Options

Google Images/Web Search Engine links

photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
edited July 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I didn't find a good thread about this, so here goes. If I was interested in promoting my smugmug site to be found by Google's search engine, what steps must I take?

What I'm aware of:

1. enter keywords when customizing a folder
2. make folder public

What I'm not sure of:

1. external links?
2. more?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    photodoug wrote:
    I didn't find a good thread about this, so here goes. If I was interested in promoting my smugmug site to be found by Google's search engine, what steps must I take?

What I'm aware of:

2. make folder public

What I'm not sure of:

1. external links?
    2. more?

External links are huge as far as I can tell. I have a blog that is linked to via a group blogroll with 200+ other blogs. I noticed a great upturn in google hits (and then other search engines) after I posted about my SM site on my blog. Now I get lots of hits (sometimes strange ones). My best hit so far was a google search for: inexpensive photography tacoma -- although I have since taken off the word inexpensive and now I don't see anything (maybe I should put that back on). My strangest search result? Young Thai Girls pictures (or something like that).

But I digress. You could also fork over a few bones for a google ad.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    photodoug wrote:

What I'm aware of:

2. make folder public

What I'm not sure of:

1. external links?
    2. more?

You've got the basic idea. I've written smugmug so that Google really likes crawling us and makes it easy for your pages to get indexed by them. So I'm telling Google how relevant to a given subject you are, which is half the equation.

But what I can't do is tell Google how popular you are, which is the other half of the equation. Google does that by not only counting the # of links to you, but also how high quality those links are.

A link from Yahoo.com counts a lot more than a link from mynameisfred.com, for example.

Beware joining linkfarms or other "evil" practices, because that'll get your site destroyed in Google's rankings.

Don
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    External links are huge as far as I can tell. I have a blog that is linked to via a group blogroll with 200+ other blogs. I noticed a great upturn in google hits (and then other search engines) after I posted about my SM site on my blog. Now I get lots of hits (sometimes strange ones). My best hit so far was a google search for: inexpensive photography tacoma -- although I have since taken off the word inexpensive and now I don't see anything (maybe I should put that back on). My strangest search result? Young Thai Girls pictures (or something like that).

But I digress. You could also fork over a few bones for a google ad.
    How are you viewing and tracking the links to your smugmug site?

Matt
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    You've got the basic idea. I've written smugmug so that Google really likes crawling us and makes it easy for your pages to get indexed by them. So I'm telling Google how relevant to a given subject you are, which is half the equation.

But what I can't do is tell Google how popular you are, which is the other half of the equation. Google does that by not only counting the # of links to you, but also how high quality those links are.

A link from Yahoo.com counts a lot more than a link from mynameisfred.com, for example.

Beware joining linkfarms or other "evil" practices, because that'll get your site destroyed in Google's rankings.

Don
    I had chose all the options I outlined....but did not choose or mention "filename"...which I'd turned off. Google never picked anything up. I've now turned it on...we'll see. Anyone concur on this detail?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    mbrady wrote:
    How are you viewing and tracking the links to your smugmug site?

Matt
    www.statcounter.com

highly recommended and easy to install on your site (plus you can make the counter invisible).
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    photodoug wrote:
    I had chose all the options I outlined....but did not choose or mention "filename"...which I'd turned off. Google never picked anything up. I've now turned it on...we'll see. Anyone concur on this detail?

Any and all useful text on the page will increase Google's ability to tie you to the right search results.

Description, Keywords, Caption, etc. Filenames will help, but entering appropriate Captions will help more.

Don