Options

The moon, jupiter and saturn.

docbelldocbell Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited July 25, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here are some pictures taken through my telescope. Taken with my old camera (a Fujifilm S7000), handheld at the scope eyepiece. And yes, there was a little manipulation/editing :rolleyes of the picture with the moon, saturn and jupiter all in one view. Thanx for looking, Kevin.

29533308-S.jpg

29532868-S.jpg

29532866-S.jpg

29532863-S.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bob StanleyBob Stanley Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    You must have a nice telescope and camera setup! Your pictures are very nice. That picture with the moon and two planets, being that close, probally does not occur that often, nice capture!
    Thanks be to God, for our blessings.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    I like that shot of the earthshine. What telescope is it?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    wave.gif and welcome to dgrin - fantastic debut thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 24, 2005
    docbell wrote:
    Here are some pictures taken through my telescope. Taken with my old camera (a Fujifilm S7000), handheld at the scope eyepiece. And yes, there was a little manipulation/editing rolleyes1.gif of the picture with the moon, saturn and jupiter all in one view. Thanx for looking, Kevin.

29532863-S.jpg

I remember hearing about the juxtaposition of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn but did not remember the time or date. So glad to see you caught it - what a great shot!! Welcome to dgrin!!clap.gif There are several folks around here who like to shoot the moon - but you're the only one with Jupiter and Saturn in the same frame too. And Saturn is clearly recognizeable as Saturn.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    docbelldocbell Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I remember hearing about the juxtaposition of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn but did not remember the time or date. So glad to see you caught it - what a great shot!! Welcome to dgrin!!clap.gif There are several folks around here who like to shoot the moon - but you're the only one with Jupiter and Saturn in the same frame too. And Saturn is clearly recognizeable as Saturn.thumb.gif
    Thanx for the comments, but I'm feeling a little guilty about something. The only juxtapositioning in that last picture was done with a few clicks of the mouse. The moon, jupiter and saturn weren't really aligned quite that close. The picture is actually 3 individual pictures combined into one. I really wasn't trying to fool anyone - I guess my comment in the intial post about 'a little manipulation/editing' (along with the guilty looking smiley rolleyes1.gif) was too subtle of a hint. I hope this wont get me kicked off Dgrin :uhoh, I've really enjoyed it since joining. Next time I have a picture like this i'll put it in the Shenanigans post. Anyway, thanx again for the comments.

In response to TristanP's question - the telescope is a Celestron Nexstar 5.

Kevin.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 25, 2005
    docbell wrote:
    Thanx for the comments, but I'm feeling a little guilty about something. The only juxtapositioning in that last picture was done with a few clicks of the mouse. The moon, jupiter and saturn weren't really aligned quite that close. The picture is actually 3 individual pictures combined into one. I really wasn't trying to fool anyone - I guess my comment in the intial post about 'a little manipulation/editing' (along with the guilty looking smiley rolleyes1.gif) was too subtle of a hint. I hope this wont get me kicked off Dgrin :uhoh, I've really enjoyed it since joining. Next time I have a picture like this i'll put it in the Shenanigans post. Anyway, thanx again for the comments.

In response to TristanP's question - the telescope is a Celestron Nexstar 5.

Kevin.

I shot a frame of Jupiter and the moon last year. and had a great difficulty getting them in the same frame, but I knew they were supposed to pass in and out of the moons shadow so I didn't realize this was a composite. I should be more sceptical I guess. Still, nicely done :):

This is my shot from April 2004 when the moon and Jupiter were close - you can see how they barely fit in the frame
    :D
    3390724-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin