Options

Nancy and Josh - Wedding

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in Weddings
I posted Nancy and Josh's engagement session a while back, and now it's time for their wedding. Great couple with cool personalities - I felt more like a friend than a paid photographer. During the reception he took the stage with his band and rock the house. As always, more on my site.

3d73f2adae33675451efc997baa9021e.jpg

nancy_josh-2.jpg

06129b2caffb6baf747ac655d1960f4c.jpg

nancy_josh-3.jpg

b5645727c2e0c697acfa4eb881b4d709.jpg

a3d41c23f4e8d0c9da7baf2e23b13ffa.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 20, 2010
    What a neat spot to shoot! I'd guess the wedding was around the same spot as the store?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Well Mr Patrick... I think it is safe to say that you have gotten me addicted to pano crops. In the past I would do perhaps one per wedding...... Now, thanks to you, that number has increased to about 10 per. Thanks for not offering me crack, you influencer.

I love these... Esp the library shot. Do you place each person or did you just say... "you guys go over there and spread out and be nonchalant?"
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2010
    I finally looked at the other shots on your site for this wedding.

The location is beautiful and not one that I've seen many photographs of. What sets these apart for me is your sense of lighting and the mood it creates for each picture. Then I noticed the Wawona wedding--yeowzers! More gorgeous shots.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2010
    Thanks for looking!

@ian the ceremony was in Woodside, about a five minute drive from the store. The store is actually in Hoddart Park (a local regional park) with quite a few old buildings still around. Thanks for the good word on the rest of my work too!

@Heather I know what you mean on the panos. Sometimes I feel like I want to shoot everything that way. There is just something cool about including so much landscape - it forces the viewer to actually look around the frame. For the library shot, the guys were "hidden" away there before the ceremony. I walked in and saw the bookshelf and the beam of light from a skylight and started to think that it would be cool to put the groom in the beam of light and everyone else with the books. I only told the guys to "Go back there and hang out by the books", then I tweaked a few of them to make it right (I didn't want anyone behind the groom & someone had to be on the ladder). The whole thing took about 30 seconds... I wish I had noticed the hotspot on his nose when I was there, but I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2010
    Patrick, if you're in the neighborhood again, just down the road is a place called Buck's. Worth stopping in for breakfast :D
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Ooh.. hawt couple!

The dudes don't look like library perusing folk. But light glimmer was a cool thing to capture with the groom!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    #2 is phenomenal use of the venue, in a gorgeous way that not everyone would have visualized. Good seeing. What focal length were you using, btw?

Can you give us some insight on how you pose large groups in #3? Another fantastic group shot from you...I think this is my favorite! Just a beautiful image, all around. Well done!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2010
    @ian Thanks I'll hit that up next time I'm there. After all, breakfast is the best meal of the day!

@Ted Not quite library guys, but you gotta work with you you've got

@Lynne #2 was shot with with my 85L, probably around f2. It's really blown out to hide all the ugly stuff at the end of the hallway, but it also takes on a magical quality.
    For posing shots like #3 the best advice I can give you is to not over think it. Place the bride and groom first (they are really the important ones to pose because you want them to stand out) in this case I put them in the front of the frame lined up on a third. Next I started to randomly place the bridesmaids in the photo - fill the frame up with bodies. My goal at this point is to keep it looking random, no symmetry, no similar poses - keep everyone at different heights if possible (ie., I had a bridesmaid sit down). Throw the guys in around the women. Take a quick look to see if anything stick out as being wrong and make one change or two. If you take too much time with this, you will loose the bridal party and their energy.

This shot was done uber quick. The bridal party took two limos to this location and when we got out the limo driver told me we had to be driving away in ten minutes (they were working a prom later). So that meant I had ten minutes to do the bridal party and bride and groom. Kinda funny actually.