Options

DSS 50 - Third Time's the Charm?

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited May 15, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Better? On theme? Quality or does it need something? Preference?

863298850_dHFbB-L.jpg

863299243_C7vVa-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TLVoDraTLVoDra Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    #2...I like the colorful sailboat. What do you think about cropping so the sailboat is in the bottom right corner? This cuts off the right half of the photo, but made the composition more simple and the S-curve of the bridge stood out more to me.
    Tammy~
    "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun..." Mary Poppins
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    For the curve, I think I like the first one better. You can always copy and paste the sailboat to it, from the other...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Love #2. The color pop of the sailboat...the curves, the comp! Nice work!
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    While I like shot #2 more, it's not about the sailboat so theme wise I think #1 is better and more sharply in focus.
    I also like how you can see more of the mountain in the background in the first shot--lovely scene.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    swelldaysswelldays Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I like #1. I'd like to see it if you crop just to the left of the mountain peak and just below where the road exits the frame on the right.
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    I like #2. The colorful sailboat makes it a compelling photo to me, whereas #1 is not.
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    For me, #1 does it. I like how I move thru the frame following the curve. I hit the bridge and my eye moves up to the brightness of the snowcapped mountain, which mimics the shape of the bridge. Very nice.

On #2, the beautiful colors of the sailboat stop me from searching the frame. I'm drawn there by the bright vibrant colors and my eye keeps getting pulled back to it.
  • Options
    sathyasathya Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    TLVoDra wrote: »
    #2...I like the colorful sailboat. What do you think about cropping so the sailboat is in the bottom right corner? This cuts off the right half of the photo, but made the composition more simple and the S-curve of the bridge stood out more to me.

15524779-Ti.gifJust what I was thinking and there was the comment too !
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions, sathya, Froch, liflander, swelldays, Liz, kidzmom, Tatiana, and TLVoDra! Great feedback.

I'm a bit pressed for time this week, Tatiana, and copying and pasting the sailboat is a stretch for me.

So, I tried a couple of crops.

And I am thinking of 'I'd rather be sailing ' as a title.

#1a
    865177576_7rY4Q-L.jpg

#2a
    865177485_HvBu2-L.jpg

#3 And my Black and White Cat. Better than sailing or not?
    865151983_akneG-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2010
    I really like 2a and love the title! This tells a great story. City, rush hour traffic....all of that subdued cement and steel color.....and THEN in the distance a brightly colored sailboat to taunt all those drivers who I imagine are leaving a long work day and heading home to make dinner and do dishes. thumb.gif
    Tammy~
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2010
    Thanks, TLVoDra!

2a is actually a different shot of the colorful sailboat. Here is the first shot cropped as suggested. Is this better than 2a?

2b - I'd rather be sailing
    866778835_f94it-L.jpg865177485_HvBu2-L.jpg

Edited to place 2a next to 2b.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2010
    I like your 2a better than 2b...
    Tammy~
  • Options
    JerryBartonJerryBarton Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    I would prefer your original #2 with the sailboat moved to the right so it doesn't interrupt the S curve as centrally. Great shots
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Re: DSS 50 - Third Time's the Charm?
    I definitely like the sailboat on the right. My eye starts there and then follows the curve upwards. I think that's the best version and a great photo!
    -Mark

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk