Options

Guest Book C&C please

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited May 2, 2010 in Weddings
Hey guys!

Finishing up a guest book from the couples engagement session. I would love some c&c from anyone willing to chat about it.

Here is the gallery link with 15 of the 20 picture pages, and a copy of the page that will be oposit for the guests to sign. Photos left, sign on right. This will be printed at Blurb, and will be my 2nd go around with them doing this. They do a good job for this sort of thing IMHO.

Here is the cover
852433266_KcnEd-XL.jpg
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Nice design; I like the layout. Just a couple of things....images 7 and 8 are my favorite pages, mostly because they aren't together looking at the camera and they aren't kissing. It seems there are a lot of those two types of pictures, and it would be nice to see a few more with just sweet and natural interactions between them, without any visual contact with you as the photographer. All the images are nice, perfectly exposed, and keepers...but a few are quite similar to each other and it would just add more variety.

Also, around image 16, there is a kissing shot where it appears the ring is on her right hand. Maybe it's cus I'm a girl, but it jumped out at me right away that something was wrong in that shot. Was it mirrored in photoshop?
    I was also looking for the ring in more shots...

But all this is a bit nitpicky, and I'm sure the clients will be thrilled with it!
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Looks good.
    I am a big fan of using a photo as a background for a photo.
    I like what you did with it and they should be happy with it.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    It seems there are a lot of those two types of pictures, and it would be nice to see a few more with just sweet and natural interactions between them, without any visual contact with you as the photographer. All the images are nice, perfectly exposed, and keepers...but a few are quite similar to each other and it would just add more variety.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Also ... (and this is just MY opinion, so .... ) ... I'm not a big fan of the pink (text color) on the cover (I think it will look out of fashion in about 2 years) + I'd keep the background images b&w (not a big fan of the blue .... again, just MY personal opinion) + I think in a case where you put a photo over an other one, it'd be nice to do a very light frame around the photo on top.

Just my thoughts :Diloveyou.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

Also ... (and this is just MY opinion, so .... ) ... I'm not a big fan of the pink (text color) on the cover (I think it will look out of fashion in about 2 years) + I'd keep the background images b&w (not a big fan of the blue .... again, just MY personal opinion) + I think in a case where you put a photo over an other one, it'd be nice to do a very light frame around the photo on top.

Just my thoughts :Diloveyou.gif

Wonderful! Thanks to everyone for the input! Angie, those are some of the things I was questioning. She wanted bright colors in there, and I needed something dark-ish, so I used the pink. The blue however... well the blue is a lowered opacity overlay of the sky that I used for background in the ones without picture backgrounds. I'm trying to use it more like a texture, though it is blue tinted certainly. Maybe I will split-tone the background images like I did the front cover... that has the blue over it too. I think she wants some color in the backgrounds. I'm awaiting their feedback as well.

If you look at the blank sing-in page, you will see the sky shot. It is graduated with the clouds so not really throwing blue everywhere... I think it will print a little different than it looks but I don't know for sure. My thought was that it would help merge the pages, but again I don't know that that should be a goal. I personally dislike when pages within a book are drastically different. Maybe I'm going a little overboard thinking I have to theme these and have so much continuity.

I'll try out some boarders too Angie

As for the shots, they are the ones that the couple picked. I agree with you guys and noticed the trend as well. I'll maybe switch some backgrounds to freshen that up a bit. Page order as of now is simply the order I did them.

Thanks again for the kind words and comments. And Thanks Smurfy for catching my stupid flip move... pages have been corrected! Duh!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes