Options

Dell has released two new IPS monitors

Comments

• Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Ok, for a non-techie, so what exactly makes these monitors "better"? The article doesn't really say much about spec or why we'd want one?
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited May 19, 2010
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum.

Good catch. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
    edited May 19, 2010
    Ok, for a non-techie, so what exactly makes these monitors "better"? The article doesn't really say much about spec or why we'd want one?

The key phrases from the article:

"... color-accurate displays."

"... should provide more color and wider viewing angles than same-size LCDs with TN or PVA panels."

IPS displays provide a more accurate color rendition across a wider viewing angle and they used to be pretty expensive as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    A couple years ago,,,,,, wasn't Dell caught 'upgrading' their panels; claiming one to be xyz but in reality, it was not????

And even if I'm mistaken on the particular manufacturer, their customer service (for me) has been far less than desirable.

300 clams just sounds too good to be true....
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    A couple years ago,,,,,, wasn't Dell caught 'upgrading' their panels; claiming one to be xyz but in reality, it was not????

And even if I'm mistaken on the particular manufacturer, their customer service (for me) has been far less than desirable.

300 clams just sounds too good to be true....

Yes, this was about 3 or 4 years ago. Dell & HP were both caught but way more mud was thrown at Dell and less so at HP. Both companies had a 20" 4:3 monitor (the 2007FP and LP2065) that came to market with a similar S-IPS panel. Later production units of the Dell were supplied with S-PVA panels and HP subbed A-MVA panels. Neither Dell nor HP changed the model number when they did this and sold the units as originally marketed. Owners figured out how to track units by the info on the shipping labels. Dell also switched panels with their 2007WFP wide screen model. This whole fiasco came to be known as the "panel lottery".

FWIW... at about the same time NEC, LG, and others also used the same IPS panels in their monitors but offered variants of the model number with PVA panels. The model numbers were so similar that it led to numerous users acquiring the wrong model. So they were maybe up front with it but in terms of marketing, did not do a good job providing a distinctive separation between models. There were definitely supply and demand issues at the time with the desired IPS panels.

Dell has been providing a 2209WA 22" 1680x1050 99% sRGB e-IPS panel monitor since January 2009 and it is indeed the real deal. Gets heaps of praise from many users and review sites. It can be had for $220 USD via occasional sales or by calling and ordering/negotiating with a live Dell CSR. I have one here in front of me next to my Samsung 215TW, calibrated. It was on sale for $209 CAD and I could not resist.

From what I've read, their customer service wrt to the 2209WA, when there have been issues (mostly dead pixels), has been excellent.

Shortly after Dell started shipping the 2209WA, NEC introduced the EA231WMi which is a 23" 1920x1080 100% sRGB monitor using a variant of the e-IPS panel found in the 2209WA. Viewsonic also introduced the VP2365WB using the same IPS panel. The NEC, for the most part, is a solid monitor though there are some reports of uniformity issues. The NEC and Viewsonic can both be found in the low $300's USD.

Recently, HP introduced the ZR22w and ZR24w. Both use a variant of the e-IPS panel technology. The ZR22W is 21.5" 1920x1080, covers 96% of the sRGB color space, and lists for $289 USD. The ZR24w is 24" 1920x1200, 97% sRGB, and can be found for under $400 USD.

So now we have the new Dell's which are using the same LG supplied IPS panels like all the others listed above. I expect they will perform quite well.

Keep an eye on these web sites for a review of them.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/reviews.php

So to address your last point.... 300 clams is the real deal for a monitor that does not have a 6bit TN panel, that does have an 8bit IPS panel, covers 95 to 100% of the sRGB color space, and has enough on board controls that with a good hardware colorimeter you can calibrate it quite well.

All these points add up to a good deal for the hobbyist photographer who wants a decent monitor to edit and view images on.

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Loving this trend of low-priced IPS monitors. Heck, you get one in an iPad now...
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »

So to address your last point.... 300 clams is the real deal for a monitor that does not have a 6bit TN panel, that does have an 8bit IPS panel, covers 95 to 100% of the sRGB color space, and has enough on board controls that with a good hardware colorimeter you can calibrate it quite well.

All these points add up to a good deal for the hobbyist photographer who wants a decent monitor to edit and view images on.

WOW! How things have changed.... Wasn't that long ago when $700.00 was "The Deal".

I might just talk myself into picking one of these up - Being able to work on 2 displays sounds intriguing and having a back-up is always nice. If I can get into a 2209WA for under 250,,,, thad be sweeeet.

FTR; my CS gripe was over one of their lap-tops. Something that still leaves a bitter taste in the back of my throat.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    One problem I had was Dell Canada did not list the 2209wa when I decided to purchase, sigh...

Ebay was an option but I decided to buy from shoprbc in Canada, I paid ~$400 and I see they have it on sale right now for $275.

Regular price on the Dell Canada site is $349.

Very pleased with the monitor.

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    bolistonboliston Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2010
    I can definitely recommend the HP ZR22w - I have had mine now for about 4 weeks and have clocked up 208 hours use on it so far (according to the OSD menu). Before this I used a Sony Vaio Laptop but this screen will blow away any laptop or TN panel monitor in terms of colour quality and black levels.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    I absolutely love my Dell U2410. The amount of connections and features are amazing and of course its gorgeous! I wish they have a U2411..
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2010
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    One problem I had was Dell Canada did not list the 2209wa when I decided to purchase, sigh...

Cheers, Don

I had the exact same trouble a year and a bit ago. Infact, I had an extremely hard time finding ANYTHING that I could physicaly hold, feel, and SEE on any of the store shelves. Comparison shopping wasn't an option as all I could find was one brand on display (LaCie), and another (Samsung) that could've be ordered in IF I was willing to prepay for it, then 'suffer' a restocking fee if I didn't like it.
  • Options
    Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I pulled the trigger today on the U2311H. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a mistake. clap.gif Should have it by next week. My PC is failing so I decided to upgrade the monitor also. I started to get the 2209WA for less $$$, But decided to take a chance.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Y_Knot wrote: »
    I pulled the trigger today on the U2311H. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a mistake. clap.gif Should have it by next week. My PC is failing so I decided to upgrade the monitor also. I started to get the 2209WA for less $$$, But decided to take a chance.

Depends on how picky you will be about seeing a faint tint on a white or light gray background.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1518544&page=14

This seems to be a common issue with a number of the recent H-IPS type or similar TFT paneled monitors.

You can use this web page to check the panel.
    http://tapplox.com/imac-led.html

• Options
    Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »
    Depends on how picky you will be about seeing a faint tint on a white or light gray background.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1518544&page=14

This seems to be a common issue with a number of the recent H-IPS type or similar TFT paneled monitors.

You can use this web page to check the panel.
    http://tapplox.com/imac-led.html

Thanks for the info. It has to be better than my 22" TN Dell that I have now which I really like. If it only has a faint tint, I'll be alright with it. If not, I'll send it back. Reading the link you sent it looks like the later build dates had less tinting problems.