SmugLoader - manage your SmugMug photos and videos

Comments

• NorthernBuckNorthernBuck Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Does this thing have windows 7 issues? I can't seem to get it to upload at all.
  • udyudy Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Does this thing have windows 7 issues? I can't seem to get it to upload at all.

It has been developed on Windows 7 32bit lately, so it should work at least on 32bit. Nevertheless, the same build worked on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (64bit AFAIK). Can you give me more details? Is your system 32bit, or 64bit? What's your version of java?

I'm glad to receive feedback, but it must not be so spartan.

Thanks
  • NorthernBuckNorthernBuck Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    udy wrote:
    It has been developed on Windows 7 32bit lately, so it should work at least on 32bit. Nevertheless, the same build worked on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (64bit AFAIK). Can you give me more details? Is your system 32bit, or 64bit? What's your version of java?

I'm glad to receive feedback, but it must not be so spartan.

Thanks

64 bit - newest version of Java (updated yesterday or the day before). It could be that I'm doing something wrong. I looked for something that explained how this whole smugloader thing works and couldn't find anything.
    edited April 23, 2010
    64 bit - newest version of Java (updated yesterday or the day before). It could be that I'm doing something wrong. I looked for something that explained how this whole smugloader thing works and couldn't find anything.

I initially thought that the application didn't work at all.

At least the toggle button you should click to get to the upload screen should be obvious.

Until I'll put a help in place (or maybe somebody else will do it), please take a look here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1367616&postcount=96

Thanks
    edited April 23, 2010
    I put together a quick tour of the upload process.

You can find it here.
    edited April 23, 2010
    Announcement
    There are news that maybe went all unnoticed. So this is for your information.

I opened twitter, and facebook accounts for SmugLoader. This is for those that find them easier to follow.

They will updated as soon as there are news about the development of SmugLoader.
    edited April 29, 2010
    Linux fix
    I uploaded a special build for Linux. The build will also work on Windows, and Mac OS X, but I marked it for convenience.

The build fixes a regression with the null icons in some UI themes for Linux.

So those using Linux, if beta-3 didn't work for you, then beta-3-linux should work.

Thanks.
    edited April 30, 2010
    The Album Quick Settings started to have effect, thanks to a fix in the API. So if you have created Quick Settings, you can use them with beta-3. Right click the album, choose a Quick Settings entry, and Apply.

There is no feedback on the operation being finished, since I stopped working on the feature, when I saw that it didn't work. I will implement feedback in Beta-4. Until then, you can see a focus change on the components :-P, and you can refresh the albums tree, to see if the settings have been applied.
    edited April 30, 2010
    SmugLoader will not run on Java 5.

So right now SmugLoader requires Java 6.

If you specifically want it to run on Java 5 (like if you are users of Mac OS X older than v10.6), please let me know. If there will be enough requests, I'll think about providing a special build.
  • ding1979ding1979 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2010
    where can I get the source code? I'm very interesting in this application.
    udy wrote: »
    SmugLoader will not run on Java 5.

So right now SmugLoader requires Java 6.

If you specifically want it to run on Java 5 (like if you are users of Mac OS X older than v10.6), please let me know. If there will be enough requests, I'll think about providing a special build.
    edited May 21, 2010
    Beta-4 release announcement
    Hello everybody!

It's been a while since I gave news about SmugLoader.

The new beta 4 will be the last beta before the release candidate. The most important new feature is the detection of duplicates. It uses the algorithm described here: http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=727190&postcount=3

As you can see in the image below, the duplicates can be detected globally, or per album. There is a checkbox for newly created albums to be checked for duplicates also.

dupl-detection-policy.png

Globally means that the SmugLoader will synchronize itself with the site, fetching all the info necessary for detection of duplicates. All the images on the site will be checked against the current album to be uploaded. This operation could take a while. If the user uses only SL for removal, upload operations, it should stay in sync. There is an option given to sync, or not, just before the upload begins.

Per album means that the detection will take place only for the album where the current image is uploaded to.

For both the options above, the detection can be restricted to only a subset of albums. See the screenshots at the link below.

The detection can be switched off before the upload gets started.

For more screenshots of the new UI changes, please visit
    http://sl.bulcu.ro/screenshots/windows, and take a look at the last 6 screenshots.

Other enhancements:
    • fixed a bug with the files which had illegal names for an URL;
    • the quick settings operation now gives visual feedback;
    • added custom icons for categories, and subcategories. This permanently fixes an issue SL had with some Linux themes;
    • SL is ready for internationalization. There is a resource file that I can give to anyone willing to translate it, or verify it (this is for native English speakers);
    • other minor fixes.
    The duplicates detection uses code I made for extracting EXIF data from JPEGs. It is code I especially implemented for this purpose, giving SL the advantage to stay thin (no other external libraries). This means that I need your feedback, if anything goes wrong with it.

The build will be most probably available after the weekend.

I hope you will enjoy this realease. You can make SL a better product by providing feedback (soooo wanted).

Have a nice weekend.
    edited May 23, 2010
    Beta-4 released
    This is the official announcement of the release of Beta-4. Being a beta software, and the last beta, I need as much feedback as it is possible. Remember you can really help me make SmugLoader better.

Read my previous post for the news.

Enjoy! :D
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I just bumped into this post. I'll have to give it a try again soon. Seems like there's been lots of improvements. :)
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited May 26, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    I just bumped into this post. I'll have to give it a try again soon. Seems like there's been lots of improvements. :)

:-) Well, it's there to be tested. It's all it needs for now.
    edited May 26, 2010
    I'm still thinking about the proper way to deal with a broken connection during the confirmation phase. I mean the photo could already be on the server, and SL would retry an upload, leading to a duplicate. This scenario faults the duplicates detection, because the file is recorded as being part of that album only in the case the confirmation is received. I consider 2 approaches:
    1. Manual - the user chooses to retry, if he verifies that the file isn't on the server.
    2. Automatic - I'm not sure it's bullet proof.
    edited May 26, 2010
    I'm still thinking about the proper way to deal with a broken connection during the confirmation phase. I mean the photo could already be on the server, and SL would retry an upload, leading to a duplicate. This scenario faults the duplicates detection, because the file is recorded as being part of that album only in the case the confirmation is received. I consider 2 approaches:
    1. Manual - the user chooses to retry, if he verifies that the file isn't on the server.
    2. Automatic - I'm not sure it's bullet proof.
    I think since there are sometimes issues on SM's end with a lag in the confirmation or no confirmation at all, it should be on a delay where it moves that item to the end of the queue. This way, it gives SM time to process and display the photo if it was uploaded, and then it will be picked up as a duplicate. Otherwise, it will just be uploaded like normal since no dupe is found. thumb.gif

The only way this could be foiled is with a small batch with a large number of upload threads. Then the retry may happen too quickly.

The other thing to do is to make a "duplicate cleaner" operation that compares the batch with what is in the album once it is uploaded. If any image shows up as being duplicate more than once (multiple duplicates), it prompts the user if they want to delete the images.
    edited May 26, 2010
    I think since there are sometimes issues on SM's end with a lag in the confirmation or no confirmation at all, it should be on a delay where it moves that item to the end of the queue. This way, it gives SM time to process and display the photo if it was uploaded, and then it will be picked up as a duplicate. Otherwise, it will just be uploaded like normal since no dupe is found. thumb.gif

The only way this could be foiled is with a small batch with a large number of upload threads. Then the retry may happen too quickly.
    Yeah... That delay is the issue. How long should it wait? rolleyes1.gif
    The other thing to do is to make a "duplicate cleaner" operation that compares the batch with what is in the album once it is uploaded. If any image shows up as being duplicate more than once (multiple duplicates), it prompts the user if they want to delete the images.
    This is a good idea. I've been thinking about it too, about what to do with multiple files that reside on the server, and are duplicates of one file. This could happen if there are duplicate entries on the server, with, or without the same name. But I'm evaluating if this will make it into SL 0.5. I mean it would force another beta, which I'm not so willing to happen. But the operation will, in a way or another, be there one day.

Thanks very much for the reply.
    edited May 26, 2010
    Yeah... That delay is the issue. How long should it wait? rolleyes1.gif
    Well, if the unconfirmed image times out after some ridiculous number like 10-15 seconds, I think that's reasonable. I mean, how long does the confirmation process take? Maybe code a small time test and see what type of average numbers you get. Or better yet, make the unconfirmed image timeout a user-selectable option. thumb.gif
    This is a good idea. I've been thinking about it too, about what to do with multiple files that reside on the server, and are duplicates of one file. This could happen if there are duplicate entries on the server, with, or without the same name. But I'm evaluating if this will make it into SL 0.5. I mean it would force another beta, which I'm not so willing to happen. But the operation will, in a way or another, be there one day.
    One of the easiest ways to implement a duplicate finder is to compare not only file name and file size, but also the exif information. If the exif, file name, and file size are identical, more than likely the image is identical.
    edited May 26, 2010
    Well, if the unconfirmed image times out after some ridiculous number like 10-15 seconds, I think that's reasonable. I mean, how long does the confirmation process take? Maybe code a small time test and see what type of average numbers you get. Or better yet, make the unconfirmed image timeout a user-selectable option. thumb.gif
    As I said, I'm in the process of thinking... :-)
    One of the easiest ways to implement a duplicate finder is to compare not only file name and file size, but also the exif information. If the exif, file name, and file size are identical, more than likely the image is identical.
    Have you read the announcement? deal.gif
    edited June 2, 2010
    I replaced the Beta-4 build with a new one that tries to fix an odd issue with some sun's java method call in a multithreaded environment.
    This issue was discovered last year, and hit an Apache project too.

I hope it will work fine.
    edited June 2, 2010
    I replaced the Beta-4 build again. This one fixes a more serious issue, which could lead to potentially upload the same file more than once.
  • BobTheBombBobTheBomb Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2010
    Hi, just tried this out - great app, fantastic work!

Just a quick bug report for you, right-clicking on album and selecting "Quick Settings...", the close button doesn't work until you actually set something. So if you open it by accident (or are just playing to see what you can do ;) ) you can't close it again. Once you've applied settings the close button then works.

For ref this was on Windows 7 64-bit (if that makes any difference to anything).

Cheers,
    Dave
    edited June 7, 2010
    BobTheBomb wrote: »
    Hi, just tried this out - great app, fantastic work!

Just a quick bug report for you, right-clicking on album and selecting "Quick Settings...", the close button doesn't work until you actually set something. So if you open it by accident (or are just playing to see what you can do ;) ) you can't close it again. Once you've applied settings the close button then works.

For ref this was on Windows 7 64-bit (if that makes any difference to anything).

Cheers,
    Dave

Thanks for you kind words, Dave! :-)

And thanks for your nice catch! I'll fix it.
  • scowittscowitt Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2010
    It's not working! Won't install (Windows XP system). I'm clicking on the SmugLoaderLauncher file, my computer asks if I want to open the file, click "Open", and nothing happens. :-(
    edited July 14, 2010
    scowitt wrote: »
    It's not working! Won't install (Windows XP system). I'm clicking on the SmugLoaderLauncher file, my computer asks if I want to open the file, click "Open", and nothing happens. :-(

Hi,

Have you read the information about the application? You need java to be installed.

I hope it helps.
  • scowittscowitt Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 14, 2010
    Uh yes, the latest version of Java is installed, so please suggest something else!
    edited July 14, 2010
    Uh yes, the latest version of Java is installed, so please suggest something else!

Have you tried to use the SmugLoader-0.5.jar file directly?

If yes, and still have had problems, please let me know.
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    SmugLoader questions -- first time trying it
    I'm on Windows Vista, have the latest Java installed, and downloaded two different versions of SmugLoader using FF 3.6.6. (I only downloaded the second after I couldn't even find the first -- for some reason the first one, which was the latest Beta 0.5 one, went straight to Recycle Bin, and we couldn't figure out any way to open it or use the program). So the second one I downloaded was the Linux version -- just under the most recent. I think it would be handy if you could include something (if possible) that would allow the person to save the program to the correct location on their computer. It doesn't currently ask, whether you choose "open" or "save". To find it later, we had to do a search. We found 6 files or so. It also took awhile to figure out how to open the program at all. I believe my spouse had to look up jarloader & find out what that was, before realizing we needed something to open it.

Anyway, all that aside-- it looks pretty good & useful for downloading galleries, & I'm very excited to be able to do that! But... so far I'm unable to do anything on the "download" page. In other words, I'm in a gallery. I click on the arrow icon, which brings up another page & it appears that I'll be able to download some or all the photos from that gallery. There are a few default selections. But I can't change or click on anything-- there's no response. Do you know of anything I could be doing wrong? Or am I using the wrong version?

Also, could you direct me to a list of things I should be able to do in SmugLoader? I'm really not clear on what it's able to do. It appears I could change captions or add keywords, etc. but I'm so far not able to do that. I can only view them. Maybe it's mainly for uploading/downloading? I can't really let you know of "bugs" unless I know what it should be able to do. Thanks!! (P.S... when I click on "Help" in the program, nothing comes up)
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2010
    We needed to download some program to un-zip it (I think!) after looking up info. online about jar files. Only mentioning this until Udy can get back to you, because my trying to answer fully would be a bad case of the blind leading the blind!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
    edited July 28, 2010
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. First you can find more info about SmugLoader on its page: sl.bulcu.ro

Next, you can find my thoughts inline.
    I'm on Windows Vista, have the latest Java installed, and downloaded two different versions of SmugLoader using FF 3.6.6. (I only downloaded the second after I couldn't even find the first -- for some reason the first one, which was the latest Beta 0.5 one, went straight to Recycle Bin, and we couldn't figure out any way to open it or use the program). So the second one I downloaded was the Linux version -- just under the most recent. I think it would be handy if you could include something (if possible) that would allow the person to save the program to the correct location on their computer. It doesn't currently ask, whether you choose "open" or "save". To find it later, we had to do a search. We found 6 files or so. It also took awhile to figure out how to open the program at all. I believe my spouse had to look up jarloader & find out what that was, before realizing we needed something to open it.

It's strange it landed in your Recycle Bin. It's the first time I hear about that. rolleyes1.gif Try setting FF to Always ask you where to save files. Or you could just set the folder you want the files saved to. You can do either using the Preferences windows, on the General tab.

You basically download a zip file, containing the application. You have to extract the content of it, and, presuming that java is correctly installed, all you have left to do is to directly run the SmugLoader-0.5.jar, or the SmugLoaderLauncher.jar file, by double-clicking it. It should work like with any executable file in Windows.
    Anyway, all that aside-- it looks pretty good & useful for downloading galleries, & I'm very excited to be able to do that! But... so far I'm unable to do anything on the "download" page. In other words, I'm in a gallery. I click on the arrow icon, which brings up another page & it appears that I'll be able to download some or all the photos from that gallery. There are a few default selections. But I can't change or click on anything-- there's no response. Do you know of anything I could be doing wrong? Or am I using the wrong version?

Before downloading anything, you have to add files, or galleries to the queue. You can do that by selecting the appropriate actions in the contextual menu. Right click on a file, or gallery, and choose the action. That will add the file(s) to the queue. You then go to the downloads page, select your options, and click the download button.

Also, could you direct me to a list of things I should be able to do in SmugLoader? I'm really not clear on what it's able to do. It appears I could change captions or add keywords, etc. but I'm so far not able to do that. I can only view them. Maybe it's mainly for uploading/downloading? I can't really let you know of "bugs" unless I know what it should be able to do. Thanks!! (P.S... when I click on "Help" in the program, nothing comes up)

SmugLoader is in the final stages of its 0.5 version. This version is focusing primarily on downloads, and uploads, with some added functionality, like creating galleries, etc. You'll find more info on its page.

The help doesn't exist yet. It's on the to do list. Sorry.