Options

SOLD: Canon 300 L IS Lens, 1.4 TC could

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited July 25, 2005 in Flea Market
SOLD.

be included, price for the lens alone is $1025.00. Box, manual w/torn front page, no front lens cap, back lens cap included, built in hood. AF w manual override. F4 IS USM, two stage IS (for panning). Leather case. A UV haze filter has been on it the whole time I have owned it. No scratches that I know of on the lens or the body.

With the Canon 1.4 teleconverter, they are combined $1200. Paypal is not included. I do have paypal, will except paypal, but I can't afford to pay their fee and the shipping. Regular shipping only. That is another money thing, maybe we could deal.

This item is out of stock at B&H. I love this lens. I want to buy a 400 mm lens, it is actually cheaper than this lens, the 400 has no IS. That is the only reason for selling this one. This is a great lens. You help me make my dream come true with the 400, and I will make your dream come true with the 300, whether with the extender, or not.

I am leaving now to go shoot with it, love it, ask anyone here.

Questions answered, I hope I did not leave anything out, if I did, someone please alert me.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    bump for ginger - betcha someone will want this!
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    bump for ginger - betcha someone will want this!
    Wanting isn't the problem, it's the paying part! :):
    Chris
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    Photos of FS lens w/box.
    Uh, I don't do product photography..........so far. Just woke up, out back, but I think this is an accurate portrayal of the lens. As you can see the box is mint (humor, sorry)......the lens is mint, too. Any further questions, I can take photos of specific areas, things, etc. 27341088-L.jpg

27341091-L.jpg

Above the whole lens w filter showing. The lens has been protected by the filter at all times, even now.

Below: with the hood extended

27341097-L.jpg

I did not put a photo of the carrying case in here, it is big, like a suitcase thing. I don't use it, I put this lens in my Crumpler backpack. I just don't have many lenses, ease of carrying is important to me, so I don't add the suitcase carrier. I can take a photo if you want.

ginger (note the collar is on it. If the collar is not on a tri/mono/pod, I use it to hold the lens)

It has been one of my two main lenses, since Feb, as such, I have taken very good care of it.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    I'm having trouble with this. I have been saving for/wanting the 100-300 f/4 IS. I know lots of folks recommend primes, but I can't help thinking that there will be some situations where I will want to pull back a bit and I won't be able to.

Of course, the zoom is over $1600 new, and I could save $500 with this one. And I know Ginger has taken great care of this, even if she does balance it precariously on a stack of cinder blocks on occasion. lol3.gif

*sigh* I think I need to wait a get the zoom. But someone should snap this up, I can't wait to see what Ginger does with a 400mm in her hands!
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    Thank you for your comment, yes, I would take good care of this lens. Interesting, I only have a vague memory of knowing that I needed to take that photo this AM, forgot I ever took it. I have slept the day away. (please don't climb long bridges, in the south or anywhere, without water.):bash This was the second time for me where I just started without water.......and didn't stop to think rationally. So glad, I like the photos I got. If I had thought rationally, I would not have climbed that bridge with, or without, water.

So I got a kick out of the comment re balancing the lens precariously on cinderblocks. 1drink.gif

Actually, the collar of that lens makes a great tool in keeping the lens steady as she comes. No problem there. And I couldn't go out front, I didn't have any "clothes" on. Had to get back to sleep.

ginger

Thanks for the comment. I have, in addition to that lens, a 70-200, no IS, F large as in the numbers, the cheap L version, but it fills that gap for me. Had it on a bit yesterday. I use this one primarily at 420 with the extender.

It is difficult when one wants a 1500.00 lens, I went through that, made all these concessions. But sometimes one should wait. I don't know that lens, but it would cover the area that my two lenses cover, easier, and cost no more than mine combined.

I do like Primes, though.

ginger (Why don't you get the 100-400 push/pull thingy. Don't know the cost, but it does go to 400, I hear good stuff on that lens, too. I know some people don't like the push/pull, but I would think it could be gotten used to easily. Rutt said he likes his, or he did.)

On the other hand, you could buy this lens, smile.

I wanted to say that this 300 lens is nicely put back in the case where it is very safe and sound: as in mint.
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2005
    You know, I've heard so much negative stuff about the push/pull that I'm scared to buy one. I was really tempted by this lens; but for once I guess I'll stick to my guns and wait.

I'm surprised nobody has stepped up for this, what's up with that? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    I have the 400/5.6 so I do not need this lens, but I hear it is good! I have heard bad things about the push-pull as well but I had the 35-350 for a long time and it was just fine.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    Ginger you have PM
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm having trouble with this. I have been saving for/wanting the 100-300 f/4 IS.
    Ummm... so how come nobody called me a dope for posting this? I don't believe Canon makes such a lens! I was thinking of the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS which is around $1700. 11doh.gif...Can't even remember what I'm saving up for!

Anyway glad someone is interested, you're on your way to 400mm Ginger! clap.gif Those birds don't stand a chance!
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 7, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Ummm... so how come nobody called me a dope for posting this? I don't believe Canon makes such a lens! I was thinking of the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS which is around $1700. 11doh.gif...Can't even remember what I'm saving up for!
    I thought maybe I missed some new lens from Canon to finally compete with the awesome Sigma 100-300 ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I thought maybe I missed some new lens from Canon to finally compete with the awesome Sigma 100-300 ne_nau.gif
    lol3.gif Nope, I was just being stupid. The only thing keeping me from getting the Sigma is the IS. But it's half the price, and super sharp from what I've read. You need to post more shots with yours, doc!

Sorry for the thread hijack, Ginger... :uhoh
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    Did some research, is this the lense you bought here?
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=3560&highlight=300mm
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 7, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    You need to post more shots, doc!
    I edited that one for you... hijack over. Ginger can consider it a bump :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 7, 2005
    I think it is, I did buy it from him. In early February. I am just trying to come up with a price to make myself whole, so to speak, and I don't have any extra money sitting around here.

I just researched the price I would have to pay for the 400mm. I would have to pay $1028.00 at buydig.com. More at B&H, I always buy from B&H, but I am willing to try a less expensive store. That is what I would have to pay for the 400mm.

I did buy the extender new, they are around 270 or so dollars at B&H. I understand that they can be taped to work with the 400 f5.6.

I was thinking more in the lines of reducing the cost of the lens and keeping the TC for now???

But I would not reduce the lens to the price that Maczippy has there. I could go to 925.00, if I didn't have to pay any shipping or Paypal. Then I would have to come up with over 100.00 to buy the 400mm.

That does sound fair to me, having looked around myself at the going prices for a used 300mm. And mine is in really good shape. Owning it is not a problem for me. It does have IS, I am used to carrying it. I did get excellent photos Mon and Tues with it, and many other times, too.

So this wild hair of wanting a 400mm, I will go that low, but no lower. That does seem fair to me.

And that goes for everyone. $925.00 for the 300mm lens, no paypal, no shipping costs for me. And no teleconverter, I will stick with that one until I see whether it works. Otherwise I will not feel whole.

If anyone has a better idea of how I can make this work, please let me know.

ginger
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    What did you end up picking it up for? What is the least amount you will let it go for? I am drooling over it, but not sure the big boss (wife) will let me. Feel free to PM me or shoot me an email jim (at) turtlehut.com.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    is this deal done?