Options

Saturday's Yosemite Elopement

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in Weddings
The week before we were shooting a glamourous wedding in San Francisco, this week it was an elopement in Yosemite. It really makes me realize how much I love the variety of what we do.

This couple eloped to Yosemite and had a simple ceremony in the valley - just the two of them and an officiant. We stopped by a few different places before and after to soak up the park. I was shocked at how crowded the park is getting already this summer, but there is always some place to slip away. Spring is just starting to hit the park, but not there yet.

The couple was awesome to work with. Tons of killer imagery, and oh yeah, I busted out my point and shoot (images are on my blog) - can you guess where the point and shoot was used? As always, much more on my blog at www.patrickpike.com

96b1be8ccadc6b9c6eb615d6fa20a575.jpg

a49f6795e89d9f04f8071ac47e701ed6.jpg

f49c7b91fb6860e8224e1d13bc811687.jpg

patti_todd_preview.jpg

4baa13876e038f4b4535a1127f5cbcc4.jpg

82f9733b6158a03b2fc3df854cd824d7.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Gary Peterson PhotographyGary Peterson Photography Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Gorgeous images...
    It looks like you captured their day perfectly.
    Gary Peterson
    Gary Peterson
    Award Winning Photographer
    garypetersonphoto@earthlink.net

Winner Brides Choice Award 2017
    Winner Best of Spokane 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2016
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2015
    Winner Best of Spokane 2015
    Winner Wedding Wire Couples Choice Award 2014
    Winner Best Photographer 2013 Spokane A-List
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2013
    Winner Best of Spokane Northwest Inlander 2012
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2011
    Winner Best Photographer Best of KREM 2010
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2011
    Winner Brides Choice Award 2010

(509) 230-9785

www.actionsportsimages.smugmug.com

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    3 and 6 are the clear winners for me....awesome job, always love your work!
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Any guesses on where the P&S was used?
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Any guesses on where the P&S was used?
    #5 - for the faster electronic shutter, so you could better balance the flash to the ambient?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    I hate the needle in the haystack search type questions. :soapbox

...#1? Or.. all of them? :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Love what you captured! I have two friends that just got married (sort of an elopement since very few people knew, but not really since they did have like 5 people attend including one of their mothers) so it's neat to see that they're not the only ones with this idea for Yosemite :)
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Just beautiful.

Love 4 & 5 iloveyou.gif

Thanks for sharing, I'm always excited when I see your name on the board wings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone ~

@Scott #5 is shot at f/14 & 1/160, lots of light coming from my alien bee.

@Ted maybe, maybe not... I'll wait till we get a few more guesses. Also, more than one on my blog was shot with the P&S

@Shima I love elopements and the way they strip away all the "fluff" of a wedding.

@Angie Thanks! The funny thing about #4 is that the groom really did not like having his picture taken. But when he was holding his wife, nothing else mattered :)
  • Options
    The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Great work! Most of the pics on your blog really convey warmth and emotion!
    My guess on the P&S is for the pictures where you seem to be chasing after them :D, like the first pic you posted here which also seems grainier than the others.
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
  • Options
    dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Love the photos! My guess for the P&S would be #1... maybe #4 too?
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2010
    Come on, people, keep on sending your guesses! rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    man i cant even pick 1 favorite! these are awesome! good ol glacier point is looking good! was that taken in the valley? man awesome work!
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    #1 was not taken with a point and shoot. It was shot with my 5DII + 16+35 at full wide, draging the shutter to about 1/8th of a second. They were walking and I was behind them walking too shooting without looking through the lens - where I got the idea for this. Grain was added in Lightroom 3 to add to the feel. This image is a personal favorite from the day.

#5 is the point and shoot - Scott was right (but for the wrong reason). There are two more taken with this camera on my site.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    #1 was not taken with a point and shoot. It was shot with my 5DII + 16+35 at full wide, draging the shutter to about 1/8th of a second. They were walking and I was behind them walking too shooting without looking through the lens - where I got the idea for this. Grain was added in Lightroom 3 to add to the feel. This image is a personal favorite from the day.

#5 is the point and shoot - Scott was right (but for the wrong reason). There are two more taken with this camera on my site.

I knew that. I was... testing your memory! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010

But it could have been done that way. P&S cameras often do have a faster sync speed and a faster shutter will tend to limit ambient while still allowing a good fill flash. So there: :D
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    But it could have been done that way. P&S cameras often do have a faster sync speed and a faster shutter will tend to limit ambient while still allowing a good fill flash. So there: :D

It's a great feature! My P&S will sync up to 1/1000 with Pocket Wizards. Just before I pulled out my P&S I had taken a similar frame with my 5DII and sync'd it @ 1/200 so I didn't want to take the time to adjust my light :)
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Ha! I never would have guessed 5. I was really scratching my head thinking they all had obvious off camera flash (silly me), or were too wide or the bokeh was too nice. 1 was first runner in my mind but that would have been too obvious. Anyways, great set Pat. I think I like 4 the best just because it is so natural. 6 and 2 are awesome as well.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2010
    It's a great feature! My P&S will sync up to 1/1000 with Pocket Wizards. Just before I pulled out my P&S I had taken a similar frame with my 5DII and sync'd it @ 1/200 so I didn't want to take the time to adjust my light :)
    Here's how I think about it ... You know what aperture your flash is set to. That's independant of the shutter speed. So you set up the P&S at that aperture and your clients are perfectly lit by the flash. Increase your shutter speed to 1/400 (for example) and the background will be 1 stop less exposed than it was with the 5DII. Easy Peasy.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Fabulous Patrick...just fabulous. Your creative POV's and post production continue to inspire me to stretch out as a "native traditionalist". Inspiring. Love your blog & website. Incredible settings...of course Yosemite would be an awesome place to shoot...been there for landscaping but wow....portrait work would be icing on the cake. Excellent work.thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Great stuff, per usual. #6 is my fav.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2010
    Thanks again everyone ~

@Matt Actually you can get some pretty decent bokeh on a P&S if you are careful with it. There are the other images from my site that were taken with my P&S, no lights this time.

4164ed6c95407d09e80891c328d5c9a6.jpg

@Scott That's a great way to do it, but I had already done that with my 5D (that's why I was shooting at f/14). I had to be carful not to loose too much detail in the shadows.

@Swartzy Thanks for the good word on the site. I love the way t turned out! It's actually a bit tough to shoot portraits in Yosemite. Everyone (normally) wants shots of Half Dome, Yosemite Falls, etc., but most of the time the lighting doesn't cooperate with our schedule.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Nice!
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes