Options

Advice needed

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited July 25, 2005 in Accessories
I have a Canon 10D coming soon with a canon 28-80 lens question 1 would this be suitable for weddings just for fun, I also want to do alot of sport mostly motorbike racing and would need another lens but what i can stretch to about £300 /$500 any ideas
Thanks
Gary

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited July 25, 2005
    GsGary,

I don't have any of these lenses, but in full-frame SLRs this length zoom was extremely popular. Many different versions were made and quality appears to be all over the map (depending on the version/series):

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/canon.shtml

I think you will find the typical 28-80 (f3.5-5.6) a little slow for dark churches and available light. You will probably also want to stop down to around f8 or so for best resolution on the more common lens.

The 10D is also a 1.6 crop camera, so the 28mm may not be as wide as is desirable for interiors and larger groups.

It will work, I just think it's not a best choice for weddings and that camera. The photographer makes more of a difference than the equipment, so I say try it. (You did say, "just for fun".)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    What lens would you recommend that is not too expensive for weddings and portraits new or secondhand
    ziggy53 wrote:
    GsGary,

I don't have any of these lenses, but in full-frame SLRs this length zoom was extremely popular. Many different versions were made and quality appears to be all over the map (depending on the version/series):

http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/canon.shtml

I think you will find the typical 28-80 (f3.5-5.6) a little slow for dark churches and available light. You will probably also want to stop down to around f8 or so for best resolution on the more common lens.

The 10D is also a 1.6 crop camera, so the 28mm may not be as wide as is desirable for interiors and larger groups.

It will work, I just think it's not a best choice for weddings and that camera. The photographer makes more of a difference than the equipment, so I say try it. (You did say, "just for fun".)

ziggy53
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    What lens would you recommend that is not too expensive for weddings and portraits new or secondhand
    sigma 24-70 f2.8

Runs about 400 bucks, which is a steal compared to the 1100 dollar canon version.

For motorsports......perhaps a sigma 70-200 f2.8 which is probably around 800. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    Have these lens been out long enough to pick up second hand i may be able to get 2 for the price of 1
    Chase wrote:
    sigma 24-70 f2.8

Runs about 400 bucks, which is a steal compared to the 1100 dollar canon version.

For motorsports......perhaps a sigma 70-200 f2.8 which is probably around 800. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    Gary, I'm not sure about bike racing but for portraits and low light in churches, the Canon 50mm 1.4 is excellent & about £220 new, If you want something cheaper I hear the Canon 50mm 1.8 is pretty good too, and cheap as chips thumb.gifthumb