Canon 40D firmware 1.1.1 released

TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
edited May 29, 2010 in Cameras
Canon USA posted firmware version 1.1.1 for the 40D yesterday. Just some minor bug fixes, by the looks of the release notes.
Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Terrence wrote:
    Canon USA posted firmware version 1.1.1 for the 40D yesterday. Just some minor bug fixes, by the looks of the release notes.

Thank you, Terrence. thumb.gif
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2009
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2009
    Thanks for letting us know, I will upgrade when I get home tonight
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • mikeshotsmikeshots Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    I've never done a firmware update before and I just got my 40D yesterday. Any quick tips on how to do this properly? Thanks!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 23, 2009
    mikeshots wrote:
    I've never done a firmware update before and I just got my 40D yesterday. Any quick tips on how to do this properly? Thanks!

Just make sure that you start with a fully charged battery and then follow the directions at the Canon site. If the battery should fail during the update you might have to send your camera in for repairs so it's pretty important that it is full first.

It's also a good idea to check your firmware version first and make sure that you need the updates. I don't update if I don't need the benefits of the particular update.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    mikeshots wrote:
    Not really. I just did it for the first time, using a CF card to do the update. Just follow the instructions on the update page, linked above, and pay attention to the warnings about using a fully charged battery, not touching buttons during the write operation, removing the battery at the end and so on. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes from start of download to finish. No problem. thumb.gif

Edit: Oops, I see Ziggy beat me to it.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • mikeshotsmikeshots Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Thanks guys! I checked my firmware when I got the camera and it was still 1.0.8. I'm charging my battery right now.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    So . . . I'm confused . . . headscratch.gif . . . I do not have a "CF card reader" so how am I supposed to get the firmware from my computer onto the CF card and into my camera? ne_nau.gif (and yes, I'm blonde)

mikeshots wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I checked my firmware when I got the camera and it was still 1.0.8. I'm charging my battery right now.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 27, 2010
    Buy a CF card reader, preferably a Firewire version, or at least a USB 2.0 version. You know you really need one.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 27, 2010
    Okey dokey!

pathfinder wrote: »
    Buy a CF card reader, preferably a Firewire version, or at least a USB 2.0 version.
    edited May 29, 2010
    So, I'm using a card reader and trying to update my Firmware for my 40D. I'm following the directions to the letter, but every time I try to update, I get an error message saying "CF card containing firmware is required to update. Cannot update." I've tried this 4 times now and get the same message. The firmware software is definitely on the CF card and not in a subfolder, etc. Help please? eek7.gif

GoofBckt wrote: »
    Okey dokey!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 29, 2010
    GoofBckt wrote: »
    So, I'm using a card reader and trying to update my Firmware for my 40D. I'm following the directions to the letter, but every time I try to update, I get an error message saying "CF card containing firmware is required to update. Cannot update." I've tried this 4 times now and get the same message. The firmware software is definitely on the CF card and not in a subfolder, etc. Help please? eek7.gif

Start over and format the card in the camera. Don't just erase files you need a fresh format.
    Pull the card out of the camera and put the card into the reader attached to your computer.
    Run the software you downloaded from the Canon site and when it asks where to store the output firmware file, choose your card reader.
    Double check to make sure the file was installed onto the flash card. (There should be a single file with an "fir" suffix on the card.)
    Put the card back into the camera and attempt the firmware update again.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 29, 2010
    HAHA!!! That worked!! Thank you so much!
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Start over and format the card in the camera. Don't just erase files you need a fresh format.
    Pull the card out of the camera and put the card into the reader attached to your computer.
    Run the software you downloaded from the Canon site and when it asks where to store the output firmware file, choose your card reader.
    Double check to make sure the file was installed onto the flash card. (There should be a single file with an "fir" suffix on the card.)
    Put the card back into the camera and attempt the firmware update again.