Options

advice please?

dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in Cameras
im choosing between..

a.) canon 550d/t2i + EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

b.) canon 7d + EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

could anyone help me decide? I'd be taking pictures of my family, activites and maybe some vacations...:scratch

and one question.. which would be better... would buying the 7d and keep it for a long time(3-5years) or buying the 550D and changing it when i outgrow it(2-3years) since it's cheaper?
Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D

Comments

• Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    If those are the only choices, I'd take A. The EF 24-105mm lens is excellent and will be useful for many years to come, no matter what Canon SLR camera you upgrade to later. You may find, though, that you want an additional lens to handle the widest-angle shots. 24mm on an APS-C sensor (which both the T2i and 7D have) isn't all that wide.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    i shoot with a 50d and t2i, i do not really like the smaller body size buy with a grip, the t2i has grown on me. on the other hand the 7d comes in a kit wiyh a 28-135 which is not a horrible lens.

the 24-105 is nice but i prefer my 17-55 and 70-200. oh and the 30mm 1,4 sigma.

i do not think though that the 24-105 is wide enough for alot of around the house indoor shots,
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    dantambok wrote: »
    im choosing between..

could anyone help me decide? I'd be taking pictures of my family, activites and maybe some vacations...headscratch.gif

and one question.. which would be better... would buying the 7d and keep it for a long time(3-5years) or buying the 550D and changing it when i outgrow it(2-3years) since it's cheaper?

The 7D with the 15-85mm is an excellent. I would go with the 7D over a t2i any day. 24mm is also not very wide on a 1.6 crop.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,856 moderator
    edited May 9, 2010
    Dantambok,

Since this is your third "What camera should I buy?" type thread in less than a week, I have to assume that you really aren't that solid on the choices.

Light is the first thing you need to consider for quality photography, or at least for photography that doesn't look amateurish. An external electronic flash plus some flash modifiers are the minimum I recommend for quality photography of family and simple events. A flash bracket and off-camera cord are also very nice to have and help keep the light, and subsequent shadows, positioned during both landscape and portrait orientation.

For a Canon camera you really do need either a Canon 430 EX II or 580 EX II, or a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash in a Canon E-TTL II compatible version. Any of these will give you some of the control needed to perform professional looking light, either primary or fill. A second flash gives even more control over lighting options. Since the Sigma flash I mentioned has most of the features of the best Canon flash (the Canon 580 EX II), but at price closer to the Canon 430 EX II, the Sigma 530 DG Super flash is the one that I recommend for starters. (I have 4 - Sigma flashes and I use them personally and professionally.)

I also think that you need a couple of light modifiers as well. The following are my recommendations, and they are what I use too:

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.html

For the camera, as long as you are not doing sports/action photography, the Canon 550D/T2i is very capable. I do suggest that a 2 lens lineup is more valuable than a single lens. What I recommend:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

These 2 lenses fill the most valuable focal lengths, with the 17-55mm dominant for most social situations. The f4 aperture of the above 70-200mm is a little slow indoors, but the AF assist light of the above recommended flashes helps an awful lot to acquire focus. If budget does not allow both lenses then you might consider a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) instead of the Canon 17-55mm, and then the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (non-IS) just to save some money. That's about as low as I would go however.

To summarize, if you got the Canon 550D/T2i with a Sigma 530 DG Super flash, a couple of flash modifiers, and any of the lenses above to cover the 17-50mm-ish and 70-200mm focal lengths, you could cover many and most social situations and expect professional results "if" you use professional technique, which will come in time. :D

Be sure to explore our Techniques forum and ask questions when you get stuck. Also plan on shooting to RAW files and post-processing for best quality. Again, the Techniques forum and the Finishing School are valuable resources for information and collective knowledge.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    final_alarmfinal_alarm Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Dantambok,

Since this is your third "What camera should I buy?" type thread in less than a week, I have to assume that you really aren't that solid on the choices.

Light is the first thing you need to consider for quality photography, or at least for photography that doesn't look amateurish. An external electronic flash plus some flash modifiers are the minimum I recommend for quality photography of family and simple events. A flash bracket and off-camera cord are also very nice to have and help keep the light, and subsequent shadows, positioned during both landscape and portrait orientation.

For a Canon camera you really do need either a Canon 430 EX II or 580 EX II, or a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash in a Canon E-TTL II compatible version. Any of these will give you some of the control needed to perform professional looking light, either primary or fill. A second flash gives even more control over lighting options. Since the Sigma flash I mentioned has most of the features of the best Canon flash (the Canon 580 EX II), but at price closer to the Canon 430 EX II, the Sigma 530 DG Super flash is the one that I recommend for starters. (I have 4 - Sigma flashes and I use them personally and professionally.)

I also think that you need a couple of light modifiers as well. The following are my recommendations, and they are what I use too:

You can create your own light modifiers (DIY). A couple that I can recommend are:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://abetterbouncecard.com/

Joe Demb also makes an interesting device for sale (reasonable):

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I own a FlipIt product and it works well and is very well made.

A site showing various modifiers in use:

http://www.the-meissners.org/2006-small-albums/2006-flashmod/index.html

For the camera, as long as you are not doing sports/action photography, the Canon 550D/T2i is very capable. I do suggest that a 2 lens lineup is more valuable than a single lens. What I recommend:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

These 2 lenses fill the most valuable focal lengths, with the 17-55mm dominant for most social situations. The f4 aperture of the above 70-200mm is a little slow indoors, but the AF assist light of the above recommended flashes helps an awful lot to acquire focus. If budget does not allow both lenses then you might consider a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF) instead of the Canon 17-55mm, and then the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (non-IS) just to save some money. That's about as low as I would go however.

To summarize, if you got the Canon 550D/T2i with a Sigma 530 DG Super flash, a couple of flash modifiers, and any of the lenses above to cover the 17-50mm-ish and 70-200mm focal lengths, you could cover many and most social situations and expect professional results "if" you use professional technique, which will come in time. :D

Be sure to explore our Techniques forum and ask questions when you get stuck. Also plan on shooting to RAW files and post-processing for best quality. Again, the Techniques forum and the Finishing School are valuable resources for information and collective knowledge.

I read the other posts as well and in one other others you mention you currently have a Rebel XSI. Personally i would rule out the Rebel T2I based on that. You aren't really getting much in terms of features over what you currently have, video being the big one. In terms of picture quality i don't think you will gain enough to make it worth it. If you need the features of the 7d that go for it otherwise i think your money may be better spent on better glass for your current camera.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2010
    im choosing between..

could anyone help me decide? I'd be taking pictures of my family, activites and maybe some vacations...headscratch.gif

If you like the smaller Rebel bodies I think option A is better - same sensor as the 7D, HD video for family events, image quality, etc. and it leaves more $$ for lens, lighting, etc.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Wow. You have an XSI? Why are you getting rid of it? What do you hope to see magically happen when you get a 7D?

Get better lenses or off camera flash. Keep your body.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    Wow. You have an XSI? Why are you getting rid of it? What do you hope to see magically happen when you get a 7D?

Get better lenses or off camera flash. Keep your body.

Obviously not.. I just want something better to work with and the Xsi would be an extra camera in case anything happens to the new one..

Oh.. and great advice as usual from ziggy rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Obviously not.. I just want something better to work with and the Xsi would be an extra camera in case anything happens to the new one..

Oh.. and great advice as usual from ziggy rolleyes1.gif

you really can't go wrong with the 7D or 550D but I wouldn't expect any dramatic "IQ" improvement from the XSi
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    you really can't go wrong with the 7D or 550D but I wouldn't expect any dramatic "IQ" improvement from the XSi

I know i shouldn't expect much improvement in term of "IQ"
    but i'm going after the 8fps, movie mode and the new AF-system as well as the micro adjustment..