Options

Magicstor 2.2gb microdrive

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited May 26, 2004 in Accessories
Bought a Magicstor 2.2 Gb yesterday for my Olympus 8080 it works fine in the camera but I can't upload to my PC through the usb - camera cable. Any ideas anyone??

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2004
    Just spent a couple of hours transferring 70*8mp shots over to the XD card that came with the camera, I think I'll take it back today!
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Bought a Magicstor 2.2 Gb yesterday for my Olympus 8080 it works fine in the camera but I can't upload to my PC through the usb - camera cable. Any ideas anyone??

I've never seen that behavior however I prefer to use a flash reader rather than connecting the camera to the PC; not only is this usually faster, it doesn't eat up the camera battery charge.

Having lived with both flash cards and microdrive for a few months now I strongly prefer flash cards. Microdrives are a great buy for capacity but the performance leaves something to be desired ... and they are, of course, more fragile (although I've not yet had a problem with that).
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 26, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    I've never seen that behavior however I prefer to use a flash reader rather than connecting the camera to the PC; not only is this usually faster, it doesn't eat up the camera battery charge.

Having lived with both flash cards and microdrive for a few months now I strongly prefer flash cards. Microdrives are a great buy for capacity but the performance leaves something to be desired ... and they are, of course, more fragile (although I've not yet had a problem with that).
    I agree with jimf - I have never tried to download images from my camera to my PC even with a 2Mgb Nikon 950 CoolPix. I have always used a card reader for downloading after removing the card or the MicroDrove from the camera. With 8Mgb files - a camera to USB connection will take forever - a card reader will take just a few minutes. Spend another $20 for a card reader and make your life happierLaughing.gif

I also agrre that the MicroDrive is slower reading and writing than Fast versions of Compact Flash. But most of my pictures from my last trip to Utah were all saved via a 4Gb MicroDrive.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Spend another $20 for a card reader and make your life happierLaughing.gif

The $20 ones are usually USB 1.1. You really want a USB 2.0 or Firewire reader, makes a big difference if you're using a microdrive or fast CF. Should be circa $40.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com