Options

impromptu rehearsal dinner shoot C&C

VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Weddings
I have not shot a wedding YET, but 2 weeks ago I was an out of town guest for a childhood friend of my daughter's on the Notre Dame campus. The rehearsal "dinner" was lite fare served in the Alumni Hall. After an hour I was bored and offered to shoot some photos since there no photographer. Good practice for my first wedding in July. I used my Nikon d 700 and my 50 mm 1:4 lens, no flash.
I didn't want to attract any attention and I wanted to see what I could do with just this lens.

Here are a few of my favorites with catchy captions.:D Please C&C with positive comments as I will be shooting a very small wedding and reception in 2 months.
Keep in mind these are family friends and the goal was not exactly the same as it would be for a client.

1. The proud moms!! Both kids are ND graduates!!
847637010_LReNb-M.jpg

2.The bride's youngest nephew. I am told he LOVES all females, his eyes tells me he loves his Grandma!
847661322_xQU9p-M.jpg

3.Groom's parents.
849001338_b94rA-M.jpg

4.Everyone thought this idea was so funny!
848930086_PwJjB-M.jpg

5. I found this amazingly handsome family!!! Oh wait, that's my family! My husband, my daughter (a bridesmaid in the wedding and prettiest girl in the room except for the bride), her handsome husband- home for good after 2 tours in Iraq out of the military and headed to grad school.
849060766_WUvLp-M.jpg

6. Bride and Groom reacting to a toast.
848932328_YCdgj-M.jpg

7.Poppa of the bride on the left.
848926175_QicoJ-M.jpg

8. I really like to photograph kids, only 4 were at the event. This little gal was quite happy to spend some time with me. I later found out her parents work in Hollywood, where they live, and are in the bizz, so she was not shy at all. This image is kinda ironic lol.
847727353_eSULZ-M.jpg

9.The bride and her maids. My daughter is second from left.
848933504_GPaeb-M.jpg

10.Olympia Dukakis ( sp?) in the house! No not really, the groom's grandmothers along with the bride and groom.Honestly there is another photo in the gallery where she looks just like the actress.
849061327_STsCh-M.jpg

The gallery is not yet complete, there are some duplicates etc, but here is the link if you want to see the rest. http://cottageink.smugmug.com/Proofs/Mark/11917849_DprWh#847659797_6dgFV
Trudy
www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    wonderful captures. excellent processing.clap.gif btw #6 is not showing up.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    wonderful captures. excellent processing.clap.gif btw #6 is not showing up.

#6 is not showing up for me either. Even reloaded the page (which sometimes helps).

Jane B.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Thank you Jane and Qarik, I edited to redo #6, so that seems to work now.

I appreciate your comments, I wanted to know if I was in the ball park for what would be expected at a wedding event. I get to the point where I can't see a lot of my photos objectively and I feel they are not that good. I wish I could look at them like I have never seen them, as if someone else posted them, I'd probably like them a lot better !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    pinkymalingpinkymaling Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Thank you Jane and Qarik, I edited to redo #6, so that seems to work now.

I appreciate your comments, I wanted to know if I was in the ball park for what would be expected at a wedding event. I get to the point where I can't see a lot of my photos objectively and I feel they are not that good. I wish I could look at them like I have never seen them, as if someone else posted them, I'd probably like them a lot better !!

Nice job:) What I like to do is take a few days off from looking at the photos, then I go back and look with fresh rested eyes:) that seems to work well for me. Sometimes the photos look totally different then. Klinh and I are usually very excited when we get home from a wedding shoot. We plug in our cards and go through and rate many photos and by the end of the night (usually 2 am) Our eyes just don't focus as well. When we go back the next day we re- rate and find that some of the ones we rated low were much better than we thought. They tell a story that we would have otherwise missed, had we not gone back over them with a much needed rest behind us. Keep us the good work. I think your gonna do GREAT!
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I think you did super great cool stuff on these! Seriously, I love it.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Trudy,

These are really nice...yep...good enough for a wedding event. I like your post processing. thumb.gif
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed