Options

Shannon and Jeff - Yosemite Elopement

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited May 29, 2010 in Weddings
It seems like all I ever do is shoot and blog these days! From this week, Shannon and Jeff got married in El Capitan meadow. Weird weather, one moment rain, the next sun - crazy light but no rainbows! I spent a few hours with them meandering through the park stopping by some of my favorite spots. Just a few here :)

0ea76c70460ee95551e4ad3e2381aa78.jpg

f7e3ac7e9881cfecd049722c3541edb2.jpg

045ed0de46f9eaa6a1225b9c32d18c51.jpg

e043192c330e0ee18dd69700371fd13a.jpg

4a3e927a552eaaf4484bbc16b90aa4c1.jpg

d37e049ef247cce8b43d962d09c223d2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Partrick, #5 is just phenomenal. What a great concept! Thx for sharing.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Nahhhhh, looove #4 (and of course the rest of the set too, haha). Very pretty!!
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    3 is my favorite...like the rest.

Have you noticed the size of her feet in 5...looks like you were a bit too close...she has the feet of a giant. Just thought I would point that out.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Those are awesome, especially #3.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    #3 is my fave...amazing work, as always!
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2010
    Thanks everyone for looking!

@Ed I know what you mean about her feet, I knew it when I shot it, but it was tough to avoid on location. I did snap a frame with her feet covered by the dress but I liked this one better. The best solution for next time involves a different location where I can move around the bride differently.
  • Options
    NiepceNiepce Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2010
    sabesh wrote: »
    Partrick, #5 is just phenomenal. What a great concept! Thx for sharing.
    For me it looks a little bit like she has fallen from a cliff... rolleyes1.gif

The rest are splendid, though. As always! thumb.gif
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    Ed911 wrote: »
    3 is my favorite...like the rest.

Have you noticed the size of her feet in 5...looks like you were a bit too close...she has the feet of a giant. Just thought I would point that out.

She is giant all over in 3, but I like them both! These are great my friend! Each and every one is stellar. Somehow I think you managed to kick it up a notch on this shoot! bowdown.gif

So 6... speedlight or video light and snoot or post?

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2010
    I really like 6 and 2, I think 2 would be stronger as a square crop. 1 is OK, but I'd rather see a more elemental composition, panned down to include wheels and maybe tracks and less or no sky and trees. It is too tight in the frame on the sides for how loose it is on the top, the platform is cropped awkwardly. I'm also not crazy about the processing, maybe a little too "glowy", but it is consistent with your style. Very nice stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the good words! #3 was one of my favorites for the day. I wanted to shoot this with a longer lens, but the bride was short and the meadow was crowded.... who wants to see a bunch of strangers in your wedding photos?

Matt #6 was shot using a speedlight and a tight grid. I like grids better than snoots because they have a more pleasing falloff to my eyes. That was taken at about 2 in the afternoon, so I am not sure a videolight would have even been noticeable.

Jason good call on the square crop for #2, I think that will get rid of the distracting dead spot in the lower left third. As I look at #1 more and more, I think I need to crop out the sides of the frame so no green is visible on the bottom or sides. I forgot why I shot it without the wheels, but it I think there might have been trash on the ground or something (not that that's an excuse).
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the good words! #3 was one of my favorites for the day. I wanted to shoot this with a longer lens, but the bride was short and the meadow was crowded.... who wants to see a bunch of strangers in your wedding photos?

Matt #6 was shot using a speedlight and a tight grid. I like grids better than snoots because they have a more pleasing falloff to my eyes. That was taken at about 2 in the afternoon, so I am not sure a videolight would have even been noticeable.

Jason good call on the square crop for #2, I think that will get rid of the distracting dead spot in the lower left third. As I look at #1 more and more, I think I need to crop out the sides of the frame so no green is visible on the bottom or sides. I forgot why I shot it without the wheels, but it I think there might have been trash on the ground or something (not that that's an excuse).

Ahh yes, a grid. I always forget about those! Yeah in daylight you would have been struggling with a video light I bet. Nice effect though.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2010
    How did i miss these on your blog, Patrick? Gorgeous! Love the one with the bride laying down. Awesome!!!!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum