Options

BMW MOA Rally Lima Ohio

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
edited July 27, 2005 in Holy Macro
I just returned from the BMW MOA motorcycle rally at the fairgrounds in Lima Ohio. 6000 BMW motorcyle owners showed up to shop at vendors, ride the countryside of Ohio, and tell lies about motorcycling. My son accompanied me on his R1100S and wanted to try and shoot some pictures of the activities and the bikes. I concentrated mostly on details of the bikes. I've never really tried to shoot vehicle shots before - I have a better understanding now of the problem with reflections in the paint and trying to isolate the vehicle from the cluttered and crowded surroundings. All were shot with a 20D and a Tamron 28-75f2.8 Di with a circular polarizing filter.

Here is a side car from the 30s, I believe, in classic black and silver
29625133-L.jpg

This is a close up of an Airhead( air cooled engine ) that had the entire frame and engine powder coated orange - maybe the owner has a secret desire for a KTM
29589061-L.jpg

And the cylinder head also
29629597-L.jpg

A close up of an R100 /S in B&W
29612968-L.jpg

There were other marques present at the rally also - here is a the heart of a Norton
29581359-L.jpg

It was hot and humid, but a pleasant way to spend a few days with my son.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    I love those B&W's! Very nice. I love looking at all kinds of cars, bikes....Anything with engine parts...Not sure why but I like engine parts. Looks like you had a great weekend:D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    I love those B&W's! Very nice. I love looking at all kinds of cars, bikes....Anything with engine parts...Not sure why but I like engine parts. Looks like you had a great weekend:D

I favor B&W for the engines also - there is usually not really much color in them anyway, so I push onto the B&W and try to emphasize the graphics lines.

Her's another in color and then in B&W

29624894-L.jpg

29631892-L.jpg

For this set, I may actually prefer the colorne_nau.gif

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 26, 2005
    good set of engines thumb.gif

the Steib sidecar you have pictured is actually newer, I'm pretty sure that one is post WWII (I'm still learning up on those).

did you get any good photos that captured what a huge crowd was there? I was out on the road before and after, so I didn't have room for any of my photo gear (nor did I honestly want it, it was a vacation from EVERYTHING!)
    :D

would be curious to see any people shots you got (there was about 6000 of us after all!)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    good set of engines thumb.gif

the Steib sidecar you have pictured is actually newer, I'm pretty sure that one is post WWII (I'm still learning up on those).

did you get any good photos that captured what a huge crowd was there? I was out on the road before and after, so I didn't have room for any of my photo gear (nor did I honestly want it, it was a vacation from EVERYTHING!)
    :D

would be curious to see any people shots you got (there was about 6000 of us after all!)

You are probably correct about the side car. I have no knowledge of the historical models of the BMW marque. I just thought the lines of the hack were great and graphical.

I did not shoot any crowd shots - it was hot, humid, hazy and crowd shots are just not my thing either. I was shooting at midday, so I concentrated on smaller detailed shots generally. I thought the motor images might be interesting to gear heads. The strong lines in the orange fork shot intriqued me also.

Why didn't you take your camera? My 20D always rides in my tank bag on an inch or two of foam rubber. Colorado, New Mexico, it always goes with me. That is what I bought it for. ne_nau.gif I continue to be pleased with the quality of the images created with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Di.

The only people shots I took were of a fellow sleeping on his bike and of the ladies lifting an RT. It it humbling to watch a 5 foot 3 in lady well over 40 years old lift an RT. What does an RT weigh wet - 600lbs or more? I saw four females do it - so I am a believer in the technique.

We also went to the American Bicycle Museum in New Bremen - a collection that was originally owned by the Schwinn family. Lots of interesting bikes - but very crowded and displayed in front of peg board. Not very photogenic, but I did try to capture a few shots. I know you are a bicyclist too, DriT - so I think you would have liked it.

A rally goer in need of a respite...
    29615653-L.jpg

How to lift an RT when your significant other is absent or unwilling - The lady IS 5 foot 3 inches tall.
    29895673-L.jpg

Another girl strutting her stuff
    29895463-L.jpg

Another BMW engine
    29639844-L.jpg

I love neon and this was at the bicycle museum. I suspect many of us have seen this sign before in our childhood.
    29895266-L.jpg

One of the many Ordinary bicycles on display - I met a BMW rider there who rides Ordinaries as an historical interpeter - hence he rides without a helmet. He says it is the most dangerous thing he does - he has ridden his Ordinary down hill at 28 MPH. Would you do that?
    29895059-L.jpg

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 27, 2005
    absolutely love the neon sign :PF

I did bring a little camera (haven't uploaded any of the photos yet). I just didn't want to drag my 10D with me as I was camping for the first 4 days, then I actually did a long 3 day tour on the way home. I had a lot of stuff to bring, and in the heat, I knew I wouldn't be focusing on photography, so why chance beating it up. Not to mention my riding days were pretty full, no time to stop much if I was going to make it on time.

I did wish I had it though :cry maybe a rebel xt and one good lens are in my future...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]