Wide angle lenses and filters

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited January 21, 2004 in Accessories
Over the past couple of days, I've changed my bhphoto shopping cart three times. What's the issue? Well, there are two of them, actually.

1. Do I need slim filters on a Canon 17-40/4L to eliminate vignetting on a digicam? I understand that it's necessary on a film body, but does the 10D (with its cropping factor) use the entire glass? Can I use a standard thickness filter (we're talking UV and polarizer) or must I buy the slim versions. Downside of slim is that they often don't have front threads, so you can't use a standard lens cap.

2. Is it beneficial to buy multicoated UV and polarizer filters when used with digicams?

tia
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Over the past couple of days, I've changed my bhphoto shopping cart three times. What's the issue? Well, there are two of them, actually.

1. Do I need slim filters on a Canon 17-40/4L to eliminate vignetting on a digicam? I understand that it's necessary on a film body, but does the 10D (with its cropping factor) use the entire glass? Can I use a standard thickness filter (we're talking UV and polarizer) or must I buy the slim versions. Downside of slim is that they often don't have front threads, so you can't use a standard lens cap.

2. Is it beneficial to buy multicoated UV and polarizer filters when used with digicams?

tia
    Hey Fish, check the thread where you mentioned this issue before... I asked the same question as #1: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143&page=2&pp=10

the answer was that filters are neutral so edge/center isn't any different.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey Fish, check the thread where you mentioned this issue before... I asked the same question as #1: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=143&page=2&pp=10

the answer was that filters are neutral so edge/center isn't any different.
    Vignetting isn't necessarily about glass quality, but thickness of the mount. If the mount is too thick on a wide angle lens, then it shows up in the corners of the image as dark areas. So...if the 10D doesn't use all the glass, then vignetting might not be a problem. I just don't know if it does (use all the glass) or not. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 21, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Vignetting isn't necessarily about glass quality, but thickness of the mount. If the mount is too thick on a wide angle lens, then it shows up in the corners of the image as dark areas. So...if the 10D doesn't use all the glass, then vignetting might not be a problem. I just don't know if it does (use all the glass) or not. ne_nau.gif
    I know the 300D doesn't. When I was buying a lens last week, a knowledgeable guy at the camera shop was telling me that all the negative reviews I read about the EF 75-300 IS USM in being not so sharp at the long end were mainly only in the edges, and that with my 300D I wouldn't notice. So basically, he saved me several hundred bucks as I was almost ready to in-debt myself for 70-200 f/4 L-series.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]