Options

Is my old Minolta worth anything?

NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited May 16, 2010 in The Other Guys
I've got an old Minolta 7Xi with a zoom tele (I think it's 70-300mm) and the stock lens (I think it's a 30-70 or something like that)

The camera works fine, but I have no use for it, since I bought my Nikon D200 4yrs ago.

Should I trash it, or try to sell/give it away?

Thanks

FW

Comments

• Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    Try KEH…

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    I sold off a bunch of Nikon and Minolta film equipment last year including a near mint Minolta X700 and a full kit of lenses. Sadly, the bodies don't bring much at all but some people will grab the lenses depending on the glass and speed. My Minolta Rokkor f1.2 50mm brought more than all the other Minolta stuff put together.

I sold all my stuff via Ebay and it went with a minimum of fuss. It was heartbreaking though to see what was really fantastic equipment years ago now bring very little money, like ten cents on the dollar.

Some schools are still teaching film so you might try Craig's List; some student may need for a class just what you've got there.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W
  • Options
    ValderValder Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    You probably have the 35-70...depending on the model it might be a straight f4 or one of the variable aperture versions
    Is the 70-300(?) and all metal zoom making it the Big Beercan or is it one of the newer plastick models? If it is the Big Beercan
    that could get you a few bucks over at Dyxum.com or on eBay.

The 7xi you'd probably be lucky to get $20 for it...the 9xi is the only one in that model range that still fetches a good penny.
  • Options
    NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Thanks for your advice;
    One thing that turns me away from trying to sell on Ebay is their insertion fee. I think it's $7 minimum. So, if I don't sell the item, I lose the $7, and would be better off just trashing the item.

Maybe I'll check Craiglist, or the other site that was mentioned here.
    It's just something I'm thinking of recently because I'm trying to clear out some old junk in the attic and in closets.

I think of it as a shame that a lot of equipment I paid good money for at one time is basically worthless now. But I need to remember that I got a lot of good use and enjoyment from it. After all, I paid $30G's for my Subaru Forester 6 years ago, and in another 4-5 years, that car will be basically worthless.

FW
  • Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Nikonzoom wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice;
    One thing that turns me away from trying to sell on Ebay is their insertion fee. I think it's $7 minimum. So, if I don't sell the item, I lose the $7, and would be better off just trashing the item.

Ebay fees vary depending on how you set up the auction, i.e. with a reserve price, no reserve, buy it now, etc. Fees start as low as 25 cents and can be zero if the item doesn't sell. They'll get you 9% on the selling price though.

I'm not a big fan of Ebay but it is useful if you have a lot of stuff to get rid of. The prices things bring sometimes are surprisingly high about as often as they are disappointingly low. It does take some work though to get it set up and going, take photos, answer potential questions in advance, etc. etc. Craig's List is much easier but less certain of a sale. You can use the "completed auctions" search on Ebay to see what similar items have sold for and get a good idea of what your items might bring.

Your Subaru comparison is a good one, it's just that we don't get as attached to a mere car as we do fine camera equipment. iloveyou.gif

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W