Options

How to find more second shooting gigs?

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited May 7, 2010 in Weddings
Is it tacky or frowned upon to email/message other local wedding photographers asking them to look at my work, and if they like it and are looking for a 2nd shooter id be interested?

Any suggestions?

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 7, 2010
    Why the heck not? That's called marketing. Funny story -- I placed a Craigslist ad offering my services as a second shooter. I didn't get a single call from a wedding photographer, but I did get two small solo gigs out of it. deal.gif
  • Options
    VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    It's worked and seems like it could be done in a non-tacky fashion. If you have your own insurance and stuff like that it's also worth mentioning.

Keep their perspective in mind. There's a lot to be said for been-there-done-that, knowing how to stay out of one another's shots, being somewhat self sufficient. A confused amateur making all the rookie mistakes could be a disaster.

However; sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place/time, having a suitable portfolio, and willing to work for little (and something like your own insurance could become a decider). Join some forums that have a "2nd shooter" area, like DWF.
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    You can post here in the marketplace for 2nd shooting gigs! Dgrin.com, PoTN, etc. As well as network with other photographers helps too!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Not at all ... I know photographers get emails like this allllll the time ... thumb.gif Just try to stand out & include a link to your portfolio thumb.gif ... oh, and don't make the email sound like you're sending the same line to 50 people deal.gif
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I'm so glad you asked this. I have my first solo wedding coming up in September and would really, really like to do more second shooting between now and then, but never see people looking for them anymore. I love how helpful this forum is...off to check out DWF!

Good luck, OP!