Options

New lens choice

Scorrow1967Scorrow1967 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited May 17, 2010 in Weddings
I'm a portrait/wedding/league photog and I am going to purchase a new lens to go on my 50D. I have a 70-200 2.8 IS and use that for most potraits - I do have a 28-200 (a junk lens, really) that I have used for wedding versatility and some team photos.

I am torn between a Canon 24-70 2.8 USM or a Canon 18-200 3.5/5.6 IS.

The price difference is not a factor - any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    The Canon 24-70 f2.8 is a real lens, the other is not much better than your current "junk lens".
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Thanks!
    Blurmore wrote: »
    The Canon 24-70 f2.8 is a real lens, the other is not much better than your current "junk lens".

I have had others say that, but I wonder if I will miss that zoom ability? I guess I could keep the 70-200 nearby for those reception candids?

Will I notice that much difference on my portraits?

Thanks for your time in responding.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Blurmore wrote: »
    Another option might/would be the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM (or a third party look-alike). This lens, in combination with your 70-200 makes for a sweet set on the crop cameras, especially for those that find the 24mm (of the 24-70) to be a bit too long for some situations.

Just know that the build quality of the EF-S 17-55 is NOT "L" quality though I've had mine for three or four years with only one issue. Though it still worked and I was able to complete the gig, the zoom assembly started to be get a bit stiff and Canon said it needed to be replaced (which I did). Also, there are stories about the IS mechanism not being quite as robust - but I've not had any issue with it on my lens.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Image quality is one thing (and an important one) but focal length plays a huge role here too. Are you looking for more wide angle stuff? Or do you just like the super zoom?

If I went back to shooting crops I would almost definitely get a 17-55is again. It is simply an amazing lens (makes me wish the 24-70 had is for us FF'ers) and fits a crop better than the 24-70.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Image quality is one thing (and an important one) but focal length plays a huge role here too. Are you looking for more wide angle stuff? Or do you just like the super zoom?

If I went back to shooting crops I would almost definitely get a 17-55is again. It is simply an amazing lens (makes me wish the 24-70 had is for us FF'ers) and fits a crop better than the 24-70.

I was thinking the 24-70 would be a bridge to the 70-200IS, but your input and Scott's has me thinking I might like the wider option. Besides, the gap between 55-70 that this would leave me with isn't that huge, is it?

Typically, I'd shoot the ceremony/formals with this new lens and keep the 70-200 close by and utilize the length at demand and with candids.

Anyone else have a different cadre of lenses they use for weddings? I know primes are an option, but I feel like I need some zoom capabilities to get all the shots - I don't typically have a second shooter with me.
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    I am currently using zooms (I may switch this up) and use the 16-35 & 70-200 almost exclusively.... almost.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    I am now using- 24, 50, 100 macro, and 135. I likes.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    +1 for the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS. On a crop sensor like the 50D there is no better choice.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Thanks so much to all of you for responding! You have made my decision tougher, but that's a good thing. I respect everyone's opinion very much and will take all advice into account as I get ready to pull the trigger. Thanks again for taking the time to share your expertise! - shawn
    www.coldhollowphoto.com