Options

What java software does the beta uploader install?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited July 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Ever since trying the beta uploader my computer can't do anything that needs java (which is a lot of stuff). Can someone tell me what java software automatically installs the first time you try to use the beta uploader? This, coupled with all the other $*%! that seems to happen to me every friggin day is starting to drive me off the deep end.

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Ever since trying the beta uploader my computer can't do anything that needs java (which is a lot of stuff). Can someone tell me what java software automatically installs the first time you try to use the beta uploader? This, coupled with all the other $*%! that seems to happen to me every friggin day is starting to drive me off the deep end.
    You mean the java runtime environment? That is basically your computer's interpreter for the java code, without it no java can run (I'm not sure how familiar you are with this, forgive me if I told you something you already know). You may have installed an update and perhaps that update went bad or didn't get installed correctly somehow.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005

The beta uploader doesn't touch your Java install.

Instead, it's a 50K applet that your Java install runs only when it hits that page.

So it wouldn't have anything to do with causing other Java apps to not start, unless you installed some other version of Java manually yourself. It won't do that automatically.

Don
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    Ok, well when I went there it prompted me to install something java, so I did, but halfway through the comp froze up so the install failed. Any ideas as to what I would have been prompted to install, or how I can go about just deleting everything having to do with java on my computer so I can start fresh?
    Thanks,
    Richard
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 26, 2005
    Ok, well when I went there it prompted me to install something java, so I did, but halfway through the comp froze up so the install failed. Any ideas as to what I would have been prompted to install, or how I can go about just deleting everything having to do with java on my computer so I can start fresh?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    You should be able to find your Java Runtime Environment in your "Add/Remove Programs" portion of your control panel. Uninstall that and get a new one at Java.com.

Good luck!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    Hooray it worked.