Options

Help with an event logo.

aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited May 20, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi,
I shot an event over the weekend and my client requested that I create a logo to appear on the prints. I've created the logo and even made photoshop droplets to apply the logo, but here is my problem:

If my customers buy prints here and want to do any significant cropping they will lose the logo.

I can move the logo using proof delay, however, I am not sure what will happen if I get someone ordering two different crops of the same photo (ie: two people in the shot, one crop of each person alone).

I was wondering if anyone came up with an easier workflow on how to deal with this.

Thanks a lot!

Alex

Comments

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2010
    I thought there was a way to eliminate or 'proof' customer crops? ne_nau.gif That's the only thing I could think of besides using proof delay.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    No matter what they can crop the print afterwards with a pair of scissors.

I would just put the logo on the images to fit a default 8x10 crop mark, and let it go.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    No matter what they can crop the print afterwards with a pair of scissors.

I would just put the logo on the images to fit a default 8x10 crop mark, and let it go.

Agreed, and that is also where I'd put the logo. But this is also why I've never been a fan of the crop tool in the shopping cart...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Agreed, and that is also where I'd put the logo. But this is also why I've never been a fan of the crop tool in the shopping cart...

But what do you do about offering different print sizes. You have to allow crop unless you only allow one ratio of print sizes. Default crop in the middle doesn't always work. Seems like it could be easy for SM to support some sort of print logo, since it's the same process as the watermark which could be the best solution to it all because of all these crop variables.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote: »
    But what do you do about offering different print sizes. You have to allow crop unless you only allow one ratio of print sizes. Default crop in the middle doesn't always work. Seems like it could be easy for SM to support some sort of print logo, since it's the same process as the watermark which could be the best solution to it all because of all these crop variables.

I only offer 3:2 ratio print sizes. I agree a default crop in the middle does not always work, good point. But I could solve this problem at Exposure Manager by having a different master file for different aspect ratios.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Jeez! Somehow I missed all of these responses... sorry about that. I thought no one cared :)

I ended up moving the watermark up and in more and uploading in 4:3/3:4 so its a little off the top or a little off the sides depending on what aspect ratio is ordered.

I appreciate the responses.

--alex