Options

carrying 70-200/2.8 around

jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited May 24, 2010 in Cameras
If you use a 70-200/2.8L IS, can you shed some light on how you carry it around with you on an event shoot (banquet, wedding, party)? My normal mounted lens is a 24-105L or 50/1.4. I love to have my 70-200 with me. Do you carry your entire camera bag? Thanks.
Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
FacebookFlickrSmugMug
SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
(use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)

Comments

• Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    It is always mounted and on my shoulder on another body,

one popular method though is a top loading messenger type bag... these can be cheap or expensive based on the leather or other factors but provide an easy bag on your side that is available for lots of extra stuff that you need to get at quick.

I would say if you have the 24-105 and then the 70-200 2.8 mounted you wouldn't need the 50 1.4 mounted constantly but my friends of the prime variety of course will disagree with that.

I'd go for a messenger type bag.
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    When I was working events, I would have two cameras (50D). One would have the 17-55 and the other the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. I used a pair of Black Rapid straps similar to what is seen here.
  • Options
    starlightstarlight Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    It would depend on the shoot, but if I'm using it, it would be on my primary or secondary body hanging over my shoulder. If I need other lenses mounted (low-light/etc) then it's in the bag *just in case*.

I am considering a waist mounted top loader, but so far I've been fine without.
  • Options
    xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    I use mine for out door events that require a lot of walking. I attach it to a mono pod and throw it over the shoulder for the long hikes. It is easyer than toting the 400. iloveyou.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    I use an old 5D with the battery grip and 24-105 hangin on one shoulder.

The new 5D MkII with the 70-200 F2.8 IS on the other. Use a D lock hold the 2 straps together on my back. Put the lens mount on my belt to reduce the weight on the shoulder.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Look into the Lowepro sliplock lens cases, you can attach then to your belt or neck strap. I use a #4 for my Tamron 70-200 F2.8 when I'm outdoors and dont want two bodies or a camera case with me.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    babygodzillababygodzilla Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    can someone explain what is so great about the 70-200 lenses that people are willing to pay so much for them and carry those huge beasts around? i've never used one so i am completely unfamiliar.

thanks
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    can someone explain what is so great about the 70-200 lenses that people are willing to pay so much for them and carry those huge beasts around? i've never used one so i am completely unfamiliar.

thanks

Take your camera into a photo store and ask to try a 70-200L. You'll see immediately why they are so popular with the pros.

I am still trying to forget how it felt and still kicking myself for not spending the money. It made my wife happy at the time and the 70-300 IS USM is not that bad :)
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010

thanks
    On either a cropper or a FF camera, this is a very flexible and usable zoom range. Also, this set of four siblings as a group (and singlely) is among the sharpest zooms Canon makes. Finally, for the huge one (the f/2.8L IS), this is a tool that, for some work (weddings, events, etc) that can not be easily replaced with any other lens (or set of primes).
  • Options
    jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    I use an old 5D with the battery grip and 24-105 hangin on one shoulder.

The new 5D MkII with the 70-200 F2.8 IS on the other. Use a D lock hold the 2 straps together on my back. Put the lens mount on my belt to reduce the weight on the shoulder.

Can you show me a photo of how you hold the 2 straps together?
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2010
    On either a cropper or a FF camera, this is a very flexible and usable zoom range. Also, this set of four siblings as a group (and singlely) is among the sharpest zooms Canon makes. Finally, for the huge one (the f/2.8L IS), this is a tool that, for some work (weddings, events, etc) that can not be easily replaced with any other lens (or set of primes).

im not really sure why its great for events, especially ones in small areas. using a 70-200, dont you have to stand pretty far from your subject? at 200mm you'll be well across the room. or is that the idea? to stay out of sight and catch candid moments like a papparazzi?

thanks
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    If you don't have a second body just get a waist belt and a lens bag and just let the lens ride shotgun on your hip.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    im not really sure why its great for events, especially ones in small areas. using a 70-200, dont you have to stand pretty far from your subject? at 200mm you'll be well across the room. or is that the idea? to stay out of sight and catch candid moments like a papparazzi?

thanks
    Not at all... I use it quite a bit for weddings, both ceremonies and receptions. This is with a FF from about 10 feet. You are able to get right up on them without them even knowing you are there... plus that creamy bokeh is just a bonus. Glorious fall off at 2.8.

600902075_NUDmC-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2010
    thanks! 10 feet at what focal length? 70 mm?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Nope, 173mm

This one is at 120mm... of the same dance same conditions. I should have shot it at around 100mm and included the hands, but ah well.

I didn't have any of that set that were full 70mm

600899037_dPUMC-L.jpg

I don't usually take the 70-200 off for the reception except for the wide shots of the entire room. It is an excellent tool for weddings. I love that lens.

Though remember: these are shot with a full frame camera.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    hmm. I only use my 70-200 for the ceremony. I guess I'll have to try it at the reception. But that leaves my 85 in an overlap.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures