Options

Wedding Help please......

ShayebrydShayebryd Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited May 10, 2010 in Weddings
I am doing a wedding for a friend tomorrow. It is outdoors at a local Country Club. Takes place at 5pm with the sun setting behind the B&G.

I'm looking for some advice on how to best walk around during the ceremony for photos. I technically will probably be the only photographer, as my 2nd at last moment is unable to attend.

As these are friends of mine I am sure they give me free range to move wherever I see fit....but to remain professional and not be too intrusive on the moment......any ideas on how to best work my way around from beginning of ceremony to end.

There will be one guest sitting front row with a video camera, so I will need to be cognizant of that....

Looking for some directions if anyone would like to contribute.

Also..................if anyone would like to volunteer to help me I would be happy to have you. It's a free event, located near Tampa, Florida :barb

And if you have ANY other helpful tips.....they would also be very greatly appreciated!!!

I have read PathFinders, Scott and Art's helpful links...and so many many of everyones threads of wisdom....all truly lifesavers!! :)

Oh, and in my bag:
5D MKII (arrives today....still anxiously waiting for UPS)
50D
Rebel XTi
Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS
Canon 70-200mm L f4 IS
Canon 50mm F1.4
Speedlite 430EX

Thank you!!!
"My favorite thing is to go where I've never been!"

Comments

• Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    My advice is to get to know that camera inside and out between now and then. You should be able to change every setting without taking the camera from your eye, know how the camera meters, and the limits of the camera. As far as walking around, just walk around. If you try to act all stealthy you will attract more attention than not. Also, don't stare at the back of the camera just keep shooting.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Well that is a tough way to start out, shooting a wedding with the sun right behind the couple.
    Don't get between the guests and the ceremony and don't get behind the wedding party, everything else is open territory.
    Middle of the aisle and outsides of the aisle are yours to roam.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    My advice is to get to know that camera inside and out between now and then. You should be able to change every setting without taking the camera from your eye, know how the camera meters, and the limits of the camera. As far as walking around, just walk around. If you try to act all stealthy you will attract more attention than not. Also, don't stare at the back of the camera just keep shooting.

Thank you tenoverthenose! Also your work is simply beautiful!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    Thank you Zoomer.....Is it ok to cross over upfront from one side to the other?? Or would I have to go completely behind everyone to get to the other side.....trying to figure out how to best try and do the job of a 2nd person and be in all spots at all times..get B&G from both angles!!!!

Also, how would I best meter for bride walking down the isle.......the sun will be blaring right towards her.......how to best keep from blowing the dress? Would spot metering be best? Any other advise? Thank you!!! :)
  • Options
    VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Go behind, never across the front. You can edge in a bit if it's casual. Some churches / ministers are strict on this.

Anticipate events like ring, kiss, candle lighting, walking up aisle, and be have your angle and position all set in advance rather than huffing and puffing around with "oh sh$@" on your mind.

Don't take 500 shots of everything but have at least a few backups of each important part of the ceremony, in particular the entrance and the B&G exiting (nobody really cares about the other people much, but they're good practice).

Take your time to get a good shot ... quantity does not make up for quality; however a poor shot is often better than missing something too so don't go overboard on this.

At least it's not in a dark and echoing church with 5 simultaneous light temperatures going on.

Pay attention to the parents too, but not to the point you miss the B&G. That look of them crying in joy could be priceless.

Get a variety of compositions and perspectives. Go tight, go ultra wide. From low to the floor, kneeling, flower or ribbon or parent's head blurred in part of the shot, etc. All shots being a repeat of the prior is really boring.

Get a few artsy shots in between events. Pay attention to the background - if the sun's behind them realize it'll be a silhouette without fill flash or exposure change. Silhouette is pretty but not for all the shots. Move to the other side where the sun's not working against you.

Stop and take a breath once in a while and make sure you haven't done something really stupid like having EC at +2 or ISO 1600 in bright daylight.

Take a few color reference shots. Just carry a folded white typing paper is fine (they're usually pretty true white). Shooting in RAW helps.

Bring extra CF cards and batteries. Use hot-shoe flash. In fact; bring an extra camera and flash.

Sigh. Maybe write down the main points on a cheat sheet and have a look now and again. Your thinking to find a 2nd is good but if you find one, make sure you stay out of one-another's shots.

In the end; they would have hired a pro if it were so critical to them so just do your best and they'll probably be thrilled. If they hire a professional Graphic Artist to do an album then even the saddest set of photos can be made to look good when presented well.
    Shayebryd wrote: »
    Thank you Zoomer.....Is it ok to cross over upfront from one side to the other?? Or would I have to go completely behind everyone to get to the other side.....trying to figure out how to best try and do the job of a 2nd person and be in all spots at all times..get B&G from both angles!!!!

Also, how would I best meter for bride walking down the isle.......the sun will be blaring right towards her.......how to best keep from blowing the dress? Would spot metering be best? Any other advise? Thank you!!! :)
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2010
    Vich!!!!!!! That was AWESOME advice.........................thank you so much for taking the time to write all that.
    Appreciate it very much!
    Taking notes.............................:)
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    One more minor thing...

You may want to think about what you are wearing so that you stay as inconspicuous as possible. I always wear earth-tones for outdoor weddings so that I don't stand out.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2010
    Thanks Surfdog......with an expected 80 some degrees in the shade I was really thinking of wearing as little as possible....lol...but, yep, GREAT advice....thank you!!!!
  • Options
    VichVich Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    Shayebryd wrote: »
    Thanks Surfdog......with an expected 80 some degrees in the shade I was really thinking of wearing as little as possible....lol...but, yep, GREAT advice....thank you!!!!

How did it go? Hopefully well.

For future reference; here is a good link for wedding photography advice. Long read but worth it.
    Gear - 7D, 5Dii, many lenses , much stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2010
    Thank you Vich! So sweet of you to ask! It went very well.....I was really challenged by the harsh sun.......besides the bride in white....the men wore white tux's. :0
    Just starting to sift thru images now!!!
    Thank you for the link off to check it out!!!
    Have a happy Monday! :)