Harry Potter movie... like it's about to spout some advice, or yell at you to get off its lawn. Maybe a shot isolating just that one, taken at some interesting angle?

~mel
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    So did Edward Weston if I remember right. Have a look at this one by E Weston and you'll know you are on to something Snappy!!

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/W/weston/weston_pepper_number30_full.html
    Interesting Pathfinder, I am not familiar with this guy. But that's a great pepper there. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    mel wrote:
    That yellow pepper is a great find! It looks like something out of a Harry Potter movie... like it's about to spout some advice, or yell at you to get off its lawn. Maybe a shot isolating just that one, taken at some interesting angle?

~mel
    Thanks for the comments, Ginger, Dee, AeroNut, Mel. I've been busy taking pictures and working them up. I didn't think anyone would be around to comment on this. I did take a picture of the pepper by itself yesterday and I worked it up today. Maybe you'll like it.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    Curley Pepper
    29652580-L.jpg

Taken 7-23-05
    for exif click here
  • Options
    DewDropDewDrop Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    Nice colors and curves. THe highlights bother me though.
    (Or is it just my computer?). Classic tho' it is, I still vote for the pears.
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Interesting Pathfinder, I am not familiar with this guy. But that's a great pepper there. Thanks for the encouragement.
    OK Time out here, as E Weston is an important milestone in photo history, doing this from memory, w/o looking it up, Westons photograph of like Pepper #3 or #8 was banned from a museum for being too sexual. The case went to court and was won.

Educatingly,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    XO-Studios wrote:
    OK Time out here, as E Weston is an important milestone in photo history, doing this from memory, w/o looking it up, Westons photograph of like Pepper #3 or #8 was banned from a museum for being too sexual. The case went to court and was won.

Educatingly,

XO,
    I think Weston's pepper, the link that Pathfinder gave, looks like two people intertwined. Mostly because I can see two heads. It's certainly not any more sexual than a lot of other nude sculptures I've seen. But these kind of curves do get the imagination going. If it was too sexual for them, they must have had dirty minds.mwink.gif

I think my pepper looks like a grumpy old man.

Here's my final version with the highlights dimmed. I started over from scratch and turned the exposure down in the RAW development.
    29700721-L.jpg