Options

Solid rocket boosters fall away...

Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
edited July 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
I was amazed that I was able to capture this...I couldn't see it with my naked eye...just a lucky capture. I know it's small, but better than I have ever been able to get before.

I used 70-200VR w/ TC 1.7 :

Todays launch of Discovery STS-114

I was shooting from the bank of the Indian river in Melbourne, FL; about 45 min south of the Cape
29840873-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    I'm so Jealous.

We should try to organize a dgrin shuttle launch shoot in a year or two. I'm sure lots of people from here would wanna check that out.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Hi Trish
    Small, but high cool factor. What was your EXIF data for this shot? I'd love to be able to see a launch. The closest I've ever been to a launch is seeing the evening contrails from missiles being launched from Vandenberg AFB. Not quite the same.

Thanks for the glimpse,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Way to go, Trish! That's cool, I'm really jealous. Any other pics or did you just enjoy the show?
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    I'm so Jealous.

We should try to organize a dgrin shuttle launch shoot in a year or two. I'm sure lots of people from here would wanna check that out.

Hi dragon,

It is a very hit or miss situation with launches. So many times over the past 20 yrs I made the trek closer to the launch only to be disappointed due to the launch being scrubbed. I now stay close to home and am satisfied with the the view. I would hate to see people try to plan a trip based on something so uncertain. Living here makes it so much less frustrating if something is cancelled for 2 weeksne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    Small, but high cool factor. What was your EXIF data for this shot? I'd love to be able to see a launch. The closest I've ever been to a launch is seeing the evening contrails from missiles being launched from Vandenberg AFB. Not quite the same.

Thanks for the glimpse,
    Chris
    Hi chris,
    a few other shots of the launch and EXIF can be found here:
    http://fahner.smugmug.com/gallery/687429/1
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Way to go, Trish! That's cool, I'm really jealous. Any other pics or did you just enjoy the show?

Hi,
    it definately is cool to see live. I took a few other shots, can be seen here:
    http://fahner.smugmug.com/gallery/687429/1
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    That ain't top secret is it? :D

Bear
    I don't think so:D
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2005
    Wow... nice! There are certain days I wish I lived in Florida. The only time I saw the shuttle launch (STS-113), it took two trips from Orlando to the Cape because of a 1st night scrub (rain in Spain...).

It actually wasn't as loud as I expected. But I know the weather and wind can affect the sound, and it was a pretty cold night. Still breathtaking though! I missed hitting my shutter button until the Shuttle was out of the frame! No regrets, though.
    Chris