Options

Miss Alexandria

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in People
I had a photo session with Alexandia a local model from the SF Bay Area. The original plan was to shoot on the former Alameda Naval Airstation but were kicked out by Security. So we went to Treasure Island and finished up our photo session. We also took a few photos in the Webster tunnel which connects Alameda, CA and Oakland, CA. Let me know what you think on lighting, how I could fix the lightin issues, poses, etc... I used a Nikon D200 with a 17-55mm lense and and my SB-800 with a softbox.

#1 Webster Tunnel
852932620_3M6sL-L-1.jpg

#2 Webster Tunnel
852934176_B7cbv-L-1.jpg

#3 Treasure Island
852939913_xcSZE-L-1.jpg

#4 Treasure Island
852946085_eFbuc-L-1.jpg

#5 Treasure Island
852947034_3RdSH-L-1.jpg

#6 Treasure Island
852947673_QCtCJ-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited May 1, 2010
    #7 Treasure Island
    852947437_5PiQx-L-1.jpg

#8 Treasure Island
    852948518_sqfee-L-1.jpg

#9 Treausre Island
    852951332_DtMn5-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    147 Views..................................eek7.gifrolleyesne_nau.gif
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I'm liking 1/2/8/9 the best of the group. Are you shooting wide-angle on a bunch of the middle ones? The leg proportion seems off (which could be just her shape and wardrobe throwing me off as well), but seems like the camera angle, given #2 seems spot on. Love the light in 8 & 9.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Finally, a model who understands that food is intended to be eaten, not looked at. :D And Miss Alexandria is just gorgeous!

Enough about her ... on to the photography....I can't help to much with posing as I'm just plain not good at that.

A couple of lighting thoughts....

#1 - Move her a bit away from the tiled wall, thrown some light on it from about 45° to get some light reflecting back on her beautiful hair - a ghetto hairlight if you will. Just a tought.

#2 - If you have it, putting a strobe (SB) behind her for backlighting might have worked very well here. Need something to better seperate her hair from the background.

#4 - Need more fill.

#7 - From a lighting perspective, this is the most flattering (and interesting IMO) of the group. Would have been better had you not positioned her against the bright (overcase?) background sky. Turning her slightly from the camera might have improved the shot a bit.

#8, #9 - From a lighting perspective, these are a close second to #7. From total appeal, these rock. Love her expression in both. #8 - not so sure about having her dead-center in the frame.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2010
    Thank You for the advice. I am going to write this down for our next shoot in a few weeks. I used a 17-55mm Nikon Lens. Gotta check if it was wide angle or not.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    justin24 wrote: »
    Thank You for the advice. I am going to write this down for our next shoot in a few weeks. I used a 17-55mm Nikon Lens. Gotta check if it was wide angle or not.

On a cropper, 17mm is wide angle. The 55mm .... not so much. Focal lengths between these two ... well, you get the idea.
  • Options
    CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    I like 1, 6, 8 & 9 (especially 8 & 9). I agree with the other comments about lighting. It looks to me like you used the wide end of the lens on several of these and it was not flattering for your model. She is very pretty and you did a nice job setting up most of the shots. I am trying to learn good posing and I think that you might have posed her differently and used a longer lens to make her legs and hips appear slimmer. You have a good eye for light and the soft box did a nice job of providing fill.
  • Options
    Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Just my opinion. I like #7. I find with most of the others, the background distracts me. Lights, cars, metal fense/w the board on it.... Maybe a little more blur? :D
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • Options
    Sachis2112Sachis2112 Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I think I actually like #1 the best. Sure, the background is a little distracting (only a little) but it looks just like an eyeshadow ad I saw when I was stuck in the manicurists waiting for my nails to dry. (The only thing those places have to read are "entertainment" industry junk...)
    ~Sachi
    Flickr
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2010
    Thank You all for the comments and advice. I should try some motion blur for the background just to see how it would look.
  • Options
    PhotoGuy40PhotoGuy40 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    #1 and #2 are my favorites.......If you would have put a flash behind her
    the image would have become 3d.

Great Work!

Nikon D700
    Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8
    Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8

http://www.BernardFrazier.com